Author Topic: Welcome to all former members of the discontinued VWS forum!  (Read 108866 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Welcome to all former members of the discontinued VWS forum!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
Hi all, Well that was a shock to the system. Think I went into withdrawal. Thing are looking better now..
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
Hello everyone. Glad to be on board the forum, a bit like moving house.  :-)

Alan.
Alan

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »

EDIT: Specifically, I'm talking about the use of the logo. I wouldn't have an issue with Ambient linking to the forums here  ;)

I emailed Ed last night and told him he was welcome to point people here. No response yet.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
I Just went to the Ambient Wiki and posted a link to this site in hope that it will bring some more lost people over here.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 10:17:56 AM »
I Just went to the Ambient Wiki and posted a link to this site in hope that it will bring some more lost people over here.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »
I emailed Ed last night and told him he was welcome to point people here. No response yet.

Following up on myself. I just had an email from Ed. He will point people here.

It looks like the loss of the VWS forum is permanent.

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »
I just wanted to chime in and WELCOME all ex VWS Forum members to WXForum. I was a member there but didn't visit to often due to its "hostile" environment.

again, Welcome!
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
Greetings,

This is Ed from Ambient Weather. I am truly sorry we had to take the forum down, it was a labor of love for John Norman and he worked hard to keep things in check.

John was a volunteer. He is loyal and passionate about a number of things. There is a very fine balance if you are a forum administrator. You must keep conflicts in check without offending people. John was contstantly walking this tight rope.

I received an email from member of the forum that they were filing a law suit for the way they were treated by other members.  This is not the first threat I received (I actually had someone threaten my life, family and business that was a user of another competing software application that was banned from the forum).

These threats grew to a crescendo, and although I am not sure if this person was serious, I sent the thread and email to my other business partners and our attorney. They all recommended I shut the forum down.

It is dissappointing and I had discussed this with John for serveral years. Each time, we decided we would remove the offending posts, and keep going. Unfortunately, I can never endorse another forum again. This is supposed to be a hobby! This is supposed to be fun!

I will say that everyone deserves a pat on the back for contributing to this forum.

You can always reach me by email: support@ambientweather.com
Live chat: www.ambientweather.com/chat.html
or visit our wikispaces: http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com

Regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:47:33 PM by ambientweather »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Hi Ed, and thanks very much for stopping by and letting folks know what had happened with the Ambient forum.  As a group of volunteers moderating this forum, we well understand how threats will make an untenable situation and force a resolution.

WXForum.net was founded two+ years ago using the principles that Gary Oldham evidenced in the old weatherforum.net: provide a place for weather enthusiasts to exchange help with weather related software, hardware and personal weather website development.  Thanks to the great membership here, that principle is still alive and well!

It's all about helping each other further our weather hobby, and learning from the experience of others.

While the forum is graced with visits from multiple software and hardware developers, we don't expect (but do welcome) their participation in the forum as their time permits.  We are strictly un-affiliated with any commercial venture and rely on the mutual aid of amateur enthusiasts for hints/tricks/tips, and that problem reports for software should be directed to the official support venue for the specific products.   So, you're very welcome to drop by, see, and (if you like) respond to the conversations, but don't view it as a requirement at all :D

Thanks again for your explanation,
best regards,

Ken
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:48:32 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
Greetings,

This is Ed from Ambient Weather. I am truly sorry we had to take the forum down.......

......Regards,

Ed

In regards to that member(s) who made the threats and those folks who could not control themselves. 
I say "Thanks, a hell of alot, now look what you done." :evil:

For Ed and his business partners, we understand that you must protect your business and lively-hood.  Sometimes you got to do, what you got to do.  No hard feelings against Ambient. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:18:24 PM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
In regards to that member(s) who made the threats and those folks who could not control themselves. 
I say "Thanks, a hell of alot, now look what you done." :evil:

I hear ya Sam. I know your "Thanks" to them will be delivered, since they are active here.  ](*,)
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
All are invited to join in the discussions .. we just ask that civility be the guiding principle on all postings.

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »
All are invited to join in the discussions .. we just ask that civility be the guiding principle on all postings.

Best regards,
Ken

It has been the extremely rare occasion (maybe one time a thread was shut down) that any of the administrators have had to resort to any heavy handed tactics here at wxforum.net. In all honesty this has probably been the easiest to administrate discusion board I've ever had the pleasure of being involved with.

We want to keep it that way, but the only way that can continue to happen is that we all practice respect and civility to one another. That has never really been an issue here, but as more and more folks join the potential for conflict rises as well. That's the nature of online discussion. Please try to remember:

There will be disagreements. That is the nature of discussion. There's no reason that they have to degrade into arguments though. I know from experience that this can be difficult. At some point in every group, if you hang around long enough, there will be someone that you just plain can not get along with. Ignore their posts if you can't be civil. There is no excuse for personal attacks. Take it offline if you must. The rest of us don't want to have to wade through a stinking pile.

