Author Topic: Low Cost Lightning Detector  (Read 996 times)

Offline Fabius

• Ambient Weather station model 1201.
  • Undocumented Meteorologist.
    • Weather Station with Air Quality Readings
Low Cost Lightning Detector
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
I searched the forum for info on low cost lightning detector. Lots of information on Boltek lightning detectors but nothing on the low cost ones. Does a reliable low cost one exists? A search of eBay finds many low cost detectors. I see that AcuRite has a model 02020 Lightning Detector. I realize it is a very basic detector. But will it function as AcuRite claims? Is there a low cost one that will show what direction the strike is located?

AcuRite 02020 Lightning Detector
Undocumented Meteorologist.
La Porte, Indiana USA
Weather Station: https://tinyurl.com/uu4f9sa

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Low Cost Lightning Detector
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
In answer to your question, no.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
I searched the forum for info on low cost lightning detector. Lots of information on Boltek lightning detectors but nothing on the low cost ones. Does a reliable low cost one exists? A search of eBay finds many low cost detectors. I see that AcuRite has a model 02020 Lightning Detector. I realize it is a very basic detector. But will it function as AcuRite claims? Is there a low cost one that will show what direction the strike is located?

AcuRite 02020 Lightning Detector

As for a low-cost, always reliable, directional-capable lightning detector, you're not likely to find any; unless you build one for yourself.

RE: the Acurite 02020 model, I bought one a few months ago, partly for comparison with an external/outdoor one part of a PWS system, partly for portable use aboard my boat while cruising.
So far (haven't had a lot of lightning producing storms this 'winter'-- it's going for 80F today...) the 02020 does detect storm lightning fairly reliably, seems to get the distances and counts reasonably accurate (by crosschecking with web radar and lightning displays).
However, indoors, where I usually have it near my desk (with a ton of radio devices present), it does pick up a few false 'strikes'. Those false indications usually come from operating nearby room (wall-mounted) light switches of the old 'smooth operating' mercury type, and from some appliances; all at random- sometimes a pickup, sometimes not.
The 02020 also sometimes picks up false strikes from my smartphone (when close- 18-36"), when the phone begins an intense data-type operation, like starting up the WiFi (2.4GHz) 'hotspot', or beginning a download.
Is the Acurite portable 02020 lightning detector worth a few bucks (~$44)? If you're going to be using it outdoors (it does work reasonably well indoors), away from common household electrical interference, I'd say yes. Just think of it as an adjunct to your own (presumably accurate) weather senses, in that it will pick up lightning and storm indications that may be near the limit of your own eyes and ears, or attention keeping. Especially if you're doing activities like outdoor sports (boating, riding/walking/running, golf, etc) that occupies most of your attention.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
I searched the forum for info on low cost lightning detector.

What are you really looking for?  Something to carry around in your pocket?  Or something that is installed at your home/business?  Physical on wall display?  Or into a PC screen?

Offline Fabius

• Ambient Weather station model 1201.
  • Undocumented Meteorologist.
    • Weather Station with Air Quality Readings
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:00:04 PM »

What are you really looking for?  Something to carry around in your pocket?  Or something that is installed at your home/business?  Physical on wall display?  Or into a PC screen?
[/quote]

For home. Wall display would be good. I'd like to check out something that streams into a PC.
Undocumented Meteorologist.
La Porte, Indiana USA
Weather Station: https://tinyurl.com/uu4f9sa

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
Well, some of us got into this:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30474.0

Mine is working fine and when storms are close by, I can log in and view locations.  That one requires GoogleEarth as your local map display.  No wall console.

Otherwise I just go to lightningmaps.org and view the display from other sensors.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:22 AM »
Most (if not all) of the cheap consumer-grade lightning detectors on the market use the Franklin AS3935 lightning sensor chip.  Owning four devices using this chip and having them mounted in varying orientations all over the homestead, my experience is that this chip is NOT a scientific instrument and any range guesses it provides are somewhere between questionable and laughable during many storms.  I've had storms sneak by without triggering one of the four sensors, and personally would not use any device with this chip as a sole source of life-or-death alerting.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Online Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:54:06 AM »
Most (if not all) of the cheap consumer-grade lightning detectors on the market use the Franklin AS3935 lightning sensor chip.  Owning four devices using this chip and having them mounted in varying orientations all over the homestead, my experience is that this chip is NOT a scientific instrument and any range guesses it provides are somewhere between questionable and laughable during many storms.  I've had storms sneak by without triggering one of the four sensors, and personally would not use any device with this chip as a sole source of life-or-death alerting.....

Vreihen is correct on the Franklin AS3935 sensor chip. I am over 90% sure that is what is in the Acurite 02020 lightning detector. To get reliable lightning detection, you will have to look at Boltek or Blitzortung for that. There may be others out there that I am unaware of.

Using Boltek requires having a computer, whereas Blitzortung does not require a computer as it has its own built in webserver. Both require substantial setup time to get them oriented to your place, the types of electrical interference to deal with, etc.

With Boltek, some of your setup time will be dealing the NexStorm software in getting the software correct and making sure your have the antenna pointing to the north so its directional orientation is correct.

With Blizortung, there is a lot more to it. This isn't a plug and play system. Some assembly is required, mainly soldering and the building of the antennas for the system. There was a several month long backlog for folks waiting to get a System Blue.

If you are wanting to watch near realtime lightning without spending a fortune on it, do look at near realtime map of Blitzortung or LightningMaps.org.

John

GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything