Author Topic: An Oldie, But A Goodie  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Zeus

An Oldie, But A Goodie
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
This Heathkit model ID-4001 digital weather computer has been in continuous operation at my house for 33 years, since it was built in June of 1982, and I have enjoyed every day of faithful service it has given me.

The LED's are still uniform in brightness.  The fact that some look brighter is just an anomaly of the photograph.

One of my favorite features of this unit is that the wind speed and wind direction readings are in real time.  The time and date display alternates, 8 seconds for the time and 2 seconds for the date and the temperature display alternates between the indoor and outdoor temperature every 2 seconds.  The alternating functions can be switched off independently to display the selected readings continuously.  It retains the high and low readings for the indoor and outdoor temperatures, barometric pressure and the peak wind gust along with the time and date they occurred.  It also has a wind chill function, rate of change per hour for the barometric pressure and a wind averaging setting.  Another favorite feature is that since this unit is 16” wide, the display with ˝” tall LED’s is large enough to easily be read from across the room in any lighting condition.

As far as accuracy goes, it is spot on.  As an example, I compared all of the readings displayed on my weather computer at the exact time this picture was taken with those of a nearby friend, also a member here, who has a very comprehensive Web site utilizing very sophisticated data collection equipment, and all of my readings were exactly the same as his.

Luckily, in spite of the longevity of service, my weather station has suffered only a few problems over its decades of service.  In 1987, static discharge from a near miss lightning strike necessitated replacement of the main CPU chip and a memory chip.  Happily, they were still available at that time, which is currently not the case.  In 1997, the outdoor temperature sensor malfunctioned, giving erratic readings.  Since there were no temperature sensors available at that time, I had to fabricate one using an LM-3911 IC.  In 1999, one of the cups was broken off of the anemometer during a hail storm.  All in all, not a bad track record for 33 years of service. Luckily again, I was able to trouble shoot and repair these problems myself.

The wind sensor boom is located 30 feet above the ground.  Oh, and before you ask.  Yes, the TV antenna on my roof is functional.  I have not had cable or satellite TV service for over 20 years and have not missed one single minute of it.  I am amused by my friends and family who are paying dearly for 170+ channels of nothing worth watching.  But, I digress.

I have often thought of replacing the main CPU chip with a now available plugin circuit board providing a serial port that would allow me to connect the weather station to a computer for data recording and also then have the ability to share the weather data on the Internet.  How unique that would be to have this old war-horse hitched up to modern technology.

However, there are two drawbacks that have kept me from doing this.  One is that the real-time wind speed and direction data is sacrificed for a sampling rate display.  Also, the indoor Min/Max temperature data is not logged, which I suppose is not really that big a deal, as long as the furnace and A/C do their job.  I have a concern too that, because of its age, manhandling the internals by opening the unit up and separating the two main circuit boards in order to replace the main CPU with the plug-in circuit board and do some required rewiring might compromise the unit.  I am a huge proponent of the old saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.  However, it is comforting to know that a replacement unit is out there should the CPU chip ever fail.

I have my fingers crossed and hope that my vintage weather station continues to provide me with accurate and reliable service for many more years.

Now, all I need is for someone to develop a computer interface for my weather rock.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:14:41 AM by Zeus »

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: An Oldie, But A Goodie
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
Nice Station!
As a HAM, I've heard about Heathkit and how (when they were in business) used to make good equipment and kits. I guess this is another example.  :grin:

One thought to to giving it a computer interface, If you thinking about opening it up. Drop in an Atmel ATMega 328 Micro-controller, commonly found in the Arduino Uno.
It would require a bit of programming, but should be able to do what you need. just my $0.02 worth.

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »

Interface for 'Weather Rock'...

Sorry,, I couldn't resist the temptation....

BTW good looking rig you have there....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:11:40 PM by WA4TM »

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
Thanks WA4TM for the compliment and your clever suggestion for an interface for my weather rock.  I got a big laugh out of that.  Cute dogs you have BTW.  I have to go now to walk my pet rock.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »
Well Done!  Few devices could beat a HeathKit, if directions followed.... sigh... those were the days...
real honest resistors that could blister your fingers, components you could see without a magnifier...
Wire!  Remember Wire??? Anybody?  Chassis!  Good'n'heavy.. with the occasional burr to slit a finger...
Vibrators for batteries!  Slug Tuning!  Good Stuff! Something broke, ya replaced the broken part, not an  assembly. And ya could get it at your local TV Repairman's junk drawer...

Betcha that jewel has many, many years left!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:18:53 PM »
I have several of these around.

There is one with the replacement CPU kit in it, which I didn't do, but didn't notice that the display isn't real time any more.  I thought it would be even more so.  It does add quite a bit of functionality.  Since these don't get as hot as the ID-5001 does, I doubt any serious damage to the wiring harness from age alone.

How are the electrolytics holding up after that long?

Another rarity, I'm pretty sure I have one in an unassembled state.  I was going to have it as a winter project to do with my son, and have him learn to solder better and enjoy one of the last of the kits that I'd not assembled yet.

My question is, I believe the ceramic and tantalum capacitors are unaffected by age, but one cannot say the same for electrolytics.

If I do get the box down and go through it and decide to embark on assembly, should I just gather the replacement value electrolytics and put them in the power supply and whereever else they appear, or is there some way to test the ones to see if they are still good and take the chance of having to trouble shoot in a few years.

As noted this is something that stays on all the time, and puts them at a disadvantage.

PS, this is indeed a beast.  I have some ID-5001s around, too, but they all have some problem with them.  I think they overdesigned them with an attempt at a fancy dimmer circuit for the back light and a few other things mostly related to that gorgeous display.  I have a friend who has lost function after function (mainly the humidity sensor including the revised one that they kitted a few years after the kits came out) but keeps it on in his living room just as a tv/night light and clock.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
I'd love to have one of those again. Mine took a static charge during a T' Storm couple years ago. Wind speed never did work properly again. I sold it. Wish I still had it. 33 years?! That's very impressive!!! Anyone know where I can find one of these units in working order for sale? ;) Thanks!!

Don in Ohio

Here's a youtube video I did of mine in operation... enjoy. http://youtu.be/ISz_i_VaArc

Offline rjoc

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 04:40:52 AM »
Congrats on the long life! I had one in Kodiak Alaska from 1987-1999. Went thru one anemometer/wind vane and replaced it with another in 1994. When I moved back here to Maine in 1999 I had it up and running for a year before it basciallly just wore out and the cross-arm mount for anemometer corroded (near the ocean at both locales) Still have it stored in cellar; if somebody wants to salvage it for parts, be my guest! Replaced with a Rainwise for 3 years; then Vantage Pro in 2003 which is nearing the end of its' life, I'm afraid.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »
Ouch, I didn't know that living near the ocean was that hard on stuff.

As a Midwestern landlubber I guess there are advantages to having no mountains, oceans, tall pines, etc.

I guess the marine versions of RM Young stuff for buoys and such do have a hard life.

I'm glad folks aren't just trashing some of this stuff.  At the risk of being a clutter hound, perhaps someone will breath new life into an old workhorse.

Dale

PS, is the ocean as hard on all things metal as it is on the aluminum weather sensor mount?  I mean antennas , cars, everything?

Wow.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline rjoc

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
It can be...salt spray is very corrosive...I try to keep my car clean and in the garage.

Offline WDoug

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
I, too, still have my ID-4001 up and running.  It's my pride and joy.  None of the newer
weather stations come close to the style of the Heathkit.   Those nice bright LED's  can
be viewed across the room.   The only thing that has gone wrong with mine after all these
years, are the wind cups were destroyed in a hail storm.   I was able to fabricate new ones
and it works as good as new.   I also replaced the bearings a while back,  other than that,
that unit is a work horse.   

Take pride in what you have.   Nothing like it will ever come along again.

Offline pomonabill221

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »
Used to LOVE Heathkit!
Built several of their kits and of course, they still function today!
I was very very sad to see them go!
Now with RatShack biting the dust, that is another yank at the DIY'er (although RS isn't even close to what Heath was...still a part of my past).

That is a very nice and "stylish" station!  I remember seeing them in their catalog, but never was able to afford one... wish I was able to though.

They had some very good and unique designs in their kits, the instructions were well written, the circuit explanations, kitting, on and on!
sigh.....

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »
I remember getting a Heathkit thermometer for Christmas probably around 35 or so years ago and building it with my dad in the basement...that was my first digital thermometer ...don't have it any more but my dad is still going strong at 100 years of age.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
Sigh -  thanks for the photo and history - just plain awesome.

Randall

Offline ak926

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
Very Nice !   You have had your 4001 since 1982 ?   Wow !  I had one from 1980-1993 on my parents house 33 ft above ground. Wish I still had it. What are some of the extreme winds you have recorded with yours ?   I had a gust to 58mph once in a thunderstorm gust !
Ever see these for sale anywhere ? in kit or already built ?
Thanks,
Anthony

Offline WDoug

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Back in the mid 80's,  I was living in Nebraska.    We had a nasty cold air mass come down from Canada.   Air temp was around -15 and the wind was gusting to around 50mph.   I watched the wind chill reading on my ID-4001 read -92.    That was flipping cold!!!!

Here in Arizona, I got to see the highest temperature ever of 122 degrees.

Those are my extreme readings on the old boy.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Back in the mid 80's,  I was living in Nebraska.    We had a nasty cold air mass come down from Canada.   Air temp was around -15 and the wind was gusting to around 50mph.   I watched the wind chill reading on my ID-4001 read -92.    That was flipping cold!!!!

Here in Arizona, I got to see the highest temperature ever of 122 degrees.

Those are my extreme readings on the old boy.

That was before they changed the windchill formula. Still very cold for sure. 
Many around here still remember the old windchill charts and don't realize they changed. Just the other day someone was saying "It just doesn't get as cold in Valentine anymore, -50 below wind chills were common when I was growing up."

I built a heathkit barometer back in the 80's also.
Randy

Offline ak926

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 04:36:12 AM »
Yes , I remember looking in my room real quick to get the current temp and wind !   If you had to purchase a new weather station to replace the 4001 what station would you purchase ? Do you remember what the price of the Heathkit 4001 was back in 1982 ?
I remember you could get as a kit or already built ?
Thanks

Offline Lord Volvo

• Heathkit Weather Instruments Facebook Fan Page
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
I also have the ID-4001.  Mine's been in use since 1987 with no problems with the display.  I have had some issues with the sensors inside the anemometer; occasionally I'll get a wind "gust" out of nowhere when the cups aren't turning.  Also the multi-wire cable's sheath is worn and causes multiple wind direction LEDs to be displayed after a good rainfall.  I'll have to put some shrink-wrapping on the exposed sections, or install a new cable.

I installed DataPro's CPU upgrade which allows data uploading abilities to a PC and various weather observational sites (Wunderground, CWOP of which my data is available at).  The one drawback to this upgrade is the wind speed updates every second instead of about every half-second as before.  Also the barometer seems a bit less stable than before the upgrade.

Otherwise, like you said, the display has been flawless.  No components other than a few IC chips soon after it was built had to be replaced.  All LEDs are uniformly bright.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:54 PM »
I also have the ID-4001.  Mine's been in use since 1987 with no problems with the display.  I have had some issues with the sensors inside the anemometer; occasionally I'll get a wind "gust" out of nowhere when the cups aren't turning.  Also the multi-wire cable's sheath is worn and causes multiple wind direction LEDs to be displayed after a good rainfall.  I'll have to put some shrink-wrapping on the exposed sections, or install a new cable.

I installed DataPro's CPU upgrade which allows data uploading abilities to a PC and various weather observational sites (Wunderground, CWOP of which my data is available at).  The one drawback to this upgrade is the wind speed updates every second instead of about every half-second as before.  Also the barometer seems a bit less stable than before the upgrade.

Otherwise, like you said, the display has been flawless.  No components other than a few IC chips soon after it was built had to be replaced.  All LEDs are uniformly bright.

Love love LOVE those units!! Do you have any video on youtube or elsewhere where one can watch these fine pieces of equipment in operation? Where are you located? Your name sounds familiar!

Don in Ohio

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
That is one cool rig!  33 years!  They don't build them like that anymore.

Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Lord Volvo

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
Hi Don.  I'm in Kettering, a south suburb of Dayton.

I don't have any YouTube videos of my 4001 in action but I think others do.

I've created a Facebook page dedicated to the Heathkit line of weather instruments in case anyone's interested:  https://www.facebook.com/heathkitweatherinstruments

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
I have all the Heathkit's in one form or another.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8963.msg171946#msg171946
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline Lord Volvo

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:25 PM »
Amazing!  Did you build all of them?

The standalone analog thermometer is new to me.  Was that offered at the same time as the analog station?

Also, can I copy your pics to put on my FB Heathkit Wx instruments page?

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
All the ones that are in kit form are still in kit form to this day. The ones built, I assembled them in junior high. When looking at the photos, several people think that I took a photo of the kit and then took another photo of it after it was built. Actually, those are two separate units. I have it in both kit and assembled form. The reason why I have two is because when I built these in junior high I didn't know what I was doing. I used a 100W Weller soldering gun to assemble them. You can imagine what that did to the PCB's. Lots of lifted foil and I had to put jumpers in. I'm amazed that any of them work. Not being happy with my assembly work, I wanted another chance, so I ordered all the kits again to do it right this time. One thing led to another and I never got around to building them.

The standalone thermometer I believe was only offered in 1974. I have several Heathkit catalogs and that's the only year I see it in the catalog. You're welcome to use the photos on your Facebook page. If you need any specific photos of a unit, let me know.

I had two ID-4001 kits and sold one and it came back to bite me in the butt. I told the guy that the kit was 30 years old and extreme TLC needed to be taken when assembling it. Many electronic components that old will have oxidation on the leads and on the PCB foil that needs to be cleaned off. I also told him it would be best to not use the original capacitors. He did the assembly ignoring all my advice and it didn't work when he powered it up. Of course this was somehow my fault blah, blah, blah. Anyway, the kits are old enough that they probably shouldn't be assembled and just remain as historical pieces. Some would argue this I'm sure. I think you have a high risk of failure if you get a 30 year old kit and just open up the box and assemble it. A lot of it comes down to how the kit was stored over the years. Humidity will destroy them but how do you know the storage history when you buy one on eBay. I heard the kit failure rate when assembled from eBay is pretty high. I realize some people probably make mistakes and put components in the wrong spot and put them in backwards (electrolytic capacitor). Easy enough to do as I've done it myself when I got into a hurry.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:59:19 PM by kcidwx »
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology