Author Topic: VWS Shuts Down By Itself  (Read 2467 times)

Offline deweydewdrops

VWS Shuts Down By Itself
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
I am running VWS Internet version 15 P03.  Weather station is a Davis Vantage Vue using the Vantage Pro selection in VWS.  Computer running Windows 10 Pro.  Ver 10.0.1734, build 17134.  VWS is shutting down all by itself.  If I reboot the computer, I can get it running again, but within a few minutes, it just stops.  Then I can't get it running again unless I reboot the computer.  Again.  When I say it stops, I mean it shuts down.  Not just losing communication with the console.

I am using a USB/Serial adapter between the Davis console and the computer.  If there was something wrong with the serial connection, information from the console should just stop updating.  The VWS shouldn't just close by itself.  Or maybe it should.

I saw a recommendation to delete c:\vws\wininet.dll and restart the computer.  There is no wininet.dll in the vws folder.  I found 10 instances of it, but all are different versions, and all are in c:\windows folders.

There are no other instances of VWS running.  The serial port does not report any problems.  The Davis console is running perfectly.  It just doesn't connect with VWS.  Except for a few minutes on a computer restart.  I am stumped.

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
Re: VWS Shuts Down By Itself
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Is this new behavior or just recently started. Since Windows 10 is always loading updates it is possible you have a bad update installed. I would restore to a point in time when it worked and then disable windows update. And see what the update was that caused it to crash.

If it is not new behavior then you should look in the windows administration logs for the possible cause. If it is the same every crash then you have a starting point to look at.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline deweydewdrops

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
The problem turned out to be something in the USB port.  I moved the USB cable over one port, and the program has been working perfectly ever since.  No idea what the problem was.  When I looked at the ports in Device Manager, they all seems to be exactly the same.  Anyway, lesson learned, and thanks for the suggestions.

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:16 AM »
Sorry for the late reply but glad you found a solution.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar