Author Topic: Hurricane Patrica  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Hurricane Patrica
« on: October 23, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Hurricane Patrica
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
scary....

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
I thought it was curious that TWC didn't have anyone there on the scene reporting on conditions.  I wonder if it was because it was outside the US or if it was because of budget cuts.  There were reports of over 15,000 tourists having to be evacuated or sheltering in place, so Americans were affected.

Anyone else think about it that way?   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »
Well the airports closed early.  But probably because it was outside the US>
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
19 to 20 inches is incomprehensible.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
Apologies... accidentally posted what Greg refers to the wrong thread...it's here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=27472.msg267405;topicseen#msg267405... old age, I suppose...  ](*,)
Mike
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:59:24 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 12:32:49 AM »
Some good news...

Only a day after menacing Mexico as one of history's strongest storms, Hurricane Patricia left surprisingly little damage in its wake Saturday and quickly dissipated into an ordinary low-pressure system that that posed little threat beyond heavy rain. The hurricane's most powerful punch hit a sparsely populated stretch of Mexico's Pacific Coast before the system crashed into mountains that sapped its potentially catastrophic force. The popular beach city of Puerto Vallarta and the port of Manzanillo were spared the brunt of the violent weather. There were no reports of deaths or injuries, said Roberto Lopez Lara, interior secretary for the state of Jalisco. It was a remarkable outcome, considering that Patricia had been a Category 5 hurricane with winds up to 200 mph (325 kph) before it came ashore with slightly less power in an area dotted with a few upscale hotels. Hours later, as the storm spun inland, it collapsed into fast-moving bands of rain aimed at already sodden Texas.

Rest of article: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_update_read&edis_id=TC-20151024-50631-MEX&uid=16918

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
I've heard talk also that due to the rapid speed at which it came ashore and has moved inland, it didn't hang around long enough to dump more rain and winds. That makes sense as the longer it sits around, the wetter the ground gets and trees start toppling over due to the saturated soil.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything