Author Topic: Vantage Vue Forecast Icons  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Brian

Vantage Vue Forecast Icons
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »
I have had my V/Vue for just on three years and am very pleased with the device with one exception and that is the erroneous Forecast Icons just below the Lunar display.

During this period I have observed that even when the sun has been shining and not a cloud in sight - that the sun is almost completely obscured by a cloud.   AND today for example we have had some light rain preceeding an intensive cold front approaching - and the Sun Icon is shining in all it's glory (and yet outside we have 8/8 cloud cover and some precipitation).

I have particularly noticed the Umbrella Icon is showing at the same time as the Sun Icon.

I do not know if an software upgrade is warranted - as this was done at the Australia agent five months ago. 

Brian

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
Re: Vantage Vue Forecast Icons
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:32 PM »
The forecast icon is a graphic representation of the forecast, not of current conditions.
The console forecast is quite basic and "The forecast icons show what weather conditions may occur within the next 12 hours" to quote the VUE Manual.

The umbrella icon should only appear when is rain is actually falling. Again to quote the manual "the umbrella icon appears when two tips of the rain spoon have occurred within a 15 minute period."

Is this consistent with what you see on the Console?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »
I have had my V/Vue for just on three years and am very pleased with the device with one exception and that is the erroneous Forecast Icons just below the Lunar display.

During this period I have observed that even when the sun has been shining and not a cloud in sight - that the sun is almost completely obscured by a cloud.   AND today for example we have had some light rain preceeding an intensive cold front approaching - and the Sun Icon is shining in all it's glory (and yet outside we have 8/8 cloud cover and some precipitation).

I have particularly noticed the Umbrella Icon is showing at the same time as the Sun Icon.

I do not know if an software upgrade is warranted - as this was done at the Australia agent five months ago. 

Brian
I'm a VP2, not Vue owner, but if they have similarities in their forecast, then forget it. BY FAR, the worst aspect of my Davis setup is the forecasting. It may differ in other parts of the world, but here in southern Arizona, it's all but worthless.

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »
Yes the VUE forecast is as unreliable as the VP2 forecast!
to quote the Manual ( Downloaded Revk VP2)
"Your console generates a weather forecast based on the barometric reading & trend,
wind speed & direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity, latitude & longitude, and time
of year. Included in the forecast is a prediction of the sky condition (sunny, cloudy, etc.)
and changes in precipitation, temperature, wind direction or wind speed."

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
I wouldn't put any more credence into the Davis or any other "weather station" forecasts than I would the "Rain, Change, Fair" on analog barometers. Well, maybe a little more, but not much. Maybe the Farmers Almanac should be consulted instead....  :lol:

I removed the VP2 forecast from my Saratoga-Scripts based forecast appearing below the NWS forecast on my website. Once I had a direct serious contradiction and decided the VP2 forecast had to go.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
I'm a VP2, not Vue owner, but if they have similarities in their forecast, then forget it. BY FAR, the worst aspect of my Davis setup is the forecasting. It may differ in other parts of the world, but here in southern Arizona, it's all but worthless.

I thought your forecast was sunny and hot at least 360 days a year!   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »

I thought your forecast was sunny and hot at least 360 days a year!   #-o
That's the problem, if it ain't sunny, it don't know what to say! :roll:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
Bryan a new firmware is supposedly coming out soon, according to another member who recently purchased the Vue with version 4.XX , Davis told him firmware will be available for all soon. I would wait on the new version, if not your wind speed may be off, I don't trust version 3.00, from testing I've performed.
Randy