Author Topic: Newbie needs definition help  (Read 732 times)

Offline Oregon

Newbie needs definition help
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
Somewhat new to this weather thing. Recently got the WS-2902A. Got it set on a pole, everything working good with connection to tablet and phone. Soooo, now learning all about it. One thing I haven't been able to discover so far is what does the "Light" reading mean? I understand the UV but not the light reading next to it. Any help or sugggestions appreciated.
Remember everyone is good at something....I just happen to be a good bad example.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Newbie needs definition help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
It is a measure of the light or rather radiation (more than visible light spectrum) expressed as a unit of power given in Watts per meter squared (W/m^2).
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Oregon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
okay, that's the measurment involved but what does that tell me?
It's really bright outside, it's getting dark? The number is 45.1 currently as I watch it and it goes up or down (i'm guessing most likely down this time of day) is that the amount (brightness) of light currently outside?
Don't mean to be too dense but this is new to me. I appreciate the help.
Remember everyone is good at something....I just happen to be a good bad example.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
It tells you how sunny or overcast/cloudy it is. The angle of the sun also affects the measurement, so you get higher readings in the Summer. If you generate power for your home with solar panels it can give you an idea of how much power you can generate. If you grow plants or water your lawn it can affect growth rate or other things like calculating evapotranspiration rate. If you are a photographer outdoors it can give you an idea for what lens to use, supplemental lighting needs, or filters and what exposure level settings may yield better results. Really the purposes can be endless depending on what you do and how you want it to help you do that better with more information.

Tele-Pole

Offline Oregon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
Great info, thank you very much I appreciate all the help.
Now let's see what other trouble I can get into. :)

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
While we’re on definitions, how does AW define a rainfall “event”? I had 0.14” rain late Thursday. Daily total reset and I had a total for Friday, but also an event total that had the 0.14” from Thursday night added. There were breaks in the rainfall Friday, so not quite sure what the event is supposed to indicate.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »
From this knowledge base article:
https://ambientweather.net/help/rain-increment-definitions/

Rain Increment Definitions
Your weather station may only display some of the following increments of rain. Please refer to your User Manual for details. Here are how increments of rain are defined:

Rain Rate is defined as the rainfall in the last 10 minutes, multiplied by 6  (10 minutes x 6 = 1 hour). This is also referred to as instantaneous rain per hour.
Hourly Rain is defined as the rainfall in the last hour.
Rain event is defined as continuous rain, and resets to zero if rainfall accumulation is less than 1 mm (0.039 in) in a 24 hour period. Some weather stations may calculate this slightly differently and the customer should reference the User Manual.
Daily Rain is defined as the rainfall since midnight (00:00).
24 Hour Rain is defined as the rainfall in the last 24 hours. For example, if it is currently 5:00 pm, 24 hour rain would be the amount of rain that has fallen since 5:00 pm yesterday.
Weekly Rain is defined as the calendar week total, and resets on Sunday morning at midnight (Sunday thru Saturday).
Monthly Rain is defined as the calendar month total, and resets on the first day of the Month.
Yearly Rain is defined as the calendar year total, and resets on the first day of the Year. The WS-1000 series weather stations allow you to change the month rain is reset to 0.00 (referred to as Rainfall Season).
Total Rain is defined as the running total since station was powered up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:41:40 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole