Author Topic: Acurite 5-in-1 PRO+ Mount in Massachusetts  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Kaelon

• Kaelon
Acurite 5-in-1 PRO+ Mount in Massachusetts
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Last weekend, I mounted my first weather system, an Acurite 5-in-1 PRO+ Dual Solar Array, onto the top of my 11 foot children's swingset in the middle of the forest of my backyard in the South Shore of Massachusetts.  I'm generally interested in getting it up a bit higher, so I'd love your suggestions and recommendations for how I can do this (maybe using PVC? how would you go about doing it?).  Even so, as you can see by my Weather Station's history so far on WU, it's getting solid readings:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMAMARSH119

What do all of you think?  Loving this new hobby!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
Re: Acurite 5-in-1 PRO+ Mount in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
Nice, wind readings are going to be a bit wonky though I think.

What's that white stuff all over?   :twisted:
/s
Only got to 78°F here today, 90+ mañana.

Offline Kaelon

• Kaelon
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »

/s

Yes!  Not sure I have many options here as I have around 100-foot pines all over my house and acreage. I was  thinking maybe another 10-20 feet of PVC might help stabilize, but I'm sort of at a loss as to how to do this.

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »

/s

Yes!  Not sure I have many options here as I have around 100-foot pines all over my house and acreage. I was  thinking maybe another 10-20 feet of PVC might help stabilize, but I'm sort of at a loss as to how to do this.

PVC pipe is far too soft and flexible to be worthwhile mast. For shorter masts, say 5' or less, Go to any Home Depot, Lowes or similar and buy 3/4" galvanized pipe. They have it all different lengths, buy whatever length suits you. It's threaded at both ends. You can then buy a 3/4" pipe flange and then you can screw that base down to any solid surface and you will have a solid mounting mast.

For anything taller you will want to go with something larger in diameter and then adapt it down smaller at the top to mount your station. Do you have a fence on your property you can attach any type of mast to?

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »

Or you can buy one pvc and fill it up with concrete or some heavy material to help the strength... ](*,)

nice station man, I will save in my favorites...

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »

Or you can buy one pvc and fill it up with concrete or some heavy material to help the strength... ](*,)

Their would be no advantage to doing this over buying a piece of steel conduit. The only thing that will be accomplished by putting cement inside a piece of PVC is you will spend a lot of time and effort funneling cement in to a small tube with the end result being a super heavy (weight wise, not strength) mast that will need an even stronger anchor point and will be less rigid then a steel tube or conduit. un-reinforced concrete in such a narrow column will have little to no tensile strength.

1" PVC costs about $3.00 for a 10' length. A bag of Quikrete is about $4.00. 1" EMT Costs about $7.00 for a 10' length. So their is not even a worthwhile financial reason to attempt such a thing.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »

yah, here where I live the first option would be better for us, I didn´t realize that the cost were so high in US... :roll:

anything