Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe  (Read 2308 times)

Offline AF6GL

• Jeffries Ranch Weather Center
Ham Radio Deluxe
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
I enjoy using VWS with my Vantage Vue but when ever I open HRD it locks up VWS requiring a full reboot to fix. Anyone have a similar problem and find a fix?

Thanks

Offline K6SGH

• K6SGH
Re: Ham Radio Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
just tested it on my computer. running hrd beta5.0 build 2434 and VWS 14.01  p31. no problems, both running fine together. only thing you might check is to make sure both programs aren't trying to access the same com port.  mine are on two different ports.

Offline AF6GL

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the input. I use the USB version.

Offline AF6GL

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
I think I have fixed my problem. At least initial testing is going well. For those following the thread, or may have the problem in the future, this is what I found out. I thought I was using the latest versions of the software but was not. The documentation for both WeatherLink (5.9.2 dated 3/26/10) and VWS (14.01 p31) was a little lacking in the matter.

I was using USB not utilizing a virtual comm port. This worked fine for weather but VWS would crash shortly after opening HRD. Although it acted like a comm port conflict, I wasn't using a virtual serial port so could not find a conflict. After everyone had had such bad experience with the USB version I was afraid to change anything but I did. I decided to try a virtual comm port and see if I could force ports eliminating the problem.

Davis updated the drivers but left them out of the latest software version and didn't identify the drivers. Digging around for the umpteenth time, I found driver updates that seem to work. Following the instructions to utilize a virtual serial port (VSP) the file included in Weatherlink did not work. Instead download the Vantage DLL package dated 1/29/10 and install. Although dated three months prior to the software release, this seemed to work. I then reconfigured for serial comm ports in both Weatherlink then VWS and it seemed to work, at least for now.

Why a hardware serial port was conflicting with a USB port is beyond me but I'm not arguing with success.