Author Topic: ACURITE 00825 battery life  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Gumbo

ACURITE 00825 battery life
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
I have had this little weather station for about 6 months now.  It works great and seem fairly accurite.  My only problem is battery life for the wind speed/direction sender.  The 2 AA lithium batteries only last 7-10 day now that temperature is low.  I'm thinking of building some kind of external battery pack that uses D cells in from a cheap flashlight.  Since there is no external power port, I'll have to drill a small hole for the wires.  Has anyone else done anything similar.  I'm getting too old to go up on the roof every week.
Thanks,
John

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: ACURITE 00825 battery life
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
Hey- a few questions,

How low is the temperature?
Are you getting full signal strength (4 bars) on your receiver display?

If you are getting intermittent signal loss (low bars, or no bars) It seems you may have a faulty RF transmitter that is transmitting all the time, which significantly shortens the battery life.

If that's the case, wiring up more power will only partially fix the issue, still will be shortened bettery life.
 2 "AA" lithium batteries should last at least  9 months to a year in that sensor.

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
Hi Rhino,

The temperature has been getting down around 20 F at night with daytime temperature mid 40s to 50.  Right now with with 7-day old lithiums I am getting 2 bars.  With new batteries I get 4 bars.  The first set of batteries lasted about 4 months, but the weather was much warmer.

John

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
Ok..one thing about the signal strength indicator- it does not technically give you the measured signal strength, like on a cell phone. Each signal bar represents a received RF data packet, so if you only have 2, that means you missed last two packets- it amounts to the same thing, you are either out of range/ edge of range from the transmitter or there is some sort of physical or electronic interference.

You may try switching the sensors and the receiver to a different channel (ABC switch located in battery compartments of each), look at your manual for more information on switching channels.

Battery power typically does not affect the signal transmission intermittently ( I.e., low battery power does NOT = low signal strength), unless alkalines are being used and are freezing up in very low temps overnight, and then warming up again, etc. Usually you will get the low battery indicator for up to a month in some cases, all the while you will still receive information from the sensor- again, unless temperatures are temporarily affecting battery output.

It seems you are definatley going through batteries quicker than normal. These sensor batteries will usually last 8 months to a year, depending on how often the wind is blowing the anemometer. Try changing the channel (abc switches), make sure and post your findings- let's see if we can figure this out.

Offline Gumbo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
I changed the batteries again today.  The lithium's lasted exactly 2 weeks this time.  The low battery indication only lasted about 12 hours before loss of signal.  I changed frequency and I am at 4 bars.  The unit seems to be updating about every 9 seconds.  The wind is almost always blowing some.