Author Topic: Can I use a wireless router???  (Read 2746 times)

Offline SmokeyDoe

Can I use a wireless router???
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »
New here... so forgive me if this is posted somewhere, but I had no luck searching for answers....

So here's my issue. I recently purchased a WMR200. I orgiginally had no intentions of hooking it up to the computer, but I've since decided I'd REALLY like to so that I can post it on Weather Underground and check the station from work/away from home. However, I very seldom sit in the computer room so I don't want my weather station continually plugged into the computer via USB as I'd never hardly look at it then (the WMR200 is in the kitchen now, and check it prob every time I walk by!).

I'm not interested in purchasing a Meteohub or anything (with the exchange rate, shipping, duty etc it'd cost a small fortune). So I'm wondering if it would be possible to connect the station to a wireless router, like what I could buy from a computer supply store, and have the console transmit data directly to the computer. If this is possible, I could purchase everthing I needed for under $100 (rather than some $250+ US). My other option would be to buy a 2nd console and leave it connected to the computer... but again, that's about $230 US. I tried asking Oregon Scientific if it would be possible to do such a setup but they just keep giving me the blanket answer of "We don't sell any such equipment".

So if anyone had tried this method, successful or not, I'd REALLY like to hear about it.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Can I use a wireless router???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:53 AM »
What do you check on your console every time you walk by?  Outdoor temp, barometer?

Here is a cheap solution.  Get a wmr100 console for $59.  Its  compatible with your sensors.  But its not very good with pc's (from what I have read from other owners, in fact one wmr100 owner ended up buying a 200 console to solve his upload issues, Killwilly?).   Put the 100 in your kitchen for viewing basic sensor data, then put the 200 in your computer room.  The 100 even comes with VWS basic (when bot at ambient), so you can upgrade to Internet version and get on WU, a personal website... WFU, etc..

That should meet your needs, and is a much cheaper solution.

Andrew

ps: in answer to your original question, no a wireless router will not help you. 

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
SmokeyDoe, Andrew is correct about one thing, you could have a 100 in your kitchen as a standalone and then have a 200 connected to the computer in another room (my setup exactly). The 100 and 200 share the same sensors. He is wrong about one thing, I didn't buy the 200, Oregon Scientific UK gave it to me following dozens of emails complaining about the problem I was having connecting to the computer.

That is the reason I only have one set of sensors, they gave me just the console.   #-o

Alan.
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »
Alan,
Score one for you.  I thinkyou are the only person in history to get a response from OS, let alone a free upgrade. Nicely done.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »
Alan,
Score one for you.  I thinkyou are the only person in history to get a response from OS, let alone a free upgrade. Nicely done.

Andrew

The following is a long story, but here is the summary:  I received a reply from OS about my THGR968. It had went bad, and last summer I called them about it.  It sounded like a teenager reading off of a prepared sheet.  They gave me some steps to take (mostly designed to have me call back the next day and get another person).  However, this past December, I got an email from their tech support department and I got the impression they were revamping their procedures.  I could have gotten a new THGR968 if I would send them the receipt (it was a christmas present so I don't have that) when and where purchased, and basically my life history.  So I guess it's an improvement, but it's still not good.

I got the THGR122NX temp/rh sensor and it is working flawlessly.  It is battery operated, though.  If they would include this sensor hooked up ts a solar sensor/transmitter, and add a usb cable to the 968 station, it would be nearly perfect.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
Alan,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I have found OS UK to be very helpful, providing you approach the right person. I have done better if I contact 'sales' and not their service department. I am now on first name terms with the sales manager.   :-)

Alan
Alan