Author Topic: Latest VWS updates(beta)  (Read 135375 times)

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
Re: Latest VWS updates(beta)
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
 Hi,

its been a long time since I have been on here as VWS has been plodding along nicely with WU working fine.

But ftp'ing has become a problem again. We have Image Salsa working fine still and am wondering whether to use that to send the jpegs.

I feel like a change of software might be on the cards, but very reluctant after 15 years of good service.

looking at the server, some of the VWS files have 0 bytes, so I wonder what the cause of that could be?

Also it seems to keep saying "downloading metar data" each time I log onto it, I wonder if I need to clear out the database, there is tons of (unused) stuff on there after all these years

David

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:13:56 AM by Davidb »

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
David,
 I use VWS and have been for centuries ( least it feels that long)... Those jpegs with zero length may be jpegs that you no longer have on your main VWS form/screen and are no longer updated...

Jim

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2019, 06:54:46 AM »
I ran vWS for 7 years, but eventually switched to Meteotemplate. I have to Davis Vantage Pro 2s at different locations. Each are connected to a Raspberry PI computer. They have become maintenance free stations now. I wouldn’t ever go back to VWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:38 AM »
 :roll:

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
Zero bytes
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
Thanks for replies,

I have just looked into the vws/jpeg  folder and broadcast.jpg is there with an old file datestamp:

but yet it has the current data:

?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:50:06 AM by Davidb »

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
I will need to look at mine to see what kind of date stamp are on the jpegs....

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
make sure you have a column set in windows folder option to show modified time/date stamp
otherwise its showing create time (very first create time)

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2019, 06:53:22 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I am trying Weatherlink as a temporary fix till I get time to spend on Reconfiguring VWS.

It has run for 4 days without a hitch.

it is working through a screen grabbing system we have on image salsa, a good system, but far too complicated:

http://www.glassonsailing.co.uk/weather/graphs.html

David

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
I use FLING to upload all the VWS data... I do not use any VWS imagery, or the VWS site templates... instead drive the data to the Sawratoga Templates... .. but years ago began using FLING to take the FTP load from VWS.. using this method allows the data on site to be 'virtual' real time, or as rapidly as t parameters update between VUE and VWS.,.,. I only use Weatherlink for VUE configuratio9n and initiasl calibgration,... other config and calibrations done through VWS  Weather Cam still uploads and live stream done through Webcam 7 Pro ... on some installs,(Win 10???)   Fling can abuse the Paging file size, and stop working, so I make it a point to restart FLING once in awhile to clear that.... need to check for another Fling update I suppose... :oops: ... also, if you check my site, you'll see some things aren't working or aren't working correctly, as I attempt to upgrade and revamp some stuff, and overcome some hardware issues over the last couple of months... arrrrgh... getting too old for this...

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:44 AM »
We are back on VWS after I reduced the database size to 2000 ( no idea what that means, but I was clutching at straws and it was on a huge figure and takes ages to catch up if computer crashes)

I also cleared a big internet error log - I had left it running by mistake.

Then I restarted VWS on high cpu use setting and it is back to normal

not sure which of the above did the trick, but at least its working and I still prefer the result after looking round online at lots of other stations.

broadcast.jpg is such a neat picture and serves our sailing club's requirement exactly.

Offline mmiller9

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »
Help Needed.
I have been running VWS internet addition licensed for 10 years currently running on a Win 7 box.
I have moved it from an XP box to Win 7 box and to several win 7 boxes as they died.
I tried to move it to a windows 10 box and for the life of me can' get it to work.

I followed the instructions on this forum but still no luck.
1. Copied my current C:VWS to the new computer same place.
2. I ran an install on the new computer
3. then I copied my VWS folder again
VWS version is V15 P3 which is running fine on my old win 7 box as I type this.

When I start VWS the program does not recognize the serial connection to my Davis Pro WS
I update the serial port and save but it does not save. wach time I start VWS same windows come up.
I have tried wiping the VWS folder and reinstalling several times but it will not save the serial settings when I start the program. Yet on start up it recognizes it is a licensed copy.
Made sure no files inside VWS directory are write only

Appreciate any help you can provide

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
try running it as admin on W10
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:07:07 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline mmiller9

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2020, 09:45:46 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion

My normal login in is Admin level

I also tried creating a second login with Admin privileges and still no luck.

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2020, 02:23:04 AM »
You may have already resolved this issue but just in case: There is actually a major difference in security in Windows 10 from 7. Certain rights are restricted even to Administrator level accounts. Manual approval is required to run at full administrator privileges under most set-ups to prevent rogue software using an administrator account unsupervised to make changes, write data etc.

Workaround per each use: Find the startup icon for VWS and other mouse click you should see "Run As Administrator" as an option in the list. Do so and see if that resolves your issues.

If it does you can make the selection permanent by other mouse clicking on the icon again, then select properties, then select the compatibility tab, then check the box next to Run As Administrator.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline mmiller9

« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2021, 10:52:51 PM »
Struggling to get version 15.05 loaded and running. My current win 7 system is running version 15.03.
Should I upgrade my win 7 application to 15.05 before I try to migrate it to the new Win10 box?
Does anyone have a copy of the version 15.03 they can share as I don't seem to have that.
I really like this software and want to avoid moving to something new if I can help it.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2021, 11:48:17 AM »
I am running v15.00 p05 on Win10 with no problems. I love the program too. The drag and drop setup of the desktop is what I like the best compared to other software that is locked in. ( Yeah I heard it before..unsupported... blah blah blah...along wth the same on VVPro) It gets it's data from my WiFi Logger and generates graphics that are displayed on my Kodak Wireless Photo frame. Kinda like a color Davis display but doesn't rely on the cloud or a web server. I also use SeqDownload to pull weather maps and satellite images into the same directory for display.

I would do a fresh install on the Win10 box and then apply your license. (Back up a copy of the old files first of course). Then copy your config files over. I can't find what the difference is between p03 and p05 is. Oh and Brian is correct. On Win10 after you install it. right click on the icon and select Run As Administrator. I had to do the same with VVPro.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:50:33 AM by Garth Bock »