At some point someone is going to write something that is going to tick you off. Almost all of us will make the mistake of pulling the trigger without stepping back and cooling down at some point. You might only do it once every 10 years, but most of us at some point will do it. I'm guilty of it. Should you be guilty, be an adult, apologize and drop it. I'm not saying you have to necessarily apologize to the person you went off on, I know that can be difficult :-), but an acknowledgment to the group that you messed up is probably in order.

And remember that most people find wxforum.net looking for help! Be gracious in offering that help. Because you may have answered the question a thousand times this month doesn't mean that the noob recognizes that. Should they have done a search? Probably, but that doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. In most cases a simple link to the post that answers the question is all that is needed.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »
I received an email from member of the forum that they were filing a law suit for the way they were treated by other members.

Sorry, but that's just silly, whoever you are/were.

If you don't like the responses you get (or don't get) on a board, there is no obligation for you to continue to visit that board.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »

Best regards,
Ken

It has been the extremely rare occasion (maybe one time a thread was shut down) that any of the administrators have had to resort to any heavy handed tactics here at wxforum.net. In all honesty this has probably been the easiest to administrate discusion board I've ever had the pleasure of being involved with.

We want to keep it that way, but the only way that can continue to happen is that we all practice respect and civility to one another. That has never really been an issue here, but as more and more folks join the potential for conflict rises as well. That's the nature of online discussion. Please try to remember:

There will be disagreements. That is the nature of discussion. There's no reason that they have to degrade into arguments though. I know from experience that this can be difficult. At some point in every group, if you hang around long enough, there will be someone that you just plain can not get along with. Ignore their posts if you can't be civil. There is no excuse for personal attacks. Take it offline if you must. The rest of us don't want to have to wade through a stinking pile.

At some point someone is going to write something that is going to tick you off. Almost all of us will make the mistake of pulling the trigger without stepping back and cooling down at some point. You might only do it once every 10 years, but most of us at some point will do it. I'm guilty of it. Should you be guilty, be an adult, apologize and drop it. I'm not saying you have to necessarily apologize to the person you went off on, I know that can be difficult :-), but an acknowledgment to the group that you messed up is probably in order.

And remember that most people find wxforum.net looking for help! Be gracious in offering that help. Because you may have answered the question a thousand times this month doesn't mean that the noob recognizes that. Should they have done a search? Probably, but that doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. In most cases a simple link to the post that answers the question is all that is needed.
=D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

Amen, to every single word of it.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline WXWP

• WXWP-NJ Lighthouseweather
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
Good Evening Folks...

I'm not here to point fingers, cause problems, etc. But I do want you all to know why I did what I did. This way nobody can be the preverbial hero for causing the 'reactor' to blow... So I just stopped by to say a few things and I'll be on my way. It was with deep regret we had to do what we did. But as you see in Ed's message here, there was a reason why I held the reigns so tight. It really had nothing to do with the recent email that one person sent to Ed, (although that was the final blow and decision.. you know who you were!).. but a collective barrage over the years and as you read, even threats to his family.

I know I'm probably hated by most here and that is ok. It is what I accepted to do and I expected no less if necessary. But his message depicted everything.
What I do in the realm of understanding protection, I do well. Sometimes what I have had to do was not easy because I'm not generally a hard arse. I did what I had to do to protect Ed's business, family and well being. It's what I'm good at.

There was a lot of jealousy through the years. Some that started these threats that were not just in the form of law suits. As you have seen above, the threats grew deeper than that. Like Ed said, it's suppose to be fun. But not everyone wanted to keep it that way.

Over the years, Ed and I have had quite a few arguments, and so on. If you were with VWS before the last forum, you'd always know that Ed got screwed over royally by a previous associate. (Did you know that he wanted to throw the towel in and give up on VWS because of all the grief? I'd like to believe I my pleaing with him helped keep it going - as I spent hours on the phone with him to talk him into staying with the project)...

As a result, I saw it in his and every bodies best interests that security be tight sometimes... People needed to be stifled, etc. Personally, I could care less what people have to say as long as they could do it without fighting and arguing. If I seen the slightest bit of disharmony, my red light went on and I tightened things down. Again, it's what I'm good at whether people liked it or not... here or in an outside world.

I'd like to apologize to everyone here and from the old forums... If it was any other place or reason, things would have been less strict and/or better.
For these reasons, we decided to pull the plug. Now you can understand I hope why Ed distant himself from the public. We all know we cannot please everyone in the world, but we tried. It broke my heart to pull the plug because I'd like to think I had friends there too. But again, nature of the beast and I knew what I was always in for. I had many people say thank you to me over the years as well as tell me they wouldn't have that job for anything. People that know me personally, know my capabilities and are happy to know I have their backs. I had Ed's family and business's back at all times with one mission in mind. Try to provide support where he could not and protect his interests from outside harm.

To the folks that were disgrunteled behind the lines, sent nasty emails, cursed me out. Now you can see what some people have already said, "You NEVER know what goes on behind the scenes and why things are the way they are". I'm sure most of you, if you'd have known why we were the way we were, you would have confided more in my decisions and backed off. But I never even told the moderators why I did what I did. Most of it till Ed's message was in confidentialty which I never broken unless necessary.

So let this be an end to all the good and bad... let VWS and all it's users reign and have fun... it's a great hobby and I'll miss a lot of you.
Thanks to my old moderators... I know we had moments.. but no hard feelings... If anyone needs me for anything I'm always around. Just drop me an email.
I think Anole said it right... listen and remember that there are others out there that have feelings too.

Take care and best regards, no hard feelings... and I have no grudges against anyone.

John, WXWP
 :-)
Regards,

- John, WXWP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »
Thanks for giving the insights, John!   I wholeheartedly agree that we're in it for the fun of discovery, learning and developing our personal weather hobby.  This forum has shown to be a good place for great discussions and we'll look forward to keeping it useful for weather enthusiasts by offering each other assistance along the way.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »
It truly is a bad situation when push comes to shove in any walk of life.. But it's almost becoming a way of life it seems.
Sometimes things get mis read or whatever and mushroom out of control from there. Whatever the case may be some one has to stop it...
sometimes for the protection of ..well sometimes almost life and property.

I hope I am not stepping on any toes or any thing with any posts I may make here. I always strive to help any one I can if possible.
Sometimes I have questions too but I will strive to make that as lesser amount as possible :grin:
Forums such as this and the other mention location are excellent outlets for information and in some cases it may be the only outlet for "sensible"
answers ..give the out sourcing that is being done now days..

Anyway..As the saying goes "All Good Things Must End"  that may be true but sometimes good things come from the ruins of others.!! That may very be demonstrated here!

Any thing I have ever learned is available if it'll help some one down the line.. After all isn't that what it's all about ?

With that being said.. I will shut up and get out of the way to make way for more informative and educational programming :grin:

Thanks In Advance For Everything!!

Wayne Thomas
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »

I received an email from member of the forum that they were filing a law suit for the way they were treated by other members.  This is not the first threat I received (I actually had someone threaten my life, family and business that was a user of another competing software application that was banned from the forum).

I for one am glad that it didn't escalate into a much more serious situation as could have been the situation with the threats
Too much hostility in the world today  as a whole!

Wayne
www.wmythweather.net
Cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline Clearsky

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »
I have just found out about this new forum. I was a member on the ambient forum and found a great deal of help from some real clever guys. I am glad there is somewhere for a beginer like me to go once again when all goes pear shaped!!! :grin:

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Very interesting situation.  I'm still digesting it.  I am pleased that Ed himself took the time to explain the situation, it shows character, especially in light of his aversion to forum involvement.  Thanks Ed.  I'm sure VWS will get ample support in this venue, without the ever-present drama of the Ambient forum. 

Now let's make this the premier forum for weather enthusiasts!
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
I have just found out about this new forum. I was a member on the ambient forum and found a great deal of help from some real clever guys. I am glad there is somewhere for a beginner like me to go once again when all goes pear shaped!!! :grin:

Yep,
It sue would be tough to be right in the middle
of a fix or something and have that happen !
Hopefully no body was in that predicament!
It's definitely great to have a place to "hang out'
and at least ask for help or an answer to a question =D&gt;
Ya never know it may turn out more educational
here than the other place ! Like so may other things
time alone can tell LOL!
Somewhat Ironic how I found the link for this place..I got it from the Ambient Forum
a month or s ago. I had noticed it several times but really didn't know if
it was for the general public or not but I finally decided it "should" be since it was advertised there
So I tried to sign up and  IT WORKED.. pretty much history from there to now :lol:
Glad they did let me in ! Hopefully we can all learn from each other and  It will be a great place

At any rate from one new person to another
Welcome  from here anyhow LOL!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Very interesting situation.  I'm still digesting it.  I am pleased that Ed himself took the time to explain the situation, it shows character, especially in light of his aversion to forum involvement.  Thanks Ed.  I'm sure VWS will get ample support in this venue, without the ever-present drama of the Ambient forum. 

Now let's make this the premier forum for weather enthusiasts!

Absolutely!!
By Ed doing that there's no guesswork as to what happened. No more wondering
well..did I maybe do something, was it something I said  and so on!
Now it's all out in the open and everybody knows that it won't be back again!
But the good thing is  the software will hopefully be supported by the info given and hopefully here as well.
So it's time to do what you said  " Make this the premier forum for weather enthusiasts "

Wayne

www.smythweather.net

cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
Hi everyone.

Another refugee who found his way back to the light!  :grin:

Yep,
It sue would be tough to be right in the middle
of a fix or something and have that happen !
Hopefully no body was in that predicament!

Actually, I picked this weekend to move my VWS to a new computer! When I started to run into a few bugs, I remebered the "transferring VWS to another computer" thread on the old board and clicked on my old bookmark to become enlightened (I hadn't checked the Ambient board for a few months). Imagine my shock and horror to see the simple one line message "The Support Forum is no longer active".  :shock:

Fortunately, after a quick dose of panic, a few choice words, and several hours of frustration, I was able to get the transfer working. Shortly thereafter I stumbled in here. All is well. I look forward to hearing from all of you again!

Regards

Moose

Offline Clearsky

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Wayne, I am sure that all will go well here for us all. Touch wood everything is running well for me at the moment but as I have found out all that can :grin: change very quickly. Its nice to know there are those out there who can fix it for me!! :grin:

anything