Author Topic: Testing..........Opinions wanted  (Read 7115 times)

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Testing..........Opinions wanted
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Well I finally got around to setting up the new network camera. It's a 4XEM wireles PTZ. Right now it's running in wireless mode but it can be wired as well. It is sitting inside looking out through a window underneath my front porch so the image may be a little dark. Still trying to decide where to mount it.

You can get to the camera here. It will ask you to run active x which is a drawback I am still trying to work around. When it asks you for a user name type guest and hit enter. No password.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Re: Testing..........Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
I have been researching cameras lately and yours is one of the easiest to use, most responsive applications I have seen.  Very nice.  This is running wireless?  That is impressive.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:10 PM »
It will ask you to run active x which is a drawback I am still trying to work around. When it asks you for a user name type guest and hit enter. No password.

Good luck... that's the biggest drawback I've found with network cameras... I'd say maybe 80-90% require ActiveX, which of course limits your browser choice. Very few will also let you use some kind of JPEG streaming... the Dlink DCS900 is one of them, and the now defunct Veo Observer also. Even in the Dlink line, most require ActiveX... and almost all of the Linksys require ActiveX...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline tbweather

• Contributor
    • Tawas Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:11:08 PM »
So how do your neighbors feel about people looking into their messy garage or watching them take out the trash without their shirt on (not a pretty sight). Actually, very good quality image and the control is quite responsive.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 11:13:55 PM »
Good image but the Active X has to go.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »
I agree the Active X needs to go. It prevents anyone not using IE from viewing the camera. The folks at 4XEM are pretty sure they have a way around it for me. Their tech support is right up there with Davis. You call, they actually answer the phone, and they help. If they don't know the answer they will find out and call you back. I was rather impressed to say the least.

As for the neighbors, I have none that you'd want to look at unless you're into senior citizens. :shock:

Today I'm going to put it on the back side of the house where my old one was so I can avoid the afternoon sun. It will probably end up in a dome on the roof facing the southwest so you can watch the storms roll in during tornado season in the spring.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:37:27 AM by NoQuitters »

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:21:13 AM »
Tried the link you have posted in your first message and it is not working.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »
Try it again Anthony. I had the camera off last night. Something about it being in the living room bothered the wife. :lol:

It's on again on the back side of the house. You can watch the squirrels, my Davis VP2, cars going by, etc.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
I agree the Active X needs to go. It prevents anyone not using IE from viewing the camera. The folks at 4XEM are pretty sure they have a way around it for me.

They'll probably come up with some kind of java code (that will push jpeg images out) that you can put into a webpage--but I'll bet the camera itself cannot be accessed "live" with user control without ActiveX and IE...

That's why my first most important criteria for selecting a camera was that it not require ActiveX... too limiting for the outside world... but they are really tough to find...

Excellent image though...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Jiles111

• MyCams
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
I have cams similar to that. I have some code that will fetch jpgs continuously similar to the axis cameras. You cannot control the camera that way, but you can get images from it with a smooth refresh (no page refresh, just the image refresh). Let me know if you want it.

Shane

Offline Pinster56

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »

You can get to the camera here. It will ask you to run active x which is a drawback I am still trying to work around. When it asks you for a user name type guest and hit enter. No password.

The camera shows no picture when I log on. Could it be because I am viewing it from a MAC?

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »

The camera shows no picture when I log on. Could it be because I am viewing it from a MAC?

Yep, that would be why. You need to be able to run ActiveX.

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »
I have cams similar to that. I have some code that will fetch jpgs continuously similar to the axis cameras. You cannot control the camera that way, but you can get images from it with a smooth refresh (no page refresh, just the image refresh). Let me know if you want it.

Shane

Thanks Shane, I would like to see the code. You can pm me here or email it to me at info@opweather.com

Drew

Offline Jiles111

• MyCams
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:57 PM »
Ok I sent you some PM's

Here is a link to the page with 1 second delays (log in as guest with no password) (IE only, but no ActiveX plugin download)

http://bow.dyndns.org/camtest.htm

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:58:04 AM by Jiles111 »

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
Well, I tried viewing the image 3 more times. Twice it apeared that it was dark outside. Bucause I could see what apeared to be streetlights. I tried viesing it just now and all I got was a white image.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Jiles111

• MyCams
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
It may be snowed out (I have one that is snowed out at the moment). That is not my camera, so I am not sure.

Shane

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
Disregard. Tried it this morning and got an image. I love playing with other peoples stuff. ;)

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything