Author Topic: Moving to a new computer - after too many years.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline RayW

• Layton North
Moving to a new computer - after too many years.
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
Currently running V14.01 P22 with a Davis Vantage Pro 2 on a 32 bit win 7 Pro Core 2 duo machine.  I built my webpage by hand (https://user.xmission.com/~crwhite/) from the VWS data back when I first bought VWS, somewhere around 2002/2003 (with a few tweaks over the years) if the file dates are correct.  I am preparing to build a new I7 8700 machine with 64 bit win10 Pro.

I read that it has been a few years since VWS was in active maintenance and some things are failing.  What would those who have been keeping up with the times recommend, transfer all my files to the new computer (do not recall if there are any registry issues), and keep going.  Get the last update (V15 or V15 P?) and rebuild the website using the built in tools.  Something else.  I THINK I had just moved the files, but that was on 32 bit machines each time, I do know that updating the software is a pain since you have to save certain directories (which ones I forget now) and restore them to keep your data/website stuff.

Ray

Is there a substitute for VWS that is kept current?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:33:00 PM by RayW »

Offline CloudyDave

Re: Moving to a new computer - after too many years.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
Ray, I've read in many places that all you need to do is copy the entire folder/directory to your new machine and then reinstall VWS pointing it to the same folder/directory name where you just copied to.  BUT,  I've never actually done it.

Offline CloudyDave

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:27 PM »
PS.  I too, like many before us, have questioned if VWS is still the best choice.  But like you we know it pretty well and it really is/has been very reliable.  Also there is a known issue with Win10 computers that needs a procedure to follow.  I just saw it here in the forums earlier today.

Offline CloudyDave

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
Here's the issue I read about.
Ken - Saratoga posted it back in 2016
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28526.0