Author Topic: Error Uploading Data Profile/WU on WeatherLink  (Read 14605 times)

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Error Uploading Data Profile/WU on WeatherLink
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »

To simplify your analysis of the wind speed calculations, I have added a new CSV Export function below the statistics on the main WUHU screen.

To export a range of data, select the from and to time. For example, to export all data for the day, select hours or minutes, select 0 to M for the range, then hit the Export button. Only records that fall within that range will be exported.

If you want to see the last 60 minutes, you select the radio button 'Mins', then enter 0 to 60.

Once you click the Export button, You will then be prompted for a location to store the data. By default, this will be the WUHU program directory. The filename is automatically generated by date and time. After the save, you can click the Export button again then right click the CSV file that was generated, then select open. This allows you to quickly locate and open the file after you have generated it.

If you have Excel installed, once you select 'Open', the CSV file will then be opened in Excel. The first line in the file is the header information so that you know what each column of data represents.

You can then calculate the statisitics for a given column of data. When the sheet is open, select Tools then Data Analysis... On the next screen, select Discriptive Statisitics then click Ok. On the next screen, select the range by clicking the column header (should show something like $G:$G when column is selected). Check the box 'Labels in first row'. The 'Labels in first row' option is important, it tells Excel to ignore the first line otherwise errors are generated. Below in the 'Output options' select the checkbox Summary Statistics. After you click Ok, you will be presented with a new worksheet that contains data like this:

Wind Speed   

Mean   1.835039413
Standard Error   0.018111108
Median   1.6
Mode   0
Standard Deviation   1.742906008
Sample Variance   3.037721351
Kurtosis   0.407934877
Skewness   0.800812223
Range   12.1
Minimum   0
Maximum   12.1
Sum   16994.3
Count   9261

To get the new export function, download and install this version:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B35.zip

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »
I just noticed, the stats produced within Excel will not match exactly when analyzing wind speed data.

Zero wind speeds are not included in the WUHU calculations but they will be included in the Excel statistics.

What you would need to do is create an auto-filter for the column of data excluding 0 wind speeds. Copy and paste the resulting values to a new column, then perform the Data Analysis on the new column.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:25:40 PM by wuhu_software »

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually have the Davis connected to a very old comp, which I don't think has Excel (or any part of Microsoft Office, including Word). Perhaps I could still go through the procedure and email the file to another computer, then open it on the other computer. I may have troube with the Excel portion, though (lol...major Excel illiteracy), but maybe I should try something simple, like setting the update interval to like 30 seconds (w/WU uploads off) and writing down on paper each wind ob from each data packet, averaging, then comparing to what's on the WUHU screen.

The reason I cite the WxSolution avgs is because I have done periodic checks comparing them with the avgs on WeatherLink, and they always match up perfectly. I used to have WeatherLink on a 10 min upload interval, so to compare hourly obs I would just add the 6 10-min obs that cover an hour and divide by 6 to get the hourly mean speed, then compare to WxSolution. That's basically why I cite the WxSolution avgs here.

One last note. I know I am pretty darn picky about this stuff, so if I keep struggling with this, certainly don't feel obligated to keep helping me! The WeatherLink obs for my station are acceptable, or I could just go back to WxSolution obs. Either way, I would feel bad bothering you any further about this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:46:21 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually have the Davis connected to a very old comp, which I don't think has Excel (or any part of Microsoft Office, including Word). Perhaps I could still go through the procedure and email the file to another computer, then open it on the other computer. I may have troube with the Excel portion, though (lol...major Excel illiteracy), but maybe I should try something simple, like setting the update interval to like 30 seconds (w/WU uploads off) and writing down on paper each wind ob from each data packet, averaging, then comparing to what's on the WUHU screen.

The reason I cite the WxSolution avgs is because I have done periodic checks comparing them with the avgs on WeatherLink, and they always match up perfectly. I used to have WeatherLink on a 10 min upload interval, so to compare hourly obs I would just add the 6 10-min obs that cover an hour and divide by 6 to get the hourly mean speed, then compare to WxSolution. That's basically why I cite the WxSolution avgs here.

One last note. I know I am pretty darn picky about this stuff, so if I keep struggling with this, certainly don't feel obligated to keep helping me! The WeatherLink obs for my station are acceptable, or I could just go back to WxSolution obs. Either way, I would feel bad bothering you any further about this.

If you have any problems with the Excel stuff let me know. I am a novice in Excel but I am able to compute the averages over the column. You can email me the .csv and I can send you back the results.

I have no idea how Weatherlink and WxSolution calculate averages. In WUHU, every sample from the Davis is used in the computation. That means there are nearly 25 samples per minute that are included. Wind speeds of zero are not included.

Thanks for messing with it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:22:29 PM by wuhu_software »

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »

If you have any problems with the Excel stuff let me know. I am a novice in Excel but I am able to compute the averages over the column. You can email me the .csv and I can send you back the results.

I have no idea how Weatherlink and WxSolution calculate averages. In WUHU, every sample from the Davis is used in the computation. That means there are nearly 25 samples per minute that are included. Wind speeds of zero are not included.

Lightbulb just went off...I think I got it!!

If windspeeds of zero are not included, that means it's taking just the average of all the other values (1 mph, 2 mph, 3 mph, etc.), right? That would explain my problem. The wind has been very light here the past couple of days. So, there have been many data packets of 0 mph winds- perhaps even most of the data packets have had 0 mph winds- and that is why my wind speeds seem too high, because those 0 mph packets aren't being taken into account. So, when the wind finally picks up here tomorrow, there will likely be a negligible amount of 0 mph data packets, and the averages will be fine.

In that case- I apologize for all of my false hypothesizing here, as I've been missing the point that 0 mph samples aren't counted. I just need some wind to see everything in action! Tomorrow should have peak gusts in the 20-25 mph range, so maybe some 20 min avgs up to around 8 mph at my location. That isn't much wind compared to some of the better wind events here, but after an unusually calm few weeks, it will be worth it. I'm looking forward to really seeing the WUHU upload in action now.  :grin:

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 07:02:13 PM »

Lightbulb just went off...I think I got it!!

If windspeeds of zero are not included, that means it's taking just the average of all the other values (1 mph, 2 mph, 3 mph, etc.), right? That would explain my problem. The wind has been very light here the past couple of days. So, there have been many data packets of 0 mph winds- perhaps even most of the data packets have had 0 mph winds- and that is why my wind speeds seem too high, because those 0 mph packets aren't being taken into account. So, when the wind finally picks up here tomorrow, there will likely be a negligible amount of 0 mph data packets, and the averages will be fine.

In that case- I apologize for all of my false hypothesizing here, as I've been missing the point that 0 mph samples aren't counted. I just need some wind to see everything in action! Tomorrow should have peak gusts in the 20-25 mph range, so maybe some 20 min avgs up to around 8 mph at my location. That isn't much wind compared to some of the better wind events here, but after an unusually calm few weeks, it will be worth it. I'm looking forward to really seeing the WUHU upload in action now.  :grin:

Don't feel bad, I did not remember that zero wind speeds were not included in the calculations until I compare the spreadsheet data with the on screen data and they did not match.

I read a couple of posts on the CWOP list where this issue was discussed. The suggestion was to not include zero wind speeds since it does not really make sense to do so. I followed their advice.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »

Don't feel bad, I did not remember that zero wind speeds were not included in the calculations until I compare the spreadsheet data with the on screen data and they did not match.

I read a couple of posts on the CWOP list where this issue was discussed. The suggestion was to not include zero wind speeds since it does not really make sense to do so. I followed their advice.

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I see how that could be beneficial; especially in CWOP's case. Either way, it is pretty uncommon that winds are so calm here for an extended period of time; near calm obs usually only occur here for 6-9 hours every night or so- not for two straight days.

By the way, unrelated side note- I always keep the WeatherLink database going constantly because it serves as another form of backup data for me, so I will check to see if the 3:30AM error still persists. I have a feeling that error only occured because of the uploads to WU, since the error was w/the WU upload, so it will be interesting to see if it persists now that WU uploads are controlled by WUHU.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I see how that could be beneficial; especially in CWOP's case. Either way, it is pretty uncommon that winds are so calm here for an extended period of time; near calm obs usually only occur here for 6-9 hours every night or so- not for two straight days.

By the way, unrelated side note- I always keep the WeatherLink database going constantly because it serves as another form of backup data for me, so I will check to see if the 3:30AM error still persists. I have a feeling that error only occured because of the uploads to WU, since the error was w/the WU upload, so it will be interesting to see if it persists now that WU uploads are controlled by WUHU.

