Author Topic: Alpha testing new program - StartWatch  (Read 8447 times)

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
Alpha testing new program - StartWatch
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:47:58 AM »
I'm developing a new program called "StartWatch". I had planned on adding features to VirtualVP for coordinating startup of programs that hook up to VirtualVP. I decided to make this a separate program with a more general usefulness. There are two parts to it. One part coordinates the startup of multiple applications. It allows program startups to be dependant on a time delay, the startup of other programs or the availability of a defined TCP/IP port. This part of the program satisfies the functionality I was going to add to VirtualVP, plus some more.

The second part is ongoing monitoring of the programs StartWatch started. It monitors them for hangs, lockups, crashes, inadvertant closure or loss of the program or TCP/IP port on which it depends. You can setup StartWatch to automatically restart crashed or hung programs. You can also specify that it close a program when the program or port on which it depends goes down, and then restart it when that comes back up.

The program will be shareware, but registration is only required for the monitoring/restart features. The startup features will remain functional beyond the trial period. It's like there is a freeware version and a shareware version, but they are the same exe. The registration will only be $25 until the end of 2006. Like VirtualVP, registration gets you all future upgrades without any upgrade fee.

I have the startup part ready for testing, and have some of the monitoring features ready. This is a rough ALPHA version, but I'd like to get a few people to begin trying this out while I finish the remaining features for a general Beta release next week. If you're interested in alpha testing, let me know. I have to limit this to a few people, and I can't give a lot of hand holding. There is no manual yet, so you'll have to figure it most of it out for yourself, but it's pretty self explanatory if you know your way around a computer. If this seems ok to you and you're interested, let me know.

Steve

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
Ok Steve, I'm game.  I can have it start WD and VWS, as well as my vwSQL and some others that are in the startup folder now.  Do you need any additional info or will you conact respondents via the forum profile information?

[edit] My email is public in my profile.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »
An e-mail might be quicker

-Ingo

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:37:55 PM »
Steve,

Sent you a PM this morning PDT. I'll test it. I was going to register Startup Guru, but I'd rather help a member.

Chris
www.sloweather.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:10:27 PM »
Steve,

I also sent you a PM this  evening. Will be glad to help with testing.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:15 PM »
There are a number of programs like Startup Guru, some shareware and some (like R2's Startup Delayer) freeware. I'm trying to do something a little different with StartWatch. It allows coordination of program startups not just by time delay, but also by interdependancy. The startup part is freeware. The shareware part picks up after the programs are started and operates as an application monitor, helping insure that critical programs (like the weather programs we all have) run 24x7, uninterrupted. It has crash and hang/lockup detection and recovery, and also can automatically close a program when the program or TCP/IP service it depends on goes down (and then restart it when it comes back up).

It's really geared toward starting and keeping running programs we deem critical (even when we're not at the computer), and not so much toward managing Window's startup list nor adware/spyware protection.

Steve

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
If you're one of the people running StartWatch, I've put up v. 0.3.0

It adds an option to minimize started programs, and an option to automatically put weatherLink into bulletin mode.

Also includes features added in 0.2.0 - completed the stop/restart based on the port or program a program depends on going down/up.

Download at same link I sent out.

Steve

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:17:33 PM »

The shareware part picks up after the programs are started and operates as an application monitor, helping insure that critical programs (like the weather programs we all have) run 24x7, uninterrupted. It has crash and hang/lockup detection and recovery, and also can automatically close a program when the program or TCP/IP service it depends on goes down (and then restart it when it comes back up).

Steve you have no idea how long I've searched for a program to monitor and stop/start a program that has hung (not responding)

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"

Steve you have no idea how long I've searched for a program to monitor and stop/start a program that has hung (not responding)

Ditto that.  I tried one awhile back but it did not seem really geared to weather software.  Something designed with the weather software in mind sounds great!   :D

Steve,
I'll send you an email.  I'm willing if you still have an opening for a beta tester.   8)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10