Author Topic: Is LAMP worth the trouble?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Is LAMP worth the trouble?
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Getting my RPi all sorted and I was wondering if  I really need to install LAMP or equivalent?  MySQL of course, but for a one shot deal is the extra overhead of phpmyadmin, NGINX etc. really worth the hassle and disk space?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Is LAMP worth the trouble?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
For me it depends on how "isolated" the installation will be. 

If it has fast and easy access to the Internet, then I'll just stick with the default Raspian install and add other items as necessary.

If Internet access will be slow, iffy, or infrequent, then I'll load up everything and the kitchen sink "just in case".

I haven't run into any storage space, RAM, or performance issues that force me to economize, though. 

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
Are you going to be running a web server or any software that needs the full LAMP install?  If not, security best practice is to not install anything that you do not need to decrease your attack surface.  Phpmyadmin is a frequent target for hackers, and personally I use MySQL from the console except for rare occasions when I open up OpenOffice Database and edit tables via ODBC.

Are you still allowed to call it LAMP when using NGINX in place of Apache?????  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  It will be a wx station only and only uploading to WU or access by SSH by me so I might try a full install.  Am going to use a 16 gb nano USB stick as the backup internally on the Pi, too.  As for the acronym, I guess NGINX  doesn't really create a decent English word.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
As for the acronym, I guess NGINX  doesn't really create a decent English word.  :)

I coined a term for the Microsoft alternative.  WIMP = Windows, IIS, MS-SQL, and Please god don't let it get hacked.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:30 PM »
Cruel, but funny.  And sadly too true...

anything