Author Topic: VWS license issues  (Read 5911 times)

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
VWS license issues
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »
I just read a thread on the Ambient forum that suggests that my copy of VWS can ONLY be used with a weather station that I purchase from Ambient.  Here is the thread so far, I'm posting it because I suspect it will disappear very quickly.

[begin quote from Ambient forum]

jeffnairs
Be Careful Buying From Ambient
« on: Today at 07:12:05 PM » Quote  
I purchased a station and software. Station was defective so I wanted to use the software on a new station. I was told I couldn't unless I bought the station from Ambient. Could you imagine Microsoft telling you the Windows you paid for couldn't be used on a computer unless you bought it from them?

When I complained I was banned from this forum. Be wary when buying from Ambient and even more careful if you don't sing their praises on this forum!

Brian Kushner
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RayW
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:56:46 PM » Quote  

You definitely have a nonexistent axe to grind.  One of our people in my area bought a Davis from another site, then liked my Ambient software and bought that from Ambient.  Even had a problem with the software and got email help from Ambient.

Are you sure that you are not confusing the lack of help with a broken station bought from another source with the supposed not wanting to sell you software on the part of Ambient?  Or is the model you bought not supported by VWS?

While I agree this board is a bit harsh on dissenters, you are way past that stage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
jeffnairs
You tell me. Here is the message from Ed. He's told me the same thing about buying the station from him about 10 times now. I bought the software with a WMR100 just 2 weeks ago. Station is not working right. I bought the Davis from another vendor (since returned) and was told by Ed both email and on phone that I need to buy software again. By the way, watch how quick this thread disappears.

Brian

> Hi Brian,
>
> Yes, we do pay for the forum, and I never said that we did not.
>
> Wedo not administor the forum, John is a volunteer, he elected to set it up, run it and he makes
> his own decisions. We do not monitor the forum, so he is welcome to do as he sees fit. He is not
> an employee of the company. This was what I was trying to convey to you because you said we
> did not offer any support.
>
> We support our customers directly through email, phones and live chat and we are always
> available.
>
> There is a 15% restocking fee for non defective merchandise.
>
> Our license agreement is one license per weather station but I was willing to wave this if you
> purchased the replacement weather station from us. You elected not to.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
jeffnairs
And another email from Ed. Tell me where I have it wrong?

Dear Brian,
>     > >
>     > > I checked our records and I do not show that you purchased the VantagePro2 or the
>     > > WeatherLink data logger from us so I am confused.
>     > >
>     > > The license is transferable if you purchase the new weather station from us and we
>     have
>     > > significant discounts on the pricing.
>     > >
>     > > However, we do require one license per weather station.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
k6dyc
So, if my VP dies and I buy a replacement of any brand from anyone but Ambient, my licence can't be used on it?  It is my understanding that it can be used on any ONE station, not more than one.  

I too find this forum a bit stifiling, but I would never have quessed that my copy of VWS can't be used on any other station.

[end quote from Ambient forum]
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Re: VWS license issues
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:58:39 AM »
I'd say he's got an axe to grind and also isn't real clear on a few things. Case in point, I started out with a Lacrosse station, which I will never own again, then the OS WMR-968, and now the Davis 6163. Have used the same VWS on all 3 and never had a problem.

I will however agree with him about the heavy handed moderation on the forum. Then again if all he ever does is complain, what reaction did he expect?

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
Quote from: "NoQuitters"
I'd say he's got an axe to grind and also isn't real clear on a few things. Case in point, I started out with a Lacrosse station, which I will never own again, then the OS WMR-968, and now the Davis 6163. Have used the same VWS on all 3 and never had a problem.

Same here. I've run VWS on at least 3 different stations, none of which came from Ambient. Sounds like BS to me. However, if the quotes from Ed are accurate and unmodified I can understand his confusion.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
Personally, I think this person would be confused no matter how you explained something to him. He is simply ticked off and wants to cause as much trouble as he can. If he bothered to do his research before hand, this whole thing wouldn't have started in the first place. Also, if you followed all of the threads, you'd see there is a lot of information missing and plenty of story changes.

I just consider the source and move on......

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:42:43 AM »
Guys, you all know me and I'd like to think that I'm fairly level headed about thesese things :roll:, but how else can you interpret Ed's quoted comment "The license is transferable if you purchase the new weather station from us ..."?

In any case, I'm not worried because I'm capable of hooking my VWS copy up to anything I might buy in the future, whether from Ambient or not.  

[pause]

OK, now that I have read the comments again multiple times, I think I may have an understanding.  Does Ed think that he is already using VWS on one station and wants to use it on another as well?  And Ed's comment is that he would let him do so IF he bought the second station form Ambient?  That would explain Ed's comment.

This entire thing is a good example of why Ambient is doing themselves a disservice by having a forum that they never visit, that THEY pay for and control (despite what they say), and they have someone else acting as moderator.  Confusion reigns.  

[on soapbox]

My software company, Mustang Software, had a major hand in developing the BBS software & message forum concept, and we ran our own support forum on our Wildcat! software.  We would never dream of telling people they couldn't discuss any type of business in our forums.  We stayed on top of topics and threads and left the ugly ones there for everyone to see how we handed tough customer issues.  It served us well, and customers and prospective custoemrs could readily see our policies and how we applied them.  That forum did more for our good name than any other vehicle.  Ambient should take note, and use the forum as a marketing tool instead of a half-baked support mechanism that censors all dissention.

I think its time to drop this stupid issue, I'm even sorry I brought it up :oops:.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
I stayed out of the fray over there, and this morning that thread has been nuked. The excerpt above doesn't carry the full flavor of everything that occurred. The person in question clearly had an attitude about the whole thing, wouldn't listen to reason, and created new logins to continue the tirade.

There may also have been some inaccuracies or misleading statements made by him.

I believe that the misunderstanding (which Ambient has yet to clear up) seems to be that some station or brand-specific versions of VWS are sold at a reduced price because they are bundled with the station. Those can't be used on another brand of weather station.

If so, that's a common practice. If your Dell or Gateway (or similar) computer blows up, good luck trying to use the XP disk or registration code on another computer.

OTOH, if that's indeed the way it is, it's too bad that Ambient didn't think the whole process through and create a logical discounted upgrade path.

I'm no apologist for Ambient. I've been a VWS user for years and have my own share of frustrations with the program and how they do business. And I'm currently learning Weather Display. But, IMO, this guy was way out of line.

Offline DundeeWeather

• http://wx.dundeeweather.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
However it is interpreted I can tell you how I plan to use it.  I purchased the software license which is good to use on ONE station at a time.  If my VP2 dies and I buy another station from a vendor/reseller other than Ambient you can GUARANTEE I am going to use that same software license for my new station.  One license One station.  There is no way that a license should be tied to a specific station.

If the above is the case with the licensing of VWS I will switch to WD or another competitor and never look back.  I'm sure everyone on this forum is all up to date on software licensing (OS, App, etc)  :roll:
Greg - N2WAI - Dundee, Michigan --- Davis Wireless VP2, VWS 13.00 p20 --- WinXP Pro-SP2

anything