Author Topic: Best books on weather for the novice.  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Bull

• KTXCONVE2
Best books on weather for the novice.
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
I could use some help on what would be the best books to buy to learn about weather. I am a novice and want to learn much more. My station is a Davis Vantage Vue.

Thanks

Jim

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Best books on weather for the novice.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
It's fairly new, but The Weather Observers Handbook by Stephen Burt is a good one (I bought it for Kindle at $17.50, paperback is $35).

For meteorology, I found the Teaching Company's Meteorology: An Introduction to the Wonders of the Weather by Professor Robert G. Fovell, University of California, Los Angeles was an excellent college-level overview on meteorology .. Local libraries often have loaner copies of these courses, and discounts are usually available for purchase of the course.  Try the library first...

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline William Grimsley

• Forecaster
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Best books on weather for the novice.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:30:01 AM »
If you live in the U.K. or go to live in the U.K. you can sign up to a seasonal subscription to "TheWeatherClub" and they issue a magazine type book thing every 3 months called "theWeather". It's really interesting and gives you info about what has happened in the past season. e.g. This summer has been wet so alot of it this time was about the rain.

Hope this helps.

Will
http://www.newton-poppleford-weather.co.uk
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus v1.9.4 (1084)
Weather Underground: IDEVONEX12
Met Office WOW: 717144
PWS Weather: ENG128597

anything