Author Topic: Disappointed in my Mk III this morning  (Read 3178 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Disappointed in my Mk III this morning
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
We are having our first significant snowfall of the season.  Nothing special, about 6" of sticky, moderately heavy snow.  About an hour ago I noticed that the wind speed went to zero and stayed there, despite occasional gusts and a steady NW breeze.  The pictures tell the story.  The anemometer has caked over with snow and stopped spinning.  Direction is still functioning, but I would think a weathers tation made by a company in Maine with decades of experience would be able to handle a small snow storm better than this.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Disappointed in my Mk III this morning
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »
wow sorry about that :(

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Don't get your undies all in a bundle.

Things happen.  By looking at how well all the other stuff is covered with sticky snow from the direction the wind was blowing, I don't think you're doing too bad.

I have pictures of my Rainwise with a coating of clear ice going around with icicles hanging off it, and one later one when the coating of ice was much thicker and it was stopped.  At the same time the Davis was froze solid, and the Peet brothers was the same.

Even my $1250 (list) RM Young 05103 was suffering.

Young makes an 'alpine' model that is black to get some heat from the sun if there is any and a special slippery coating over it and while it wasn't out for that storm, has iced over with enormous wet flakes finally (like a beaver dam) bridging the gap and all came to a halt.

I don't have any ultrasonics, but I'm darned sure they would have been covered too with that kind of condition.

Well, remember you still have the Beaufort scale to fall back on....

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
You wouldn't work if you looked like that either.  :-P

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:40 PM »
Then buy a heated ultrasonic. Problem solved.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
You're all right of course.  The situation has actually gotten worse.  The temp has dropped from 32 to 28 and that sucker is froze up.  Lonnie at Rainwise told me they tested the battery by putting a fully charged unit in a chest freezer for 6 months.  We'll see how long it takes for the solar panel to clear and how well the battery lasts in the mean time.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »

You should have seen me when I came in from snow blowing!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »

Ick. You can have it. We're pushing 80F in a few days!  =D>

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »

Well that's the funny part.  36 hours ago we weren't supposed to get anything and the sun went down hast night in the pleasant 50s.  I was stunned to get the no school call this morning. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »

Well that's the funny part.  36 hours ago we weren't supposed to get anything and the sun went down hast night in the pleasant 50s.  I was stunned to get the no school call this morning.
Heard yesterday that this will be an omega block, so things could stay this way for some time.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
I think the real question is how did it freeze up?  I mean I've had mine running in some Virginia style snow and it ended up getting pretty covered with snow. However, there was always a breeze to keep it moving.  In this case it almost sounds like the cold air came in rather quickly and quietly and settled on a moisture laden surface. 

This is another vote for NOT putting stations way up on roofs and the such.  I understand that not everyone has the perfect location and in this case even if it was at ground level I wouldn't touch it until it thaws out.

Good luck!

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Right about high noon today I noticed the anemometer spinning again as the sun hit it. 

This is another vote for NOT putting stations way up on roofs and the such.  I understand that not everyone has the perfect location and in this case even if it was at ground level I wouldn't touch it until it thaws out.

Good luck!

I plan to move the main unit to the back yard this Spring, but even when I do I plan to leave the anemometer where it is, so I guess I could still have this problem in the future.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
Right about high noon today I noticed the anemometer spinning again as the sun hit it. 

Good luck!

I plan to leave the anemometer where it is, so I guess I could still have this problem in the future.

how do you do that?

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »
2 feet of snow here last week and my Vue spun the whole storm.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
Wait, the banner on your reply says it is 44.8 degrees there.  You can't have any snow left with temps like that.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
Wait, the banner on your reply says it is 44.8 degrees there.  You can't have any snow left with temps like that.

Lol. Got alot left.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »

Good luck!

I plan to leave the anemometer where it is, so I guess I could still have this problem in the future.

how do you do that?

Rainwise sells a package with a 50 foot Cat5 extension cable and a cap of some sort to separate the anemometer from the main sensor array.  I'm hoping I can substitute a 100' cable because for my application I don't think 50' is long enough.  I don't have too many details on it but Lonnie told me they sell them.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »

Good luck!

how do you do that?

Rainwise sells a package with a 50 foot Cat5 extension cable and a cap of some sort to separate the anemometer from the main sensor array.  I'm hoping I can substitute a 100' cable because for my application I don't think 50' is long enough.  I don't have too many details on it but Lonnie told me they sell them.

ugh...good luck with that. 

anything