Author Topic: Connecting a WS 1002 WiFi to CWOP  (Read 649 times)

Offline Tunadriver

Connecting a WS 1002 WiFi to CWOP
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
   I have a new Ambient WS 1002 WiFi station. Is there any way I can have it report to CWOP directly from the data port via a router or from the instrument package via a logger. I had a Davis system which did that, but the sensor and radio elements were nothing but a maintenance headache. There is no documentation that the Ambient WeatherBridge will connect to the WS 1002. There is also an undocumented micro USB port on the console in addition to the SDcard port.
Stefan Berlinski
KCAMOSSL8
EW 4913

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Connecting a WS 1002 WiFi to CWOP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
Just follow one of the following methods listed in this other thread.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34922.0

The WeatherBridge will work if you get an ObserverIP. That is the official Ambient method. But using an ObserverIP can have some reliability issues. I recommend instead the WeatherBridge (Meteobridge) with the Ecowitt GW1000.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36772.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tunadriver

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. I wound up getting the Meteo/WeatherBridge and the Ecowitt GW1000. What they don't tell you is to configure the GW1000, it must be connected to the wifi on the phone as itself and not through the router. Then all seems to work. Turns out WU and Ambient don't accept the station from both the Ambient console and the GW1000. Have to pick one or the other or set up a separate station for each device. The Meteobridge tells me it is reporting to CWOP, but the data hasn't been showing up yet. The E4913 station was off line for a couple of weeks. Wonder if the administrators have to make it active again. Maybe I'll just wait a while. Thanks for your info and the answers you have provided in other parts of this forum.
Stefan Berlinski
KCAMOSSL8
EW 4913

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. I wound up getting the Meteo/WeatherBridge and the Ecowitt GW1000.

Glade to hear. Hope it does well for you.

What they don't tell you is to configure the GW1000, it must be connected to the wifi on the phone as itself and not through the router. Then all seems to work.

Not sure what you mean by configured through the router. Is that the Meteobridge device you are referring to as a router? Because it is, but not really acting as a router with Meteobridge software running. I've read the GW1000 manual and it does say that the USB is just used for power. The phone is used to configure the GW1000 to your WiFi network. But there is a PC tool that recently emerged so that you could do it with a computer instead.

Turns out WU and Ambient don't accept the station from both the Ambient console and the GW1000. Have to pick one or the other or set up a separate station for each device.

WU surely accepts data from both Ambient console and the GW1000 at the same time, but that is not good practice. Only send to one WU ID per console. The GW1000 can't send to Ambientweather.net because it is an Ecowitt branded device. The GW1000 can send to Ecowitt.net which is very similar to Ambientweather.net.

The Meteobridge tells me it is reporting to CWOP, but the data hasn't been showing up yet. The E4913 station was off line for a couple of weeks. Wonder if the administrators have to make it active again. Maybe I'll just wait a while.

Should show up right away in FindU. Be sure you entered into the Meteobridge EW4913 and not E4913.
Data should show up at this link as soon as the Meteobridge says it sent successfully.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=EW4913

Actually I can see that entering the wrong CWOP ID is your issue because I can see the data being sent to the wrong ID.

With CWOP there are no checks that you are sending to the proper ID. If the data is formatted correctly which the Meteobridge does for you it just goes and is successful, even though you may not have wanted the resulting outcome.

Thanks for your info and the answers you have provided in other parts of this forum.
You're welcome.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:20:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Tunadriver

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:52:39 PM »
 [tup]Changing E4913 to EW4913 fixed the CWOP upload. Thank you. I used the former as it is the Station ID which is called for in the instructions. EW is the call sign, not the ID. Who'd a thunk? As for configuring the GW1000 with the phone app, I had to connect with it by choosing the GW1000 as my wifi network on the phone. It could not be reached initially through the house network via the main router with my phone. Once configured, it reverted to and  allowed access through the home network/router. At this point, it disappeared from the list of wifi networks as a separate network. The MeteoBridge set up was very similar to WeatherSnoop. Just have to pick the right set of letters. Again, Thanks for your help.
Stefan Berlinski
KCAMOSSL8
EW 4913

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »
EW4913 is your CWOP ID not a call sign. Only hams have a call sign. But hams use their call sign as a CWOP ID. The E4913 is also an ID but that is only used for quality checking as that is the MADIS NWS ID. You also use the MADIS NWS ID when looking at your data through other NWS data sources.

See here is your CWOP ID prominently displayed and being used by CWOP.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=EW4913

See #6 here for more details.
http://www.wxqa.com/faq.html

6. Why do I have two IDs for CWOP? Actually, you have three IDs because there are three different databases involved. To reduce confusion, we've tried to make the IDs the same or similar where possible. The first database is the findu.com mySQL database of received weather packets. Ham radio stations use the callsign of the station, and CW/DW/EW/FW stations use CWxxxx, DWxxxx, EWxxxx or FWxxxx in the findu.com database. The second database is the MADIS set of netCDF files where the ID is called the NWS ID and is a maximum of 5 characters. Ham radio weather stations are identified by APxxx or ARxxx or ASxxx or ATxxx or AUxxx (two upper case letters followed by 3 numbers) and non-ham weather stations are identified by Cxxxx or Dxxxx or Exxxx (upper case C or D or E followed by 4 numbers). The MADIS netCDF files are used to send the data on to users and to store the quality checking information. The third database is the CWOP database. Ham stations have a Provider ID of apxxx or arxxx or asxxx or atxxx or auxxx (two lower case letters followed by 3 numbers) and non-ham weather stations have a Provider ID of CWxxxx or DWxxxx or EWxxxx or FWxxxx (2 upper case letters followed by 4 numbers). The key things to remember are that the ham callsign or CWxxxx or DWxxxx or EWxxxx or FWxxxx goes in with your data packet and is what you look for on findu.com while the quality checking results are identified by the five character NWS ID of APxxx or ARxxx or ASxxx or ATxxx or AUxxx or Cxxxx or Dxxxx or Exxxx. The members list provides the cross reference.

I can see how it is a bit confusing because CWOP in their URL code does use the "call" description. But that is because CWOP was built on top of APRS that was initially for hams.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:00:27 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything