Author Topic: AirCam doesn't connect reliably with Weather Underground  (Read 2198 times)

Offline petereric

• BellaVistaWeather
AirCam doesn't connect reliably with Weather Underground
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:06:31 AM »
After multiple attempts I’m unable to connect my AirCam images reliably to Weather Underground.  I have the following error message, which I don’t understand, nor am I able to correct:

Error:  Weather Underground Camera FTP upload failed:  Could not read reply from control connection –
timed out.  ncftpput_wucam: could not send file to remote host.

Several months ago I disconnected my Ubiquiti AirCam because it was in the way of my house roof construction.  It was working fine when I disconnected it with my Ambient Weather WeatherBridge.

Current status with Weather Underground and Meteobridge software :

Weather Underground toggles my weather cam between being active and not active.

Meteobridge software is: 2.5 build 5602 TL-MR3020

Meteobridge recognizes my AirCam under the Select Station tab:
Meteobridge Weather Cam, where Ubiquiti Cam has a green checkmark, an IP of 192.168.0.229 and Version 1.2 with the hidden password (which is ubnt)

Weather Underground Camera under the Weather Network tab toggles between red “X” mark next to Camera ID: and Password and a green check mark next to Camera ID: and Password:

Weather Network Status under the Live Data tab toggles between (no green checkmark: “Weather Underground Cam:  No weather network traffic” , red “X” mark “Weather Underground Cam: Error: Could not read reply from control connection – timed out” or green check mark “Weather Underground Cam: Success!”

Twice over the past week my webcam image did show up under Weather Underground.

Using the AirCam login, LiveData shows my image without any problem.  Maybe my image size exceeds the 105K size limit imposed by Weather Underground.  If that is the problem how do I limit the image size with the AirCam software (I don’t know how to do so even after reading the manual)?

How can I correct the Error messages?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: AirCam doesn't connect reliably with Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:34 AM »
Unfortunately, the weather cam service of WU is not extremely reliable. Often it works, sometimes not and some users are more affected than others. To rule out that Meteobridge is causing problems, you can tell WU to grab the images from an URL.
To provide this URL you can upload your web cam images to Meteobridge cam service (to be selected on weather network tab) and giving the URL presented there to WU to grab pictures itself from there.

Regarding WU weather cam uploads, there is a lot of discussion in the WU section of this forum.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline petereric

• BellaVistaWeather
Re: AirCam doesn't connect reliably with Weather Underground
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
Thank you for giving me a better understanding of the error message.  I will investigate Meteobridge cam service.