Author Topic: What kind of geographic terrain will create this weather pattern?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Long try

Hi everyone!

I want to search for a place where in summer, the day is cloudy and the night is really clear; but in winter it's reversed, clear days and cloudy nights. My guess is that there must be some geographical components involved in order to create that kind of climate, but I don't know what they are. Can you help me with this 'Earth science' stuff?

Also, is there a place in the US that demonstrates that particular weather pattern? Or, do you happen to know any place in the world having it?

Thanks in advance!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: What kind of geographic terrain will create this weather pattern?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 05:12:45 AM »
that can exist for summer, but not readily for winter
i.e cloudy afternoons due to afternoon heating and convection is common over land, and at night time , over land, when the land cools, the sky clears
to get the opposite occuring in winter
you would have it where the cooler night temperature leads to cloud cover developing, especially over the ocean, where there is plenty of moisture and inversion layers
and then that 'burns off' during the day

so you can have it occur..but one place is over land in the summer and the other place is over the ocean in the winter...so not the same place for both
just my 2 cents

Offline Long try

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 12:39:15 AM »
Maybe if some place has prevailing wind in 1 direction in summer and one with opposite direction in winter then the pattern is possible?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 12:44:24 AM »
that sort of wind direction swap from season to season happens in the tropics where you have trade winds, e,g indonesia
i.e the winter is the dry season
with clear skies during the day
but the nights are not exactly cloudy either

Offline Long try

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:13:11 AM »
Can you be a bit more specific? As per my understanding, trade wind is stronger in winter, so Indonesia will have northeastern wind during that time, right? That means in summer they have southwestern wind? What would cause that SW blowing?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:45:03 AM »
monsoon winds in the summer
i.e heating up of the asia area
and its more SE than SW during summer (trade wind) ...at least for parts of Indonesia south of the equator

Offline Long try

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
OK.. so NE wind in the winter & SE in the summer. But then, Indonesia would have cloudy(ish) weather day & night because the whole country is surrounded by the ocean with lots of vapor, right? So hardly a clear night or clear day, in any season.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:31 AM »
The wet season will have thunderstorms/ monsoonal rain ,which can go through the night
But the dry season, you will get clear skies day and night
At times, even though there is humidity the temperature is higher than the dew point and the atmosphere is stable
Look at satellite pictures for southern Indonesia now, dry season there now

anything