Author Topic: AcuRite 3-in-1  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Purple Pisces

AcuRite 3-in-1
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
Hi,

I want to update my mom's weather station for her for Christmas. Years ago I got her a GE wireless weather station that only gives the indoor/outdoor temp and humidity (with the outdoor humidity being stuck at 20% for quite a few years now). I would like to get one that's a little more advanced. One of the weather stations that has caught my eye is the AcuRite 3-in-1     http://www.acurite.com/environments/weather-stations/pro-3-in-1-weather-stations/pro-color-digital-weather-station-with-forecast-temperature-humidity-wind-00589.html                                                          .

I like that it will give the dew point, windspeed, and wind chill (something that can come in handy in the New England winters). I don't really see a need for the rain gauge or wind direction, and am on a tight budget which is why I am eyeing the 3-in-1 as opposed to the 5-in-1. I am concerned about a few things though and hope that the experts here might be able to answer my questions.

If the outdoor sensor is placed in the sun will it give an accurate temp reading? The place I have in mind for the sensor is off the back deck which is facing eastward and gets sun all day. It's the best option that I can see to get an accurate wind reading. BTW does anyone know of a station that offers the outdoor temp sensor separate from the wind sensor so they can be placed in two different locations to get the best possible readings?

My second concern is that while looking online at the manual for this unit, it looks like it may be possible for bugs to get into and nest in the outdoor unit. Does anyone have this weather station and have you found it to be an issue?

I really appreciate any insight anyone can give me.  :grin:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: AcuRite 3-in-1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
Never had a bug issue with three outdoor units.  And yeah, a FARS is far better than a non-aspirated temp .  For home use it means a degree or two off on windless sunny days.  Maybe.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Purple Pisces

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks for replying Bushman! I know the members here must get asked tons of questions about weather stations so I appreciate you taking the time to answer mine! So without the fan (such as in the 3-in-1) the temp will only be off by a degree or two in direct sunlight? A degree or 2 doesn't seem that bad (I would have assumed a bigger difference). I'm assuming that the way the unit it set up with the white color and vents that this helps to dissipate the heat?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
That is what I have found.  Note that in still air, as opposed to windy conditions, the variance will be higher.  Look - you kinda get what ya pay for - but for the price these are decent units IMHO.  BTW, I don' tthink there is much difference in price from 3 to 5 sensor station (Facebook discounts; sales, etc.)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
Thanks for replying Bushman! I know the members here must get asked tons of questions about weather stations so I appreciate you taking the time to answer mine! So without the fan (such as in the 3-in-1) the temp will only be off by a degree or two in direct sunlight? A degree or 2 doesn't seem that bad (I would have assumed a bigger difference). I'm assuming that the way the unit it set up with the white color and vents that this helps to dissipate the heat?
Being at your higher latitude, solar insolation won't be as much as a factor for your decision on whether to aspirate your shield or not. I can't speak for Acurite, but here in So. Arizona where insolation is a huge deal, my aspirated VP2 can be up to 4F cooler that the neighbors non-aspirated VP2 on calm wind days.

Offline Motobob

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
You may enjoy the 5-1 a little better.  See:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?p=1956

Bob

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
Can't comment on the 5 N 1 but I have had the 3 N 1 and it was a pain in the rear. Aside from the previously mentioned temperature and humidity issues, the wind speed was 10 mph lower than my VP2 anemometer. That was before I upgraded to NRG sensors.

Both anemometers were within 5' of each other. The wind speed inaccuracies were similar to their first wind station  model 00594w. Maybe Acu-rite fixed this in the 5 N 1 bit not the 3 N 1. But I'm not a fan of Acu-rite.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Purple Pisces

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's feedback! I know the 5-in-1 gives more info, but the main things I think my mom will enjoy are the barometric pressure, wind chill, dew point and wind speed so I've decided on the 3-in-1. I tried to do a lot of research and read reviews and the unit seems to have a good rating, plus Amazon offers an option to purchase an extended 2 year warranty so that makes me feel more comfortable about purchasing the unit. Thanks again!! :)