Author Topic: VP2 or...?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline danb35

VP2 or...?
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
I've been running an Ambient WS-2095 for about two years, connected to a Raspberry Pi running WeeWX to webify my data.  It's worked adequately, if with somewhat questionable accuracy (at least partially due to siting choices), but I'm feeling ready for an upgrade.  I've largely sold myself on the VP2 (or possibly VP2+, haven't decided if I really want solar/UV) with the 24 hr FARS, along with the BelfryBoy logger to get the data into the computer.

Are there any other recommendations in a similar price range?  There's a bit not to like about Davis (like that their console design is stuck in the '80s, and their user-hostile treatment of data loggers), but they seem, by reputation, to be mature, well-engineered products.  The Acurite Atlas Elite looks intriguing, but since it's currently vaporware, there's no hands-on experience to compare.  Anything else I should be looking at?

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: VP2 or...?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
Definitely do the upgrade at initial purchase if you want the VP2+...adding on the sensors is $$$. (I won't mention how I know this!  ](*,) )

Regarding the UV and Solar sensors, if I had it to do over again I wouldn't worry with the UV sensor...*most* intelligent people can tells when the sun is bearing down on them and they need to use sunscreen, find a shade, where a wide-brim hat, etc.,.  The solar sensor, though, is useful in solar energy usage, crop watering schedules, hours of daylight, gardening, etc.,.  And, the solar sensor is a good bit cheaper than the UV.  It's nice to see the data for the UV on the website/screen, but in hindsight it's not *that* nice. ;)

Best wishes on your new station quest.  I don't think you would be disappointed in the Davis unit.  Mine has been up and running for a little over four years now...the biggest issue that I've had is with the anemometer sticking.  I've got a new part to install to fix that...if I ever get around to it.  The ISS is still running on the original battery.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline danb35

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
Thanks.  I don't know that I have a specific need for either the solar or the UV, other than that I think it'd be interesting to know.  But the cost delta is fairly significant, especially to add UV.  Decisions, decisions.

I'm thinking I'll end up mounting the ISS at ground level and, at a later time, moving the anemometer to the roof using a 6332 unit.  Am I reading the Davis web site correctly that, when used with the VP2 system, I would not be able to use the UV/solar sensors with that 6332 unit at the same time?

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
Thanks.  I don't know that I have a specific need for either the solar or the UV, other than that I think it'd be interesting to know.  But the cost delta is fairly significant, especially to add UV.  Decisions, decisions.

I'm thinking I'll end up mounting the ISS at ground level and, at a later time, moving the anemometer to the roof using a 6332 unit.  Am I reading the Davis web site correctly that, when used with the VP2 system, I would not be able to use the UV/solar sensors with that 6332 unit at the same time?
Like I said, I find the solar to be more useful than the UV sensor and is much less expensive.   I don't know what to tell you about the sensors conflicting with the 6332 unit (I'm taking it that's the wireless transmitter option for the anemometer?). 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
The 6332 will transmit Solar/UV (along with any other input signal, like Rain and T/H). Unfortunately, this is a console issue (OK, and regular Envoy). Solar and UV can only be read from an "ISS" as set in the console. It will ignore the Solar/UV if it is from the 6332. I went through this issue myself several years ago. I was forced to run an 85 foot cable from the solar sensor to the ISS, despite having the solar sensor being mounted close to the 6332. (for my current configuration, Sol/UV are back on the ISS)

All "SIM" (Sensor Interface Modules) whether the hinged-door or sliding cover enclosure types are the same. The label might indicate a Temp/Hum station, Temp station, Anemometer transmitter, etc. but they are all capable of sending data from the associated connector inputs. (RAIN, T/H, WIND, SOL, UV). I have a "Temperature Station" configured as an anemometer transmitter, and an "Anemometer Transmitter" set up as a rain station and temperature sensor. (this required the Meteobridge Pro for the "rain station".)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
The 6332 will transmit Solar/UV (along with any other input signal, like Rain and T/H). Unfortunately, this is a console issue (OK, and regular Envoy). Solar and UV can only be read from an "ISS" as set in the console. It will ignore the Solar/UV if it is from the 6332.
See my post a few mins ago... https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32453.msg327698#msg327698
Mark

Offline danb35

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the input; I just went ahead and ordered a VP2 with the 24-hr FARS from Ryan at Scaled Instruments.  I may add the solar later, but for now I'll go with the standard system.  Also ordered a BelfryBoy logger, and am building up a WeeWx install on a clean Raspberry Pi.  Looking forward to the new toys...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
I just went ahead and ordered a VP2 with the 24-hr FARS from Ryan at Scaled Instruments.
Good deal. Did you get it with the SHT31? I have no idea if any 11's are even left.

