Author Topic: FTP vs LAN direct transfer of jpegs  (Read 1189 times)

Offline CloudyDave

FTP vs LAN direct transfer of jpegs
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
I broke it.  And as you know if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I was doing some year-end cleanup and somehow waxed the updating of my jpegs/html pages to my webserver.
I can tell you that all the jpegs and html files are being built correctly in my root dir. (like they have for 10+years).
Transferring them to my local area network (Intranet) webserver is the issue.
They will not transfer no matter what I try.
I DO NOT and have never had ftp running on my webserver.
I have a shared folder setup on the server and I can transfer files from my VWS host computer with my attached weather station to my shared directory on the webserver manually with no issues.  So I know the network portion is good.
I didn't think I was using the FTP option of VWS since I don't have FTP running on my server.
But now I'm questioning if it's the underlying mechanism for transferring files locally even though it's using FTP terminology.
For the last 12 hours or so, I've been searching wxforum, wikispaces and the manual as well as expermenting with V15P2 on a different computer trying to understand how the transfers are occuring as I've obviously forgotten how it's happening.
PS.  I'm still on V13.01P09 since my VWS host is windows 2000.
I can tell you also that Jpeg File Settings has been pointing to my root dir and does contain all of the updated jpegs every 5 minutes as configured.
The manual states that "direct jpeg file transfers" can be used. However I can't find where it documented how it works.  Nor can I find where it's configured.
I thought I had this configured and was being done by the Internet/FTP Upload File send option even though it technically was not using FTP.
In desparation I've been trying to copy some of the bin files from different backups I have, but the lack of knowing which bin files are used for transferring are preventing me from resurrecting the automatic transfers.
Can someone point me in the right direction to get these local file transfers done.  Tx so much!