Do you ever see failed CWOP uploads? The code I have for CWOP is pretty bullet proof. I have not seen a single upload error in months.

Also, I talked to the guys at WU about the round-off/rounding in the tabular data.

They are going to update the schema next month so that the wind speed with have .1 precision.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »
I actually still have the CWOP uploads handled by WxSolution. It's handled the CWOP uploads for over two years, and has been quite good, so no real need to change. I can say that the WU uploads on WUHU have been bulletproof, though- haven't missed a single one yet.

That is good to hear about WU changing to have better precision on the wind speed obs; it will be nice to not have WU do the rounding anymore. It'll take a bit of getting used to having decimal places in the tabular data, but it's defnately a good thing to have better precision. I look forward to seeing WU put that into effect.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
Posting an update after the first full day of decent winds here since WUHU switch.

The winds stayed light and variable during the morning under a pesky inversion and thick cloud cover, but the sun came out this afternoon, and some gusty winds mixed down. I had a couple gusts to 22 at the station this afternoon.

Now for the WUHU obs analysis. First off, the wind direction consistency has been awesome this afternoon with the gusty winds. The benefit of having a 20-min avg wind direction, as opposed to a 2-min avg, is definatley pretty significant. Sustained speeds have been solid, too- no problems there at all.

I hate to say, but I have had some problems with gusts being uploaded to WU today. Now, this gust problem doesn't mean the problem has to be associated with WUHU itself. In capturing those brief, 2.5-second gusts, I would think even a computer lag would cause problems- and the wx comp I use is old and laggy. It could be anything. Regardless of the cause, the gusts shown on my Wunderground data are not always representative of the actual highest gust during some of the intervals. For example, there was a 20 mph gust at around 12:20 PM that was, for whatever reason, not represented in the WU upload. Instead, the highest gust during that interval is listed as being 16 mph on WU. The same happened with a gust to 21 at around 2:30 PM. The WU upload indicated a peak gust of only 20 during this interval. In addition, a gust to 22 at around 5:15 PM was not shown on WU; the highest gust for that interval is shown as being only 19 mph. I cite these examples since they were obvious to me when comparing the CWOP data (uploaded by WxSolution) w/the WU data, but there likely were other instances where the peak gust was a bit under-represented.

It does seem like the problem is in the communication between the Davis and WUHU. For whatever reason, I've never had any missed gusts on WeatherLink or WxSolution in over 2 years of operation; Gary Oldham does note in his reviews that those two programs are top of the line for capturing every single data packet. Like I said before, maybe my computer is the reason why WUHU doesn't seem to always pick up the peak gusts. Or, could it be back to reporting just the 10-min gust? I have no idea what the problem is, but after all that wuhu_software has done to update the application, I wouldn't be surprised if this was something wrong w/my computer, or the signal coming from my Davis, etc. In the WUHU log, I get an error message that says "failed to retrieve weather data from the console" every hour or so, although that messgae doesn't seem to correlate in any way with the missed peak gusts. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the culprit here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:14:43 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
Posting an update after the first full day of decent winds here since WUHU switch.

The winds stayed light and variable during the morning under a pesky inversion and thick cloud cover, but the sun came out this afternoon, and some gusty winds mixed down. I had a couple gusts to 22 at the station this afternoon.

Now for the WUHU obs analysis. First off, the wind direction consistency has been awesome this afternoon with the gusty winds. The benefit of having a 20-min avg wind direction, as opposed to a 2-min avg, is definatley pretty significant. Sustained speeds have been solid, too- no problems there at all.

I hate to say, but I have had some problems with gusts being uploaded to WU today. Now, this gust problem doesn't mean the problem has to be associated with WUHU itself. In capturing those brief, 2.5-second gusts, I would think even a computer lag would cause problems- and the wx comp I use is old and laggy. It could be anything. Regardless of the cause, the gusts shown on my Wunderground data are not always representative of the actual highest gust during some of the intervals. For example, there was a 20 mph gust at around 12:20 PM that was, for whatever reason, not represented in the WU upload. Instead, the highest gust during that interval is listed as being 16 mph on WU. The same happened with a gust to 21 at around 2:30 PM. The WU upload indicated a peak gust of only 20 during this interval. In addition, a gust to 22 at around 5:15 PM was not shown on WU; the highest gust for that interval is shown as being only 19 mph. I cite these examples since they were obvious to me when comparing the CWOP data (uploaded by WxSolution) w/the WU data, but there likely were other instances where the peak gust was a bit under-represented.

It does seem like the problem is in the communication between the Davis and WUHU. For whatever reason, I've never had any missed gusts on WeatherLink or WxSolution in over 2 years of operation; Gary Oldham does note in his reviews that those two programs are top of the line for capturing every single data packet. Like I said before, maybe my computer is the reason why WUHU doesn't seem to always pick up the peak gusts. Or, could it be back to reporting just the 10-min gust? I have no idea what the problem is, but after all that wuhu_software has done to update the application, I wouldn't be surprised if this was something wrong w/my computer, or the signal coming from my Davis, etc. In the WUHU log, I get an error message that says "failed to retrieve weather data from the console" every hour or so, although that messgae doesn't seem to correlate in any way with the missed peak gusts. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the culprit here.

If you can create an Export an send me the .csv file, I can take a look and see what was captured.

Do a Export of say the last 12 hours.

Send a copy to wuhu_sofware at yahoo.com

Thanks.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

If you can create an Export an send me the .csv file, I can take a look and see what was captured.

Do a Export of say the last 12 hours.

Send a copy to wuhu_sofware at yahoo.com

Thanks.

I didn't get a chance to dl the csv export update yesterday, but I went to do it just now so I could do the export and the link was broken...sorry...I might need a re-upload

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 09:15:33 PM »

I think you might be right that WUHU was not polling for data fast enough.

The new version will poll at 1.5 seconds and should catch ever new reading.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B36.zip

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:34 PM »
Thanks! Update downloaded, the wind is still gusting to around 10 right now so I'll see how it looks after a few uploads.

I also changed the update interval to my old standard of 10 minutes- I want to see how the data will look at 10 min intervals. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:04:23 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Thanks! Update downloaded, the wind is still gusting to around 10 right now so I'll see how it looks after a few uploads.

I also changed the update interval to my old standard of 10 minutes- I want to see how the data will look at 10 min intervals. 

Ok, sounds good. Let me know if you see anything odd.

You can fire off the CSV file to my email along with your observations if you want me to look through the data.

Thanks for your efforts.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
Obs today have looked good- all gusts seem to have been caught. The change to 1.5 second polling definatley helped.  :-)

Are you still interested in the CSV file? If so, I can go to the wx comp and send it to you. I can see no problems with my data today, but if you still want to see the file just let me know and I'll email it over.

It'll be interesting for me now to compare my WUHU data on Wunderground w/the data uploaded to WeatherLink from the datalogger. Since both are on 10-min intervals, essentially the only difference between the two sets of data is that WUHU reports an average wind vector for direction, while WL reports the dominant direction. The wind was kinda variable today, but the obs from the two methods of wind direction reporting are actually pretty comprable.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:29:19 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »
Obs today have looked good- all gusts seem to have been caught. The change to 1.5 second polling definatley helped.  :-)

Are you still interested in the CSV file? If so, I can go to the wx comp and send it to you. I can see no problems with my data today, but if you still want to see the file just let me know and I'll email it over.

It'll be interesting for me now to compare my WUHU data on Wunderground w/the data uploaded to WeatherLink from the datalogger. Since both are on 10-min intervals, essentially the only difference between the two sets of data is that WUHU reports an average wind vector for direction, while WL reports the dominant direction. The wind was kinda variable today, but the obs from the two methods of wind direction reporting are actually pretty comprable.

That is good news.

After playing with both Virtual VP and direct access to the serial ports, I have tweaked the timing a bit more.

If you want to test it, here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B37.zip

Thanks.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 11:51:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay- been very busy the past couple of days. Just downloaded the latest update. All has been running smoothly!

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »
Sorry for the delay- been very busy the past couple of days. Just downloaded the latest update. All has been running smoothly!

Thanks for the update.

There is yet another update to WUHU.

This version should upload any data that was either stored in the console or failed to upload during normal processing.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B39.zip

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

Thanks for the update.

There is yet another update to WUHU.

This version should upload any data that was either stored in the console or failed to upload during normal processing.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B39.zip

Sounds good- I'm all caught up now; everything working great.

anything