Author Topic: Strange thunder question....  (Read 6088 times)

Offline AdamGH

Strange thunder question....
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
About 4 years ago we were living in NC and during a late night storm I was on the rear porch and saw a 3 fork lightning strike about 1/2 mile from our home. The thunder that followed was very very strange.  It wasn't a rolling noise and it did not have the crack that most thunder has.... it was 4 booms very close together then a it sounded like a very large snare drum.   Has anyone heard that before or know anything about it?  Three of my neighbors heard it and we all talked about for a few days afterwards.   To this day I am still like   :shock:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Strange thunder question....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:28:34 PM »
Sounds like you had to be there for that one.
Maybe John Bonham and Keith Moon got bored and decided to have some fun. :grin:

Offline StormChase Group

• Hi-Tec-Red-Nek
    • The Weather BB
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:48:42 AM »
I have heard thunder like that before. I think its cool the different sounds thunder makes.
Shawn Gossman
The Weather BB - A free weather and climate message forum open to all ages.
StormChase Group - My Storm Chasing Videos on YouTube.com.

blackjack52

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
As the percussion (from the 27,000F lighting exploding air) travels, it passes through "clear" air, clouds, rain, etc, causing changes in freq and arrival times to your ear.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:23:12 AM »
I have heard thunder like that. In fact, I have heard some almost identical to that. It started out as rolling thunder, followed by the sound of four or five "bass drum" style booms, before the standard violent crack that would normally be associated with a nearby lightning strike. Can't tell you what does it like that, but I can tell you that you and your neighbors were not just "hearing things."

anything