Author Topic: WU says goodbye to WunderPhotos  (Read 2206 times)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
WU says goodbye to WunderPhotos
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1129165-wu-says-goodbye-to-wunderphotos-faq

In 2002, we launched WunderPhotos to create a place where people like you could share amazing photos of weather across the globe. Over the years, you’ve formed an amazing community, one that we’re immensely grateful for. As we increase our focus on developing new products and improving our forecasts, we can no longer properly maintain WunderPhotos.

On February 28, 2017, we will remove the interactive features from WunderPhotos on the website and within our mobile apps – meaning uploading, commenting and sharing photos will no longer be available. We know that your photos are important, so any photos you’ve uploaded will remain available to download until June 30, 2017.

With your passion for photography in mind and the abundance of photo sharing platforms available, we would like to suggest Instagram as an alternative community platform. Instagram’s robust features are easily accessible via desktop or your mobile device. You can easily view, search, like and share each other’s photos using the established WunderPhoto community hashtag (#WunderPhotos). Uploading photos using this hashtag will also allow us to continue to promote your incredible photos within our extended social media communities.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: WU says goodbye to WunderPhotos
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
This is exactly what we were discussing in the parallel thread... services can end and will end

On the other hand I appreciate the fact they clearly announce this - rather than having a service that works 50% of the time.

Let's see if this has any effect on the (un)reliability of the rest of the site on which they now want to concentrate on :D

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
That's too bad.
If you have ever surfed all the photos there is some great pics in there.
Other then space, I don't understand why they would disco it.
I'm sure it's money related though.
Be nice if WU never sold out and remained independent. :-(

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
That's too bad.
If you have ever surfed all the photos there is some great pics in there.
Other then space, I don't understand why they would disco it.
I'm sure it's money related though.
Be nice if WU never sold out and remained independent. :-(

Agreed, too bad.  I used them (the photos) a lot when planning long boat trips into new areas of the Great Lakes - in particular Georgian Bay.  Some great pics and they helped a lot in the planning - where to go or not go, what to look out for, good anchorages.  Oh well, all things must pass - I suppose.

CW3699

Offline txbayou

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
This is exactly what we were discussing in the parallel thread... services can end and will end

On the other hand I appreciate the fact they clearly announce this - rather than having a service that works 50% of the time.

Let's see if this has any effect on the (un)reliability of the rest of the site on which they now want to concentrate on :D

I cannot find the parallel thread you refer to...would you post alink pls?....I'm wondering if the reduction of WU services results from their owner's, weather channel, financial problems? IIRC I recall reading last fall that WC is again looking for a buyer.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
Since they are owned by IBM I doubt there are any money issues.