Author Topic: new to wxforum...Davis 6250  (Read 2796 times)

Offline kmhudson3

new to wxforum...Davis 6250
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

New to the weather monitoring world.  Looking at the Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station for $279.
Is that a good starter station and is the price right??  Good places to shop?  Anything else I might need?  Worried about lightning if
I mount on the house.  Had a strike recently.  Thanks for your input!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by kmhudson3 »

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: new to wxforum...Davis 6250
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  My favorite for weather toys is Ambient Weather.  Ed and other retailers will sell at prices too low to advertise on their sites.  You must get their low price link via email.  It takes only seconds to get the discount.
Buy all the accessories in your original purchase.  Add ons cost more than getting all the bells and whistles in the original box.  The WeatherLink software and hardware data logger is optional but necessary if you wish to import the data to your computer.  Software to operate your station is needed if you wish to use your computer for viewing/analyzing/sharing weather data.
Siting your station is just as important as selecting the right weather equipment. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
Archer Trading has the best prices I've seen. Plus expidited shipping!
http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=77
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
rainmanweather.com has the Vue for $257.95. You have to register as a member, or call to get that pricing.

anything