Author Topic: Skywarn: Just for hams  (Read 5624 times)

Offline p3aul

Skywarn: Just for hams
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
I have tried contacting key personnel for Georgia classes as a spotter that are coming up and have been ignored. I stated in my emails that I was not a Ham but still wanted to participate. If it's because hams have the ability to communicate with other from vehicles, I do have a cell phone and it has a contact list.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Skywarn: Just for hams
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:47:56 PM »
Hi,

To my knowledge, the Storm Spotter classes are free and open to everyone, HAMS, current Spotters, the general public, etc. I would check into a specific upcoming class and call the contact person, if they aren't answering by email.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »
Hi,

To my knowledge, the Storm Spotter classes are free and open to everyone, HAMS, current Spotters, the general public, etc. I would check into a specific upcoming class and call the contact person, if they aren't answering by email.

John
This is fact. It's free, about two hours long, and after attending you'll be assigned a spotter number. Just contact your local NWS office. However, where I live, they're only offered in the summer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:58:10 PM by CW2274 »

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:42 AM »
Here is link to a map that shows the direct contacts along with phone numbers (except one) for all the Skywarn Coordinators for GA.  But certainly, if they are not answering your emails, you should just call them directly.

http://www.stormready.noaa.gov/stormmaps/ga-cwa.htm

Offline p3aul

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:54 AM »
I have called and left a message but no one called back :(

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:50:03 AM »
Regarding the spotter id, not sure if this is only my area, or if it's a practice other regions are or will be following as well. They no longer issue spotter id's. Seems they made that change shortly after they sent mine. Again, this may only be Raleigh Skywarn but just thought I'd share.

NWS Raleigh spotter ID numbers

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:  NWS Raleigh has discontinued the issuance of, and use of spotter ID numbers.   When making storm reports to the NWS Raleigh, please do not include a spotter ID number; instead, simply provide your name, location, details pertaining to the severe weather or damage, and contact information.  Spotters who wish to obtain some sort of identification number are encouraged to consider becoming a CoCoRaHS observer to supplement their SKYWARN service.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »

I don't know what you're trying to do, but you don't need to write or call anyone, let alone any Ham radio group.  Keep an eye on your local National Weather Service Forecast Office web page.  When classes are announced and scheduled, there will be a place to register.  Nothing more to it than that.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
WFO FFC, Peachtree, GA:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=skywarn

For some reason, they seem to do things different there and list personal, non-government contacts:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/skywarn/

Not smart at all.

But then I see this also that tells me their thinking is a bit, ummmm, different there:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=anreports

Not sure that's an office I would trust the judgement of.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
Regarding the spotter id, not sure if this is only my area, or if it's a practice other regions are or will be following as well. They no longer issue spotter id's. Seems they made that change shortly after they sent mine. Again, this may only be Raleigh Skywarn but just thought I'd share.

NWS Raleigh spotter ID numbers

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:  NWS Raleigh has discontinued the issuance of, and use of spotter ID numbers.   When making storm reports to the NWS Raleigh, please do not include a spotter ID number; instead, simply provide your name, location, details pertaining to the severe weather or damage, and contact information.  Spotters who wish to obtain some sort of identification number are encouraged to consider becoming a CoCoRaHS observer to supplement their SKYWARN service.
Indeed. I just called my WFO and he said numbers are no longer used. Thanks for the info.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
It's been a few years since I went.  Looks like they're changing things.  Most of the 'class information' is on the web to begin with.  I wonder when/if they'll drop the classes altogether?  It already looks like things are a lot less formal.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »

Which WFO are you trying to reach? 

It seems that each WFO does things differently.  I haven't seen a Skywarn training schedule from my WFO for a very long time.  They used to have regular training schedules set up every year until the budget cutbacks and now, nothing.  Other WFO's like STO have all the training and testing online.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »

Other WFO's like STO have all the training and testing online.

His local should be FFC and some of the materials are at the bottom of the page on the first link above.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
FWIW, I went through the training in 2004, and was not a ham.  They gave out phone numbers to call in observations, which have since been replaced by email and web forms.

You might want to consider getting your ham license anyway.  It costs $15 or so to take the test, and the entire question pool with answers is available online for studying beforehand.  The basic Technician license will get you on the air on the VHF/UHF frequencies used by most SKYWARN and other organizations, and an entry-level $35 walkie talkie is readily available at Amazon.  A co-worker showed me a sample test last fall, which I passed with room to spare without even studying or reading a book.  I took the exam the very next day, and scored 34 out of 35.  The ARRL and FCC have watered down the process so much that anyone can pass the Technician test.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »

His local should be FFC and some of the materials are at the bottom of the page on the first link above.

If you look at the map, not all counties in GA are covered by FFC especially if he lives in eastern or southern GA.  So, we really need to know what county he is in and if he is trying to reach the right WFO to begin with.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »

If you look at the map, not all counties in GA are covered by FFC especially if he lives in eastern or southern GA.  So, we really need to know what county he is in and if he is trying to reach the right WFO to begin with.

Profile shows Warner Robins, GA which is the radar site location for FFC, Peachtree City.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
^ Oh, okay.  That's easy then.  Since they already have the schedule posted, he should only need to just show up for whatever class is in his county.

Offline p3aul

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »
Harry, That's what I think I'll do; just show up. It does seem sort of rude that they won't answer my emails or phone calls though,

I used to be a Ham, but I let my license expire when cell phones came out and gear became outrageously expensive. I can't afford  even 2 meter radios anymore and haven't seen that much of a change in income either. It's not that.

anything