Author Topic: Meteobridge Nano purchase?  (Read 894 times)

Offline TomS

Meteobridge Nano purchase?
« on: March 28, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »
I don't know how appropriate this is to ask here, so admin can remove...

Where have people in the USA purchased their Nano (or NanoSD) from?  Ambient Weather seems to be on the pretty high side pricewise - higher than European options, although not sure of import taxes.  Just wondering if anyone has used distributors in Europe to purchase.

Also, Ambient doesn't seem to offer just the Nano - only the SD.

Feel free to PM me if that is more appropriate.

Thanks.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Meteobridge Nano purchase?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
Ambient Weather is the only place I know and the only place I have bought anything smartbedded related.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
Ambient Weather is a good place.

btw, nano and nano sd are the SAME, one just has an sd card installed. you'll have to purchase sd card separately. read the mb wiki before purchasing sd card for info on what cards are known as good.

Offline swordsmn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:58:43 PM »
I bought mine from Switzerland.  No issues. very prompt, frequent shipping updates. 
Pro2 (6163) Nano SD
WU: KGATUCKE23

Offline TomS

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
yes, thanks - have read the wiki.  would get my own sd card to meet specs listed but ambient doesn't sell just the nano as far as I can see (nano-sd only).

Offline TomS

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:03:55 PM »
Thanks swordsmn - I may follow your lead.  Were there import duty/taxes?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
There is another difference with the Ambient version and it is a big difference. It isn't more expensive from Ambient bcause it is the SD version nor is it more expensive because Ambient is jacking up the price...because they aren't. The reason it is more expensive is because only the version sold by Ambient comes with the license to publish to Ambientweather.net. This is a $150 extra value that European versions can add to theirs. You might at first think that you don't want this extra license but it is pretty cool to have. By being able to send your data to Ambientweather.net you are then able to tie in Amazon Alexa and/or Google Assistant voice control to access your weather data. But Ambientweather.net is pretty cool by itself also.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline swordsmn

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
I think duty/shipping were in the price or low
if you pm me i will give you link to store i used.
I liked having the mfgr spec’d sd preinstalled and including the weather34 template.
instant home “website” accessible to friends. I do hv an issue with rain registering  differently
than console but I think that’s my fault.  i hv another query posted here and on meteobride forum in europe but no replis yet. All that said I love the unit
Pro2 (6163) Nano SD
WU: KGATUCKE23

Offline TomS

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
Thanks galfert - I understand what you are saying about the added value of ambientweather.net - just not sure it is essential for me.  Between the on-board display from nano-sd, and publishing to wunderground, pwsweather etc, not sure I need another destination for my weather data.  Appreciate the input.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Thanks galfert - I understand what you are saying about the added value of ambientweather.net - just not sure it is essential for me.  Between the on-board display from nano-sd, and publishing to wunderground, pwsweather etc, not sure I need another destination for my weather data.  Appreciate the input.

That's fine. I understand your point too. But I'll mention one more positive thing about publishing your data to Ambientweather.net....you can turn on a notification if your station stops sending data for more than 20 minutes. Because if it stopped sending to Ambientweather.net then it most likely stopped sending to other places too. So you can investigate if you have an Internet outage that needs a modem restart or the cleaning person bumped the electrical cord or your cat/dog ate the electrical cord or you suffered a power surge or other equipment failure....etc.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »
I am with galfert, I love having the ambient weather alerts. They really do work well. The extra price is worth it to me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:25:31 PM by Mchd17 »

Offline TomS

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:26:12 AM »
Thanks all.  Since I already have a rPi running meteohub connected to the davis, this is more of an "update" for me - get rid of the extra hardware/cables, and a more robust graphing/reporting platform (I think). 

So I have to decide whether the cost ($300+) is worth it to me.   Limited disposable income is working against me here.

anything