Author Topic: Vantage Vue on eBay  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Bluefudge

• Chilliwack Weather
Vantage Vue on eBay
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »
Seems to good to be true.  Thoughts? 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
Re: Vantage Vue on eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:08:03 AM »
Why would anyone sell 10 units for GBP 25 each?
I'd keep a safe distance.

(Any dealer missing 10 units from their stock?)

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
I saw those too. It is for the ISS only. It operates on a different frequency than a US version Vue console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
TBH it's all a bit odd, to say the least. Yes, it's just the ISS but as far as I can see doesn't specify whether it's US or OV version. And a delivery date 4-6 weeks ahead? And there were 10 available??? Just doesn't really add up.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline VE7FQN

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »
Well, there is 22 days left on the auction. They may also have a reserve price set. So if reserve not met item will not sell.

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »
Item description is copy & paste from the Davis product info. Seller really has no idea what is for sale?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
Well, there is 22 days left on the auction. They may also have a reserve price set. So if reserve not met item will not sell.

The three already sold at the same price.  WHo knows where these came from?  Maybe someone needed the consoles only?  Ryan Wilhour sells/sold  major parts, too - someone wanted only a portion of the full station.  If there was a decent fork of SDRweewx I'd snap one of these up at that price.  BTW, isn't there a way to switch the transmission freq of these things?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
Hmm, weirdness. I risked buying one, but the system won't let me to pay with my otherwise fine PayPal account (PP can be selected as valid payment option). It just prints:

Sorry, this payment option isn't available. Here are your options:
  Contact PayPal customer service to resolve this issue.

Will try again later. But maybe someone cried fraud and they're protecting their users from that.

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
    • Mount Pleasant, Hoarwithy, Herefordshire, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
Well I managed to send payment via PayPal, I would not send it any other way

Delivery: Estimated between Sat. 16 Jun. and Mon. 18 Jun

We'll see
John Cooper
http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk/latest
Davis Vantage Vue with belfryboy datalogger feeding CumulusMX on RPi3

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
I succeeded at payment by re-linking my card with Ebay but the payment was pending after 3 days so I cancelled the order. Ebay support claimed that the seller's account has been compromised so proceed with caution.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
@neutronwrangler: your signature image is huge, loads slowly and very intrusive. Would you please do something about it?

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
PayPal took my money, it shows 9 sold now.

It is strange the account is "compromised" yet still up and selling

@neutronwrangler: your signature image is huge, loads slowly and very intrusive. Would you please do something about it?
Sorry, is it better now or should I get rid of it entirely?
John Cooper

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:24 PM »
It is strange the account is "compromised" yet still up and selling
I wonder if he ships outside of GB, maybe he doesn't, but he could at least properly indicate it on the auction or answer messages where he can make this clear. Maybe Ebay support was BS'ing because they don't know what happens in their system.

Sorry, is it better now or should I get rid of it entirely?
Well, I had my ad blocker block it manually but will check later.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:04:59 AM »
Claims free shipping worldwide.  Given the price, that in itself is another warning sign to me.

He just recently received one negative feedback as a seller, he has no other feedback as a seller.  (100% negative so far.)

I've watched one other seller like this in the past who had no seller history, who was selling a batch of a new item at well below retail, maybe even well below wholesale.  I watched because it seemed very suspicious to me, and I tend to believe the adage that if it sounds too good to be true, it is.  As I recall, negative feedback started trickling in about the item not being received with no response from the seller, and suddenly the seller disappeared off of ebay.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:18:43 AM by SnowHiker »

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:22 AM »
Agreed, does not look good.

Difficult to see how to make much money that way
John Cooper

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »
Now he has two negative feedbacks, and still no positive.

Agreed, does not look good.

Difficult to see how to make much money that way
Yep.  I've never sold on ebay, but I would think a new seller might would be willing to sacrifice a little bit to entice people to buy to get their feedback ratings established.  But then, I would also think he would strive for a 100% positive rating rather than 100% negative.  :?

Yeah, I think it's a scam.  It seems as if ebay would have some kind of algorithm set up to spot new sellers like this.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »
Latest score: three negative feedbacks, no positive.