Offline danb35

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
Ryan says it will have the SHT31.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »
Ryan says it will have the SHT31.
Hope you enjoy your new found accuracy, as you're probably in for a nice surprise compared to what you had. Just make sure you site it as best you can!

Offline danb35

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
Siting is going to be a bit of an issue--I should be good for temp/hum, OK for rain, not so good for wind right now.  Hence the discussion of the 6332, which will probably come later.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
Siting is going to be a bit of an issue--I should be good for temp/hum, OK for rain, not so good for wind right now.  Hence the discussion of the 6332, which will probably come later.
Hey, join the crowd, anny placement is just about everybody's achilles heel, almost a given. No idea if your old PWS was aspirated, but with this 31 and a fan, siting is pretty much paramount for good data.

Offline danb35

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »
Nope, no aspiration on the old one, and mounted up on the roof.  New one will be about 5' off the ground over the lawn.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »
Nope, no aspiration on the old one, and mounted up on the roof.  New one will be about 5' off the ground over the lawn.
OMG, you'll think you're in an ice age.....Nice!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 01:58:28 AM »
Also ordered a BelfryBoy logger, and am building up a WeeWx install on a clean Raspberry Pi.  Looking forward to the new toys...
Thanks for your order, I will be assembling this tonight when I get in from work, and hope to get it shipped Friday lunchtime. Shipping should take 7-10 days.

Offline danb35

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
I doubt I'll feel that way in summertime in coastal GA, but I know the 100+-degree temps I'm seeing lately just aren't right, and I don't think the humidity's very close either.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
I doubt I'll feel that way in summertime in coastal GA, but I know the 100+-degree temps I'm seeing lately just aren't right, and I don't think the humidity's very close either.

What he's getting at is when you have the 24 hr FARS with a 31, it will be as close to the ambient temperature as you can get (which means much cooler and much more accurate than your old station). Also, with the 31/aspiration, you will notice your temperature fluctuate alot more. You're in for a roller coaster ride! Basically your intended mounting spot in your yard (above grass) is the best possible siting. I am to your NW in N GA (Cumming) and also have the 31 with an AC fan about 5'5 above grass. It's almost the best possible setup and my readings are top-notch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:01:47 PM by WxLover16 »
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline danb35

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
What he's getting at is when you have the 24 hr FARS with a 31, it will be as close to the ambient temperature as you can get (which means much cooler and much more accurate than your old station).
I understood that, but was trying for a little levity--which apparently didn't work too well.  Yes, I expect the readings to be a good bit cooler.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
What he's getting at is when you have the 24 hr FARS with a 31, it will be as close to the ambient temperature as you can get (which means much cooler and much more accurate than your old station).
I understood that, but was trying for a little levity--which apparently didn't work too well.  Yes, I expect the readings to be a good bit cooler.

But most importantly, they will be very accurate and fast responding, which is what is awesome about the 31 with aspiration. What is your temp/humidity showing? I'm at 76.5 with 98% humidity. Rough stuff.

Offline danb35

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Current temp is 85 deg, 41% humidity.  High temp today was 100 (vs. a 92 degree forecast), high humidity was 89%.  Not at the same time, though.  Supposedly humidity was at 22% around noon, which I also have trouble believing.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
I understood that, but was trying for a little levity--which apparently didn't work too well. 
It worked fine. ;)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »
Current temp is 85 deg, 41% humidity.  High temp today was 100 (vs. a 92 degree forecast), high humidity was 89%.  Not at the same time, though.  Supposedly humidity was at 22% around noon, which I also have trouble believing.

Yep, DEFINITELY time for an upgrade. In comparison, my lowest humidity today was 60% and high temp was 89.9. You will definitely see a vast improvement in quality of data with your new 31  ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:24:42 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline danb35

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
Yep, ordered from Scaled.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Yep, ordered from Scaled.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Tomorrow would be like Christmas morning if I were you  :lol: Hopefully you can set it up rain-free. GL and enjoy!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »
Supposedly humidity was at 22% around noon, which I also have trouble believing.
Certainly (your roof placement aside) one of the things that I've noticed about lesser sensors and PWS's (et al) is not their ability to read the temp fairly accurately, is their lack of doing it humidity wise. You may have trouble believing in your VP2... ;)