Author Topic: PurpleAir / PWS / Weather Underground  (Read 2632 times)

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
PurpleAir / PWS / Weather Underground
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
My Davis VP2 PWS has been feeding data to Weather Underground since 2012. Just the other day I noticed something strange - on the Weather Underground maps, my PWS (as shown on the WU map) more or less consistently reported a temperature 4°C higher than other stations in the area. The PWS console itself displayed correct temperature data.

I finally got time to look into the matter this afternoon. As it turns out, my PWS data is overwritten by frequent and erroneous temperature reports from the PurpleAir sensor which I installed some two years ago. Not remembering whether I had provided the PurpleAir service with my WU password during setup, I simply changed my WU password and updated my weather software accordingly - hoping that the PurpleAir-provided data would not reach the WU servers after the password change. No joy - my PWS weather data was still overwritten by the PurpleAir sensor data.  ](*,)

Re-registering the PurpleAir sensor, selecting "Create new Weather Underground sensor ID" during the setup process seems to have cured the problem. Hopefully this will assist others who may experience the same problem.

I surely hadn't expected the PurpleAir sensor to upload temperature data to Weather Underground, effectively overwriting my PWS data. Maybe there's a setting somewhere -- I wasn't able to locate one, though.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline crawdad62

Re: PurpleAir / PWS / Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »
That's interesting. I just ordered my PurpleAir this past weekend. I was on the site and noticed the WU signup/in. So you should be good as long as you don't try and associate it with your PWS? Isn't there supposed to be integration between the two (other than screwing up your temperature readings :-P)?

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
So you should be good as long as you don't try and associate it with your PWS? Isn't there supposed to be integration between the two (other than screwing up your temperature readings :-P)?

I didn't find any documentation detailing how this integration is carried out. Experience seems to show that the PurpleAir data simply overwrites the weather station data when used with the same Weather Underground station ID.

Offline KennyBKK

• Khu Khot WX Station
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
So you should be good as long as you don't try and associate it with your PWS? Isn't there supposed to be integration between the two (other than screwing up your temperature readings :-P)?

I didn't find any documentation detailing how this integration is carried out. Experience seems to show that the PurpleAir data simply overwrites the weather station data when used with the same Weather Underground station ID.

Thanks for letting us know this.  My PurpleAir is on the way, so I'd better use different WU id from the current Weather Station
Ambient Weather WS-1900
WUnderground, PWS - IPATHUMT2
CWOP - EW4214
http://kanok.net/pws

Offline n4khq

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
About a year ago I bought a Purple Air on Weather Underground recommendation. I tried for a couple of months to display the data on my WU weather station page but purple air said WU was not ready and I gave up. The new WU format has a place for UV and says no data available. Is it possible to get Purple Air data on one's WU station page and not have the temperature over written.