Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 185026 times)

Offline PaulKTF

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1350 on: March 08, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
When trying to set up email alerts, any city I put in gives me a "City Not Round". Also there are different entries for (City, Two Letter Abbreviation) and (City, Full Spelling Of State) if that matters. Neither works.
-Paul.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1351 on: March 08, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »
It appears that more than half of the site has gone 404.  It's not you, it's WU!

IBM couldn't run a Geocities page right now.  What a joke.

Offline jwreynoldson

« Reply #1352 on: March 09, 2019, 05:26:27 PM »
Dewpoint graph problem!

Since June last year when I temporarily had a humidity sensor on my station (IFLINDER3) but then removed it (too much salt in the air, and it kept failing), the dewpoint is shown continuously on the graphs (and table) as -17.8C  ( zero F ) even though my software doesn't report dewpoint or humidity at all if the sensor's not online!   I've tried manually POSTing via a GET a valid dewpoint figure, but while that appears on the graph momentarily, the dewpoint graph immediately reverts to zero Fahrenheit.
(In addition, if I don't include readings for the other parameters in the GET, WU seems to assume that for that reading, temperature, pressure, wind direction and windspeed are all zero, so the rest of the days graphs get screwed up!)

This means that the temperature graph gets all squished up and is of little use as a visual aid.  Also, it must be affecting the quality control process, as the station isn't appearing on the maps display despite all other data being good.

I have been tempted to send a 0 deg C (32F) dewpoint value simply so the graph looks better, but don't want to compromise the quality of the data sent.

Is this a known issue? and if so is there a solution or workaround?   As the station runs on my own custom software (ESP8266 based) I can easily modify the request format and parameters.

Cheers
John R.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:50:52 PM by jwreynoldson »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1353 on: March 10, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »
...But I won't cut IBM some slack....they need to dedicate more resources to this small group.

I think this is more than just a small group.  Extrapolate the cost of a single commercial grade sensor over the vast worldwide PWS network that WU has access to for free - mid-quality sensors with no up-front or maintenance costs.  This is the original crowd-sourced medium.

https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/overview.asp 

Talk about big data - if all 250k PWS are working and uploading every 5 minutes, it works out to 72,000,000 records every 24-hours.  I understand that there's a lot of data, but this isn't rocket surgery.  I do believe they're ignoring the qualitative Thick Data in all this (just learned about this yesterday  :-) ).

https://bigfishpr.com/the-power-of-thick-data/

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1354 on: March 10, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
...But I won't cut IBM some slack....they need to dedicate more resources to this small group.

I think this is more than just a small group.  Extrapolate the cost of a single commercial grade sensor over the vast worldwide PWS network that WU has access to for free - mid-quality sensors with no up-front or maintenance costs.  This is the original crowd-sourced medium.

It's more than that.  IBM  uses PWS data as a major component of their "Watson" micro-forecast product.  One of reasons they bought TWC was to get their hands on WU's PWS network.  I find it ironic (but not surprising) that IBM is pissing off the very people who provide that data, but IBM has a history of shooting itself in the head.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1355 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »

I think this is more than just a small group.

I didn't come up with the "small group" description. WU themselves are saying they are a small group.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.msg341726;topicseen#msg341726

It’s going to take some time with the small team we have.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:52:42 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Retired Navy

« Reply #1356 on: March 10, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
Well another day without the Nexrad radar. After having a mix of sleet/snow/rain overnight into this morning. I tried using my I phone to check the nexrad radar and,,, yep nothing. No matter what site i visited around this country, Nothing, nada, zip. Yes my laptop is up to date as is my phone.

Hate to say it, the NWS web site is looking better every day.  :shock:

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1357 on: March 10, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »

I didn't come up with the "small group" description. WU themselves are saying they are a small group.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.msg341726;topicseen#msg341726

It’s going to take some time with the small team we have.

I misunderstood the PWS community as "the small group".  It's the developers keeping the lights on.  My mistake.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1358 on: March 10, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
Looks like they've abandoned the Trello board.  The end is nigh.

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #1359 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
Well another day without the Nexrad radar. After having a mix of sleet/snow/rain overnight into this morning. I tried using my I phone to check the nexrad radar and,,, yep nothing. No matter what site i visited around this country, Nothing, nada, zip. Yes my laptop is up to date as is my phone.

Hate to say it, the NWS web site is looking better every day.  :shock:

No radar is arguably better than the fictional radar feed they fed to WUndermap for two days a few weeks ago.  I don't even know how they managed that feat.

Offline MrForce

« Reply #1360 on: March 11, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
Hi

I have been using WunderStation on my iPad for many years, but after an iOS update to version 12.x, WunderStation starts up with it’s logo but after that it only shows a white screen  :shock:

Any idears what the problem can be ?

Regards

Henrik, Denmark
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:49:33 PM by MrForce »

Offline Cincin

« Reply #1361 on: March 11, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
Slow loading mobile and desktop.  iPhone many times won't fully load, period.  Adds appear on desktop version on first load even though I have a paid membership.  Must reload page for the to disappear.  Late last week, Monday was completely missing from the 10 day forecast on all PWS in my area!

Offline soupcan

« Reply #1362 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:50 PM »
So I get a email today wanting me to express my frustrations, so I'll get started.
 I have been a contributing pws since 2005.  My ISP was changed approx 8 years ago so I had to change my email address on the Wu website.  Easy enough, I guess not.  Because to this day, my 8 year old email is the one that still shows up on your website after changing it to the correct email countless times.  And somehow in the process the website doesn't recognize me whatsoever.  I cant even access my weather station on the website.  It comes up as "no stations listed".  Plus when I view the website, it takes forever to load because of all of the ads associated on the page.  I was always provided with a ad free version since I was a contributing member.  Its very frustrating not being able to access my station despite multiple attempts and emails to the support team to try and iron out the issue.  My issued code key is a joke because its never given my access to anything whatsoever. 

I've been tempted to pull my station since I run it of it off its own computer just for Wunderground.  If I dont get the support soon to straiten it out soon I'm gone.  I hate the current website layout.  Each website version since the "classic" version has got worse.  What used to be my go to site for weather no longer is.  If you really want to help out like your original posts says prove it my sending me a PM or email fix my issues. 

Another thing, where the pws's in the area are listed on the bottom of the website.  What used to show approx 10-12 different stations now only shows two.  This issue just started this past week.  Plus when showing the "record highs/lows" for the date.  Please list the year in which the record(s) were set.  Its just not complete without it. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:28:25 PM by soupcan »

Offline ferencmerenda

« Reply #1363 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »
MISS INTELLICAST since it became merged with WU?  (I do).

WUpm (the user claiming to be from WeatherUnderground) does not seem to be very active.  When you right-click on his icon (at the start of this thread) you get:

Profile of WUpm

Date Registered: January 10, 2018, 01:34:28 PM
Local Time:March 13, 2019, 06:38:35 PM
Last Active: January 22, 2018, 08:59:12 AM

Doesn't seem very active.

Anyway, for those still missing Intellicast's maps, they seem to still be available at:

http://96.8.93.198

and they seem to be up to date.

Just in case anyone was interested.

Don't know how long they're going to remain there.

As a matter of courtesy, please let those interested know. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1364 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
Anyway, for those still missing Intellicast's maps, they seem to still be available at:

I was never an Intellicast user, but I'm wondering why this page says that all the Intellicast maps are available on WU, which seems to go contrary to your statement of looking for the maps on the old site???  :?:

https://www.wunderground.com/intellicast

Intellicast Maps Are Now Here on Weather Underground
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1365 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »

I was never an Intellicast user, but I'm wondering why this page says that all the Intellicast maps are available on WU, which seems to go contrary to your statement of looking for the maps on the old site???  :?:

https://www.wunderground.com/intellicast

Intellicast Maps Are Now Here on Weather Underground

Because IBM lied about that, too.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1366 on: March 14, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
which maps are you looking for that aren't on this page?
https://www.wunderground.com/maps

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #1367 on: March 15, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
My issue is simple , WU IBM weather channel their all playing us for fools. We take the time and money to send them data that they use and they don't even have the decency to let us know when things aren't going so good in WU land. Been sending data since 08 and they now say I don't have a webcam, I do they say my station isn't reporting it is. Getting pretty tired of it all.
John

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #1368 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »
I'm seeing two new issues.  (1) It tells me "You currently have no webcams", when they are actually there churning out images., and (2) when I try to access the "Scientific Discussion" section of the 10-day forecast, it sends me to a blank page -- it's been doing this for several days now.

I won't repeat the continuing nits, like often now filling in the summary data or graphs properly, etc.  How hard can this be?

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1369 on: March 15, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
which maps are you looking for that aren't on this page?
https://www.wunderground.com/maps
The point is people liked the Intellicast maps and content...they don't like the WU alternative.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1370 on: March 15, 2019, 06:22:24 PM »
I get that people don't like the wu format.  Nothing i can do about that.

If there are maps missing, that were on intellicast, but not on WU, i might be able to do something.

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1371 on: March 15, 2019, 09:39:34 PM »
Anyone know what this is all about? Just noticed it at the top of the WU page.

"Good news! We're moving PWS and Webcams to new systems. Visitors can expect some interruption to device signup, dashboard, and management pages the week of March 18."

No link to explain anything...

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1372 on: March 15, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
Anyone know what this is all about? Just noticed it at the top of the WU page.

"Good news! We're moving PWS and Webcams to new systems. Visitors can expect some interruption to device signup, dashboard, and management pages the week of March 18."

No link to explain anything...

Could it be that IBM is announcing that Big Blue has found a cure for cancer, determined that unemployment can be eliminated by year-end, tornadoes can now be a thing of the past, and we all will receive free healthcare for life? Unlikely, but one can only hope that IBM will move the ball slightly down field with this announcement! Such a result is long overdue, and stating that is being polite.

Update, March 16, 2019: Sarcasm aside, after reading post number 1375 from WU representative, wunderground-PWS, let’s hope some real fixes result. I really like how my personal weather stations on WU are displayed, when working correctly. What is interesting about this saga is the blurb “Good news! ...” has been deleted from our pws pages—not sure what that means.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:07:28 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1373 on: March 15, 2019, 10:07:39 PM »
I'm skeptically hopeful, if that's even a thing. Kind of like hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1374 on: March 16, 2019, 12:50:09 AM »
we're transitioning to a new login system.  to do this migration we need to stop all changes to most of our databases migration might take a couple of days as we validate and ensure everything is running smoothly.

This will set the stage for fixing some of the issues noted here over the last month or so, trouble logging in, station not reporting bug and the PWS pages acting funny.  This will also allow us to make sure webcams are correctly linked to the proper PWS stations.

It won't fix the webcams not uploading issue completely, but will build the groundwork for us to fix the problem. 

anything