Author Topic: Testing an Upgrade to WL 5.9.3?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Testing an Upgrade to WL 5.9.3?
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
I am considering upgrading from 5.8.3 on my remote Netbook but was wondering is anyone has any thoughts as to:

a) stability of the current build (I'm running XP SP2)
b) keeping  all the WL files from the current install
c) reverting back in case it dumps on me

Any other issues on the process?  Like uninstalling older versions  - I have 5.8.2 as well as .3 on the existing box.
TIA!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Testing an Upgrade to WL 5.9.3?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
I've had no problems with 5.9.3 on a clean install on XP SP3 on an Acer Netbook.  I simply copied the folder and subfolders from a 5.9.2 laptop that had been on an XP SP1 and later XP SP2 and dumped them into the appropriate place on the 5.9.3 machine.  The 5.9.2 install had been upgraded from 5.8.3 and earlier versions without problem. When I upgraded, I simply left the older versions on the laptop.  The laptop didn't have HD space constraints.

I simply haven't gotten around to upgrading 5.9.2 to 5.9.3.

WL only has to work with WLIPs and a serial logger though.  No USB loggers here to potentially cause problems..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:01:27 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
I had absolutely no issues installing each newer version of WL.

In particular, on my Windows XP SP3 machine, upgrading from 5.9.2 to 5.9.3 was entirely smooth.  No need to uninstall 5.9.2.  Upgraded in-place to the same folder, without loss of data, etc. 

Of course, you do have a good backup strategy, don't you?

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »
a) Stability? have not seen and major issues with XP (SP2 or SP3) and some bugs in 5.9.3 are basically inheritated from previous versions.

b) you would do this anyway regardless as a matter of course and good archieve practice based on current download

c)  No drama with the data & station files archived

As a matter of course I typically uninstall any previous version/s anyway.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »
I sent an email to Davis about this last week because I want to upgrade without spending anything more. So how often does Davis release newer versions of WeatherLink?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
It doesn't cost anything to upgrade WeatherLink software for current owners of previous builds. Just download and install the exe. I would back-up the existing WeatherLink folder, JUST in case.

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp

The software update pages don't give any release history (dates)  but from digging around it appears version 5.9x came out sometime in 2009.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
It doesn't cost anything to upgrade WeatherLink software for current owners of previous builds.

Just think there should be a small caveat here. It's been a (very) long time since WL had a major version number update, eg v4.x to v5.0. But when that last happened then IIRC the upgrade was chargeable and not free. It's difficult to know whether Davis are effectively going to allow WL to wither on the vine and maybe there never will be a v6. But if v6 should ever happen (eg something more like WDTU but with graphics and reporting tools) then don't be surprised if the update is chargeable again.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything