Author Topic: Happy Ortungs  (Read 671 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Happy Ortungs
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
A limited number of kit orders are now being processed for the 'fall term', for areas outside the denser zones, for example, areas outside of Europe. We've single stations in Thailand, Hawaii, Mexico -- Central and South America, and Oceania are thin for example, -- very thin coverage in many other areas worldwide, so most of those kits will likely be reserved for the 'thin' areas. Further kit assemblies may become available depending on how many orders they get prior to August 29th. Makes sense, doesn't it?  But look out for next spring/summer! 

I would not delay getting my order in. I would go both E and H field combo. I would make darn sure I read everything thoroughly, especially the history posts on BO forum, and definitely the 'stickied' threads here on WxForum, at the very least.  Many new folks have issues with everything from length of cable to interference... I'll wager that 99% of those questions you'll have, have already been explored and resolved thoroughly. Save yourself some pain... learn from our experience.

The network has become so large that the developers simply do not have time to maintain the network, and answer every question posed... especially when it's already been answered numerous times in various forms. Read!  We'll help if you need it!  But your initial research should be on the forums!

This is also a hobby... though many of us do not approach it that way... there are some very serious minded folks here... who will go out of their way to help you have a successful, clean station... but even we get burned out with the same inquires repeatedly, especially those that are answered in the Project description, and Don M's wonderful "How To" documents on WxForum.

Remember you are not a "local detecting station'... you are not a 'stand-alone' device. You'll be part of a network that must function as such. Matter of fact, in most cases, your nearby strokes, say under 0-30 miles, may be unusable by the network for many reasons. Let the network do that for you, and you in turn help the next station.

Most importantly, after you've read everything available.. build your own kit. If you cannot do this, you may not have the 'familiarity' to adequately get your station primed and optimized - or troubleshoot the system if needed. There are exceptions to this, of course... but remember we've said repeatedly these receivers are NOT plug'n'play. They are quite sophisticated, and it's remarkable that they've designed a system that folks with even basic skills and backgrounds can build out of a bag, and operate successfully.

Also remember that at this state of network growth, it is no longer about 'distance'.  It's about quality of signal. And the best quality is not a multi-reflected skywave from Panama that you detect in Maine... and while those stronger reflections are filling your receiver with 'noise' you're missing the weaker thunder cell in Vermont.. it's lost in the noise.  Go after the one in Vermont.

Happy Ortungs!

Mike
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:50:20 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything