Author Topic: Another Barometer Collection  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Another Barometer Collection
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
I've thought barometers were cool since I was a little kid (circa 1955) when my mom bought this one using, "Green Stamps".

A few years later after moving to Durango, CO (elevation about 6,000') we bought one modified for higher altitude. This time using, "Gold Bond" stamps.  :grin:

Since then I've gathered a few more mostly from eBay.
Dial barometers:

Ship's wheel barometers:

More dial barometers:

My favorite dial barometer is this Welby that has a 5 1/2" dial vs. the more typical 3 1/2".

For my system reference and the star of the collection is this Princo 453.

Here's a close up of the Princo's vernier.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:53:31 PM by Jim_S »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Another Barometer Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
That wall of barometers would suck having to calibrate them all.

Its like the Chinese proverb that says, "Man with two watches never knows what time it is."

Who knows if it really is a Chinese proverb or not. That is just what I've heard shared down from my Father.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
That wall of barometers would suck having to calibrate them all.
I have calibrated them all, at one time or another. Now I only worry about the Welby and the Airguide which track pretty well.

Its like the Chinese proverb that says, "Man with two watches never knows what time it is."
LOL, you're quick. I wondered how long it would be before someone said that... ;)
If I'm really concerned I only look at the Princo.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
A friend had a dial barometer that supposedly came from a ship in WWII, sort of plain but something I'd really like to be gifted if he ever gets tired of it.   I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but did say something about the navy on it, I think. 

Again, if I recall it had sort of a chain drive (maybe I'm hallucinating) and was literally so sensitive that we had fun taking it off the wall hook and going down stairs, seeing a difference in the needle position, then repeating it.  Maybe we spoofed ourselves, but it seemed with the big hand and generous dial size, and the heft of it's construction, that it may literally have been able to do that.

With your extensive collection, do you think we were seeing a real effect, or not?

On the other hand, I do know that when I put a Vaisala WXT520 into monitoring, I had run it for a couple months on my screened in porch.  when I put it up on my ham tower aways, I did have to tweak the setting to compensate.

I know sometimes folks get all excited about precision and accuracy.  Yet as a kid I sort of scoffed at my 19 year older sister in college and doing quantitative analysis in chemistry and saying the lab had a balance scale that could weigh her fingerprint.  Yet when I was there at the same school (new chemistry building) I took a series of classes and indeed weighed my fingerprint many times.  Some things are really true, I guess.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
A friend had a dial barometer that supposedly came from a ship in WWII, sort of plain but something I'd really like to be gifted if he ever gets tired of it.   I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but did say something about the navy on it, I think. 
I found one on eBay that matches your description.

Again, if I recall it had sort of a chain drive (maybe I'm hallucinating)
Aneroid barometers do use a chain drive. If you look closely at my first image of the Swift you can see it. (click on the image for full res and zoom in) Typically the chain looks more like a bicycle chain and is shorter. (it's barely visible on the image for the Welby but a bit out of focus)

and was literally so sensitive that we had fun taking it off the wall hook and going down stairs, seeing a difference in the needle position, then repeating it.  Maybe we spoofed ourselves, but it seemed with the big hand and generous dial size, and the heft of it's construction, that it may literally have been able to do that.

With your extensive collection, do you think we were seeing a real effect, or not?
Well the markings on the dial are usually every 2 1/100s and a 10' change in elevation is about 1/100, so I guess it depends on how many flights of stairs you were going up or down. I would say a 20' or 30' change in elevation would be noticeable, less than 10' would require some imagination.

I know sometimes folks get all excited about precision and accuracy.  Yet as a kid I sort of scoffed at my 19 year older sister in college and doing quantitative analysis in chemistry and saying the lab had a balance scale that could weigh her fingerprint.  Yet when I was there at the same school (new chemistry building) I took a series of classes and indeed weighed my fingerprint many times.  Some things are really true, I guess.

Tell me more... What was your procedure. My balance collection is much smaller (only 2) but I'll give it a try. :)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »
As far as weighing the fingerprint, it has been nearly 50 years since I did it, but here's what I recall, at least:

We had a balance beam scale in a glassed in stand, can't recall if there were any special supports under the box or not.

There was some sort of little sliding rod that we could pick up a tiny bit of wire that had been calibrated in size, and drop it in a pan on one side of the balance, and bigger ones to get close the required gross weight.

After cutting a small piece of paper or whatever, and weighing it, you opened the case and used a tweezers to pick up the paper and the using a not to recently washed hand, gripped the paper a  time or two, transferring a little of the natural oils and sweat of your fingers onto the paper, and then placed that back on the balance.  Then add a few of the tiny weights to the other side to balance it out.

I am sure there was more to it than that. I wish I'd make more than mental notes.  And of course a smartphone with camera would have been great.

What are these precision scales called?  Now I am curious and want to see what's available and maybe look into it more.   I know there were general ones that seemed a bit more robust and had a black dial or something on it in the front, but these babies were far more protected and you better be delicate using them or you got stern comments from the lab supervisor.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »
This is comparable to what I used in high school chem lab (1977), and yes, it was preached to treat it with the utmost care.

https://www.labdepotinc.com/cart/pf/photopop.php?n=62544#8609

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »
As far as weighing the fingerprint, it has been nearly 50 years since I did it, but here's what I recall, at least:
<snip>
I am sure there was more to it than that. I wish I'd make more than mental notes.  And of course a smartphone with camera would have been great.
Your description made perfect sense. Thanks!

What are these precision scales called?  Now I am curious and want to see what's available and maybe look into it more.   I know there were general ones that seemed a bit more robust and had a black dial or something on it in the front, but these babies were far more protected and you better be delicate using them or you got stern comments from the lab supervisor.

I call them an "analytical balance". Mine are antiques pretty much as you described. I'm sure the modern electronic ones are more accurate and easier to use but they aren't nearly as pretty. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
As promised here are a couple of pictures of my balances.

This one is exactly as you describe with the little wire weight that is moved by a sliding bar. I'm going to try weighing my fingerprint with it. :-)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
Indeed, marvelous works of machining and woodworking. 

Ours in the school lab, of course, did not have the wooden cabinets.  And the top one with the leaded glass behind it makes it look like it, too has elegant glass.

Nice collection, and let us know if you can weigh your fingerprint.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php