Author Topic: La Crosse RS-232 protocol  (Read 5740 times)

Offline N9IVQ

La Crosse RS-232 protocol
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:26 AM »
Does anyone know how to "speak" La Crosse WS-2308 protocol via rs-232? I am looking to write my own application for a specific purpose and need to speak with the weather station.
If anyone has the protocols they would be appriciated. Frankly, this will be the last La Corsse i purchase. Any manufacture who does not want to publish the communications protocol is not worth dealing with. After all, anyone who developes software to works with their stations only expands their sales. But since it is some kind of national secret we will let them have their little game and but from another mor cooperative company. Speaking of which, any thoughts on who is the best company about publishing their information as well as producing a quality product?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: La Crosse RS-232 protocol
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »
Does anyone know how to "speak" La Crosse WS-2308 protocol via rs-232? I am looking to write my own application for a specific purpose and need to speak with the weather station.
If anyone has the protocols they would be appriciated. Frankly, this will be the last La Corsse i purchase. Any manufacture who does not want to publish the communications protocol is not worth dealing with. After all, anyone who developes software to works with their stations only expands their sales. But since it is some kind of national secret we will let them have their little game and but from another mor cooperative company. Speaking of which, any thoughts on who is the best company about publishing their information as well as producing a quality product?

Do a Google for open2300. It is a C based open source project. There is also a Wiki that documents the protocol and internal memory of the console if you want to write the protocol in a different language.

Peet Bros has an open serial protocol that is well documented.

Davis supports the units using a DLL (supports both serial and USB units). I have heard that the USB type console should be avoided.

The Oregon Scientific WMR (928, 968) consoles are well documented on the net (reverse engineered from what I can see). The WMR100 is USB based, the protocol is not available (unless you are the author of VWS that ships with the WMR100).

Good luck.