Author Topic: Weatherlink USB to WeatherLink IP  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Jackietools

• https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a1320598-ae1c-4267-9009-3c86e9215e32
  • Contributor
    • Jackietools
Weatherlink USB to WeatherLink IP
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
Is it possible to use the same software that came with the USB WL with the IP WL hardware. If so is there anywhere I can get just the cable for the WL IP and still use the software CD from the USB version I purchased. Id hate to spend another 200 dollars to purchase the WL IP and just be stuck with the USB version. I dont 't know if Davis would just sell the hardware without the software. Anyway I can convert the USB to plug into my router using same software so it will function as an IP version of WL. Thanks.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink USB to WeatherLink IP
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
Is it possible to use the same software that came with the USB WL with the IP WL hardware.
Yes
If so is there anywhere I can get just the cable for the WL IP and still use the software CD from the USB version I purchased. Id hate to spend another 200 dollars to purchase the WL IP and just be stuck with the USB version.
No. The software CD is supplied free (with the logger hardware).
I dont 't know if Davis would just sell the hardware without the software.
No
Anyway I can convert the USB to plug into my router using same software so it will function as an IP version of WL.
???
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Jackietools

• Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks. What I meant is there a converter/adapter that could use my USB coming off my weather station and convert it to a RJ-45 cable to plug into my router so I would not have to keep my PC running 24/7?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Thanks. What I meant is there a converter/adapter that could use my USB coming off my weather station and convert it to a RJ-45 cable to plug into my router so I would not have to keep my PC running 24/7?

That's a more complicated question. If you want to keep using the Weatherlink software then I guess that no is the simplest answer. (There are so-called Device Servers that will interface a USB device to Ethernet, but few people use them and so there's not much experience available, plus some that have tried them have run into problems. Some years back I had a Silex SX2000WG - I think it was - doing this and it ran OK for many months but they're not cheap or easy to find. Someone else may be able to chip in with some more recent experience.)

If you're willing to switch from using WL to some other Linux software like weewx or MeteoBridge then these will run on a tiny SBC computer eg a Raspberry Pi (for weewx) and give you weather data handling. But it will be something of a culture shift from WL.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Jackietools

• Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »
I have looked at it and like the idea of it being wireless but I also like the simplicity of using weatherlink and my router is positioned where I would keep my console so it is not a problem. I think maybe buying the Weatherlink Ip and trying to sell the USB version may be my best option. Thanks.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
Just be advised that if you use the Davis IP logger and send thru  Davis net and send data to CWOP that the barometer that Davis sends to CWOP will be incorrect.   

I personally would go to a metobridge before using a Davis IP logger.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
I should have added: Don't forget that the price of the IP logger includes unlimited free uploads to the weatherlink.com network service - this is principally what inflates its price over the USB logger. So you can eg turn your PC off at night but the uploads from the WLIP to wl.com will continue. You can then download the archive data from wl.com direct to your PC.

Even if you did interface your USB logger to the network, it wouldn't duplicate this service - you'd still need to leave your PC running 24/7.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Jackietools

• Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. Now to make a decision. Don't like the idea of baro being incorrect when sent to CWOP. Why haven't they corrected that yet. Surprising!

Offline Jackietools

• Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
Think I will go with weatherbride/Meteobridge. Is it hard to buy the the parts and software seperate to set it up myself. I do have some computer repair experience. How much is the software foe meteobridge. Thanks.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
There is a WHOLE section of this forum dedicated to Meteobridge and related products....it is real easy to find...................
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Jackietools

• Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
I realize that. Just wanted an opinion from someone who has done it before. Thanks