Poll

What would you pay for an automated pollen counting device?

No thanks
1 (6.7%)
Less than $50
9 (60%)
Less than $500
4 (26.7%)
Less than $5000
1 (6.7%)
Wait, is this real? I'd pay whatever they charge
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: January 31, 2019, 09:05:26 PM

Author Topic: Pollen Sensor  (Read 2366 times)

Offline SneezeBreeze

Pollen Sensor
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
Working on something that might interest the community, just trying to gauge interest.

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
Re: Pollen Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
Sounds intriguing.  Can you provide any information?

-Chris

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »
We've developed the worlds first fully automated real time pollen counting device. Right now it retails for $8,000. That's probably out of the price range of most weather enthusiasts, but we do share revenue of data sales with device owners, so it will pay for itself eventually. People with weather stations are ideal users because they are already conditioned to do some occasional maintenance and they care about placement of sensors.

I've been wondering about what kind of price point would be interesting for future versions to appeal more broadly to weather enthusiasts.

Our website is www.pollensense.com

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
$8000 plus import tax to the UK. 

Sorry I dont think it would pay for itself. Ever.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »
Think about how much wunderground is/was worth, now imagine that the wunderground existed in a world with no other stations that report in real time or even in an automated fashion. I think you'd be shocked at how much the data are worth. But I did post the survey without mentioning the data revenue because I don't want to have to offer a rev share. I want it to be affordable and interesting enough to sell on its own accord.

Offline Theo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
We've developed the worlds first fully automated real time pollen counting device. Right now it retails for $8,000. That's probably out of the price range of most weather enthusiasts, but we do share revenue of data sales with device owners, so it will pay for itself eventually. People with weather stations are ideal users because they are already conditioned to do some occasional maintenance and they care about placement of sensors.

I've been wondering about what kind of price point would be interesting for future versions to appeal more broadly to weather enthusiasts.

Our website is www.pollensense.com

I would be happy to test it for you for free.....

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »
Right now we are raising money to build out the first level of the network. We'll place 300 units around N AM, Europe, and beyond--at reduced cost or, if we raise enough money, for free. If you want to demo, pm me your email address, I'll put you on the list.

Offline n3b

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:42:03 AM »
Working on something that might interest the community, just trying to gauge interest.

Interesting project and if the price comes down to purpleair level ($200) then I might buy it.

In the meantime I use
https://www.naaf.no/pollenvarsel/

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
It will be a while before we get down to the purple air price point. I'll let you know.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Pollen Sensor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
I think you have nailed it in your earlier response that it is out of reach for most home weather enthusiast.

Similarly like lightning detectors that are expensive, there is a market but finding it will be difficult with such a high buy in.

I think the only option is like the UradMonitor, rather than Purple Air, that has found a market in academic organisation. Davis has also has an academic market but neither are near the same price point.

I would volunteer to test in Australia but no way would my wife or kids allow me to spend that type of dollars.

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
what is your price point?

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Pollen Sensor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »
Start marketing towards academics and Environmental organisations.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:20:24 PM by Brientim »

Offline SneezeBreeze

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »
Our current official price point is $8,000, but we can offer discounts if the devices are in strategic locations. We are currently marketing to academic/etc and having a fair amount of success, but our ultimate goal is a very dense network, which would require "buy-in" from this crowd and other home-use customers.

anything