Author Topic: wireless datalogging  (Read 6201 times)

Offline ajhuff

wireless datalogging
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
Are there any weather stations that have wireless datalogging or do they all require a USB connection to a computer? I am frustrated with the idea of having to connect a console to my laptop via USB to download data or see a graphical view of my data.

Thanks,

-AJ

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: wireless datalogging
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »
Are there any weather stations that have wireless datalogging or do they all require a USB connection to a computer? I am frustrated with the idea of having to connect a console to my laptop via USB to download data or see a graphical view of my data.

Thanks,

-AJ
Davis has an IP logger which connects to your local network. Your weatherprogram can than retrieve the data wireless directly from your local network.
Most weatherprograms support this setup.

Wim

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
My understanding is that the meteobridge will send data to WeatherUnderground but not back to a computer, that there is no way to download the data from meteobridge into a program like EasyWeather, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, etc. I think that WeatherExchange can access and show the weather data uploaded to WeatherUnderground from meteobridge but not log it.  Do I understand correctly?

Thanks for the replies,

-AJ

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
My understanding is that the meteobridge will send data to WeatherUnderground but not back to a computer, that there is no way to download the data from meteobridge into a program like EasyWeather, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, etc. I think that WeatherExchange can access and show the weather data uploaded to WeatherUnderground from meteobridge but not log it.  Do I understand correctly?

Thanks for the replies,

-AJ
No, you are not understanding.  In addition to seeing the live display via entering the MB IP address into your browser (internally or externally; the latter via port forwarding if course), you can easily use PUSH services in MB to  set up the files you need for many software packages.  Right now I  view live MB  logged weather via my PCs all over the house (and world for that matter); view it on my $50 Android tablet in full colour and PUSH  raw data into a MySQL database in the cloud (could also  push to a local DB) and email alerts to me.  There is also Twitter feeds etc.  http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Push_Services  For about a hundred bucks I am super impressed with MB.  It ain't perfect, but really neat especially if you don;t want a PC connected 24/7
I agree the full 100%. I run 2 meteobridges 24/7. See my demo site http://www.wiri.be/weather2/index.php?p=10 and on of my my real sites http://www.weerstation-herent.be/. The Saratoga template (Ken True) supports the Meteobridge also completely.
And the program  is fully supported and enhanced continually.
Succes Wim

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:09 AM »
Oh wow thanks. But looking at those websites, that's way over my head. I'm not an IT guy. I don't understand SQL or pushing. Dont even know what that means. I just want to be able to look at my data and graphs without using a USB connector.  I didn't think it would be this hard.  :(

-AJ

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
Im using a meteobridge with a OS wmr-100, you can push the data most anywhere. Works Great!!!

Now I just tried to buy a Davis 6250 and found out I have to have a data-logger (USB)in addition to my Meteobridge....
Is this true?? Are there any work arounds??

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
Im using a meteobridge with a OS wmr-100, you can push the data most anywhere. Works Great!!!

Now I just tried to buy a Davis 6250 and found out I have to have a data-logger (USB)in addition to my Meteobridge....
no workaround. EveryDavis station needs a logger to communicate with your weatherprogram.  You can choose which logger: USB, serial or IP.
Succes, Wim

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »

no workaround. EveryDavis station needs a logger to communicate with your weatherprogram.  You can choose which logger: USB, serial or IP.
Succes, Wim

Which logger do you suggest, USB or IP.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
USB

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »
OK so if pushing data isn't that hard, how do you do it. I don't know what HTTP upload mean, MYSQL is or FTP upload means. Everything I read seems you have to be fluent in coding of some computer language. All I know is English and American Sign Language. Is there a step by step primer on how to set up Weather Display or Cumulus with the meteobridge?

Thanks,

-AJ

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
FYI - The Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI OBSERVER will upload to Weather Underground (no computer required) if that is what you are looking for. Pretty simple setup.  :-)

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:08:22 AM »
Thanks for trying to help. I just  don't understand any of that. :(

-AJ

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
OK so if pushing data isn't that hard, how do you do it. I don't know what HTTP upload mean, MYSQL is or FTP upload means. Everything I read seems you have to be fluent in coding of some computer language. All I know is English and American Sign Language. Is there a step by step primer on how to set up Weather Display or Cumulus with the meteobridge?

Thanks,
-AJ
1. The Meteobridge is a tiny computer PLUS a weather program.
2. WeatherDisplay and Cumulus are weather programs who need a computer.
You do not need both a Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge as sold by Ambient) and another weather-program. One of them will do.

To clarify, I will take up some space to tell my own story here:

my mother said, it is always wise to learn to crawl first, then walk before you start running.

After my few cheap weatherstation (crawl) I asked myself:

Step 1: What do you want to start with: A weather-station with a "page" to see the live data and some history in the house when I use my computer
Step 2: And then I want to look at the weather-data being out of the house also
Step 3: Then I want to add more interesting stuff about the weather, lets say a forecast for my city
Step 4: And maybe some more

Step 1: I need a weather-station and a link to store the data. That link should be available 24/7. That place to store the data could be in the house but preferably somewhere in the cloud.

As an example I use the  Davis line of products and my own weather website as I am most familiar with them but multiple other solutions are possible.

1.1 Weatherstation
So I bought a Davis weather-station with an Weatherlink-IP logger (a WLIP)
One has to follow some easy steps and the results are more than one expects.
1.2 On-line data part 1:
Two pages at the WeatherLink.com site immediately after installing the station and logger. No programming or difficult things to do. Just  entering the registration values on a website.
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/wvdkuil/index.php?view=main&headers=0
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/wvdkuil/index.php?view=summary&headers=0
I use the metric system the units are in C, hPa. They can be imperial also.
The layout of the pages can not be altered.
1.3 And some more on-line pages
The Davis weatherLink.com site can also forward  the data to WeatherUnderground. After registering at the WeatherUnderground site I instructed Davis to do that by entering two values on their website. This is the result:
Their old page: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IVLAAMSG47
The new (beta) page) http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVLAAMSG47
This page has far more data than the Davis pages., even a webcam can be shown. But it has some advertising. If you register you will get rid of those adds. There is also a nice weather forecast.

2. Look at the weather data at the office
Yes that is already possible in step 1.

3&4 Add ones own stuff
Now it really gets a little more technical. If you want your own website with all the information from step 1 but also want to add photo’s and a lot more other information, you have to:

Browse this forum and choose among multiple solutions:
- Run a program => WeatherDisplay - WeatherLink - Cumulus - WeatherCat
- on a => PC / Mac / Linux, but to get good data that is on the grid 24/7
or
- a dedicated low energy device => meteobridge / raspberryPI
- with its own weather-program
This will take some serious reading but look at all the websites created. If they can, you can do it also

Summary:
The advantage of the WeatherLink-IP logger is definitely the ease of use. But it needs a wired connection to your LAN/router. The siting capabilities of the console are limited by that.

Once you installed the hardware (station - console -logger) and registered at WeatherLink.com you are on the air.

You are NOT tied in to one solution. Almost any weather-program  / weather-device can communicate with the WLIP.

There are multiple other solutions which cost less money.
Example: Any supported weather station and a Meteobridge/WeatherBridge ready to go solution. You will then also have  a webpage at WeatherUnderground. So again up until step 2 from above. And it will give you all possibilities to build your own website later on.

I started with a Davis WeatherLink.com & WeatherUnderground solution for my own station and the station for my daughter. And after some years they are still in use but I have my own websites also.
So here is my advertisement:
Mine: http://www.weerstation-wilsele.be/
Daughter: http://www.weerstation-herent.be/weather2/

Wim

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
I appreciate all the help and replies, I really do, but I don't understand any of it. Please, I'm not being disrespectful but none of this network stuff makes any sense to me.

All I want to do is use either Cumulus or Weather Display on my laptop and connect it to my Ambient Weather WS2080 weather station without being attached to a USB cable. I bought a Weatherlink/Meteobridge thinking that would do it and it doesn't. Either I don't know how to set it up or it can't be done. I could settle for uploading everything to WeatherUnderground and then downloading back into either of those programs. But I can't figure out how to do that either. I don't want to build a web page, I don't know how.

I am truly grateful for the time people have put into responses. You all seem to really be into this and know your stuff, but it's over my head. I thought this would be pretty simple.

I give up but wanted to say thanks.

-AJ

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »
AJ,

You have been a member of this forum since March 13, 2014. Today is March 18, 2014. That is ONLY 5 days! Please, don't give up in such a short period of time. It took me months of reading and experimenting with my system before I got it working the way I wanted it to. This stuff takes a while to sink-in and get a handle on it. You've indicated you did have success when you connected your equipment to your laptop using a USB cable. That was step #1. It gave you some results. Now, you want to go wireless. The steps you need to do to get to that point may take a few days or weeks. Just read the instructions and follow the guidance being given by the responses to your questions. If you don't understand any of the instructions, keep asking questions. Eventually, you will understand what is being said. None of us jumped off the bus and got our stations and website running overnight.

Above all, hang in there and keep trying...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
AJ,
Step 1 do you have a Wireless router? can you log in to your wireless router(192.168.x.x)
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WIRELESS ROUTER STOP HERE....you need one.

Step 2 turn on the meterbridge and log in to it. Do you know how??? What is not stated in the instructions you must first plug it into your router using a network cable, then log in to the given ip address to set up the meterbridge. It took me a few trys to figure that one out, into the router and not in to your computer.

Findout IP I use the logon to the router. (do you know how?)

Im going to stop here and let you reply back to see how far you get.

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
Sorry it keeps correcting meteObridge, also have this page open and READ the instructions. copy and paste below.

http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started

If you cant find the ip address or you dont know your routers address go the routers manufactures website and look it up. If you have a router form roadrunner or comcast or some other vendor, it may be locked, you have to call them.

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi JCArch,

I can get that far. Took me two hours but I did it. I can access the meteobridge by typing the ip address into my web browser. I can see the live data. I figured out how to upload to Weather Underground. So I have come that far.

I have not figured out how to send the data to Cumulus or Weather Display on my laptop from the Meteobridge or how to get the software to access the meteobridge.

Thanks,

-AJ

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
AJ
Are you looking to run cumulus....or are you looking for the data to be presented in a web browser??
Look at the Saratoga Template Upload. http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Push_Services
at the bottom of the page.
Or if my station is sending you can go here and see if thats what you want.
http://www.weatherforyou.com/personal_weather_stations/PITTS01201.html

You can also find the answer on the meteobridge fourm. here
http://forum.meteohub.de/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=c8736ec03d0ef75afa55c16f324623bd

Hope This helps

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Yes. I want to run Cumulus or Weather Display. I am not interested in viewing in a web browser.

Thanks,

-AJ

Offline jcarch

• My Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:38 PM »
Looks like wvdkuil has it done for the raspberrypi here,
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,59307.msg474461.html#msg474461

Hope this helps.

Offline ajhuff

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Looks like wvdkuil has it done for the raspberrypi here,
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,59307.msg474461.html#msg474461

Hope this helps.

Thanks but, um, I don't know what I am reading there. What is a  "gui in a root file-manager window?"

-AJ

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
Yes. I want to run Cumulus or Weather Display. I am not interested in viewing in a web browser.
Thanks,
-AJ
. . .  I just want to be able to look at my data and graphs without using a USB connector.  I didn't think it would be this hard.  :(
-AJ
Well that is clear now. "No" to a browser - "Yes" to ONLY a weatherprogram like CU or WD on a PC.
You also want wireless connection?  "Yes"
And you also want to keep your current weather-station?  "Yes"

If I understand you correctly:
There is this solution: USB-Over-Ethernet
http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Over-Ethernet/USB-Over-Ethernet-Hub.aspx

If I missed the weatherstation question:
Are there any weather stations that have wireless datalogging
That wat started this discussion.
And the answer is  "Yes there is using a WLIP" (Davis Weatherlink IP logger on a Davis Weatherstation). But you have to say goodbuy to your current weatherstation.

QUESTION:
You told us before that you "only wanted to look at your data and graphs".

I do not know your WU-id but when I look at my WU dashboard http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVLAAMSG47#history/graphs I see "data and graphs".

To understand your wishes better:
What do you want to do with Cumulus or WD which you can not do in a browser?

Wim