Author Topic: Building my own solar radiation shield for temperature & humidity sensor  (Read 3097 times)

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

You wondered about why trees and sensors potentially do not belong together, I supplied the article, be it right, wrong, or indifferent. There are very few PWS owners who "have it all". Considering your situation, you're lucky to have what you have.

I didn't wonder anything. You stepped in and supplied an article which I think contradicts itself. When pertaining to humidity and moisture from plants and trees as things that should be avoided by at least a distance of 50', the author then states make sure your humidity sensor is mounted at least 5' above grass. Last I knew grass is a plant/vegetation which takes on moisture... and a whole lot of it. I end my discussion with you here and now.
La Crosse Technology S84060 *Currently on WU*
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
 [tup]

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
The idea behind official standards for mounting is to get objective data uninfluenced by local geographic variables.

Just realize that your temp data will only be accurate for what is happening under those trees regardless of how effective the radiation shield performs.

Too bad you can't set up the temp sensor with shield somewhere in full sun and another one under the trees to compare. That would be an interesting study.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
The tree will cause the thermometer to read a little low in the day, and warm at night. Also the humidity will be higher under a tree all the time compared to an open skyline, which is where you are technically supposed to mount an air sensor. We all do the best we can, and if this is what you have, then you do what you have to. It is definitely better than against the building.

The shield looks like a really good build to me. I made one myself also, but the plastic was brittle like yours, and the last hurricane beat it up some, but I still use it.

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

The tree will cause the thermometer to read a little low in the day, and warm at night. Also the humidity will be higher under a tree all the time compared to an open skyline, which is where you are technically supposed to mount an air sensor. We all do the best we can, and if this is what you have, then you do what you have to. It is definitely better than against the building.

The shield looks like a really good build to me. I made one myself also, but the plastic was brittle like yours, and the last hurricane beat it up some, but I still use it.

Thank you. I am happy with the build. It's very tough plastic...not brittle at all. But it WAS difficult to cut the square openings out with the sabre saw. The temps it's recording look pretty much spot on to me. The humidity readings have been too when compared to neighboring weather stations on WU...so I'm not really seeing a difference. I didn't want to mount it on the side of the buidling or even close to it. There is a NYS Mesonet weather station located just 2.9 miles from me. It sits on a higher elevation and was built in a wide open field...it's where I launch all my model rockets BTW  ;) It's elevation is at 1,089 feet. Mine is at 843 feet. I use it all the time to compare my readings and my weather station is very close to this one most of the time on readings.

Here's a link to the weather station site: http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#?stid=CHES

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:49:06 PM by AdkManUpstateNY »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Glad you found someone who's word you can trust.

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

Please read my above post  ;)
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster

Ummm, what??

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

Ummm, what??

From my post above:

The temps it's recording look pretty much spot on to me. The humidity readings have been too when compared to neighboring weather stations on WU...so I'm not really seeing a difference. I didn't want to mount it on the side of the buidling or even close to it. There is a NYS Mesonet weather station located just 2.9 miles from me. It sits on a higher elevation and was built in a wide open field...it's where I launch all my model rockets BTW  ;) It's elevation is at 1,089 feet. Mine is at 843 feet. I use it all the time to compare my readings and my weather station is very close to this one most of the time on readings.

AcuRite 00386SDI