Two of the feedbacks are for a previously ended auction for another apparently way under priced item, which would seem to make it even more unlikely this is some kind of a mistake.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »
New seller feedback score:  Positive 0, Neutral 0, Negative 4

10 ISSs "Sold"

I couldn't stand it any more and reported the seller to ebay and they're supposed to start an investigation.  First thing I've ever reported to ebay, and wasn't sure if I should report this as I haven't personally had any dealings with the seller, but I hate seeing more people attempting to buy to most likely just be disappointed, at best.  But ebay acted like they took it seriously, so we'll see what happens.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »
I'm in the middle of a sort of similar Ebay purchase thing. I bought a reasonably priced item (actually several items together, VHF radio related).
Week and a half goes by, no shipping info or acknowledgements; other than what must be an automatic Ebay 'receive by' date notice. Money long gone from Paypal.
Send an Ebay PM to the seller about status. Quickly get back an apology for not shipping yet: health problems, just got out of the hospital, blahblah. Another week and a half+, nothing, zip, nada.
Should I try another seller PM, or just escalate with Ebay? Too patient, too nice I guess.

In about 15 years of Ebay, this is the first possible swindle; guess I just only buy 'safe' stuff.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17:05 PM »
I'm in the middle of a sort of similar Ebay purchase thing. I bought a reasonably priced item (actually several items together, VHF radio related).
Week and a half goes by, no shipping info or acknowledgements; other than what must be an automatic Ebay 'receive by' date notice. Money long gone from Paypal.
Send an Ebay PM to the seller about status. Quickly get back an apology for not shipping yet: health problems, just got out of the hospital, blahblah. Another week and a half+, nothing, zip, nada.
Should I try another seller PM, or just escalate with Ebay? Too patient, too nice I guess.

In about 15 years of Ebay, this is the first possible swindle; guess I just only buy 'safe' stuff.

The first thing I would be concerned with:
Buyers can open a ‘request’ up to 30 days after the estimated delivery date of an item, for an item not received or item not as described.
(https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/news/money-back-details)

So if it is nearing the 30 day deadline after the estimated delivery date you were given when you ordered the item, I'd recommend escalating it with ebay, otherwise it sounds like you may lose out.  Even if it has already passed that date I think I would still notify ebay, even if you may not get your money back.

Otherwise, you may have to play it by ear.  If it is an established seller with years of nothing but positive ratings, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt, up until sometime before the 30 day deadline.  If the seller gives you a new estimated delivery date, I don't think it counts with ebay, so I wouldn't take his word for it.

But I'm no expert.  I've never had a personal issue I've had to escalate with ebay either, the ISS just started looking like very probable fraud to me.

For what it's worth, here is a page I read before calling ebay: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/reporting-item-issue-seller?id=4022

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
SnowHiker,
Using the Ebay resolution process is how I first contacted the seller, I was aware of that 30-day limit. She does have a good rep.
Coincidentally, after posting I checked my email and there was a notice from Ebay this afternoon from the seller, stating that the medical (and travel) problems were still ongoing. So I'm sending back that I'll wait a little longer.
There's an option to just get a refund, but it was a pretty good deal and I'd like the stuff. Maybe the seller realized they might get more and are slow-walking me, don't know. I'm real patient.

That Davis ISS on the other hand has got to be a scam. I've seen other things that seemed 'too good to be true' and avoided them before.
Sometimes you can get a fantastic deal though. One of the best places are various actual store's. Like when their marketing/pricing gurus try out really good products and they just don't move off the shelves. Then they decide to discontinue the items and mark the product down 80%+ just to get it out of the door.
An example I'm still kicking myself for not maxxing out: At Wallyworld I noticed a neat Bushnell weather device (displays temps and WX forecasts, etc., for 5-7 days for cities across the country, on a nice color-coded screen).
Original Wally price was $125. They didn't sell (I guess).
So somebody decrees-- markdown and dump 'em. They go on a clearance shelf for $20-25 each, a stack of 25-30 of them. I see them, try one, am highly impressed, and go back for 6 more for gifts. Everybody luvs 'em.
I thought briefly about getting more, but don't really need them, right?
I should have gotten every one of them, and then cleaned out the other stores around. Why?
The damned things aren't made any more, but lots of people seem to like them, a lot.
And they now sell on Ebay for $300-400 each (last time I looked). ~50 of them, $300 profit each = $15,000 clams   #-o.
One of few consumer items I've ever seen that actually appreciated in value (outside of classic cars, etc.).

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
Your recent eBay transaction may be from a compromised account

Hello neutronwrangler,
You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item: 
183252324751 - Davis 06357 Vantage Vue Wireless Integrated Sensor Suite Weather Station New

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorised third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:
John Cooper

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
Oops. That explains the lack of communication from the "seller's" part... Thankfully I was able to cancel the Paypal payment in due time, though the amount hasn't been refunded yet.

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »
It was pending with PayPal, so I cancelled and it was returned.
John Cooper

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »
I've just received final notification from Ebay that the seller's account was compromised and the auction was started without their consent. The auction has been removed. Possibly both their PP and Ebay account was compromised. It was too good to be true anyway...