Author Topic: Heathkit ID 4001/5001 Wind Sensor Boom Wanted  (Read 1326 times)

Offline radioman1075

• Forecaster/Radio Engineer
Heathkit ID 4001/5001 Wind Sensor Boom Wanted
« on: May 25, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »
Hello I am searching for some Heathkit parts and needing the wind boom for my station. I am needing the wind sensor boom from either the 4001 or the 5001 weather stations. Even if it has broke wind cup or missing vane I need the main wind sensors.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Heathkit ID 4001/5001 Wind Sensor Boom Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
I have a Heathkit color TV, would that help? Seriously, I grew up assembling Heathkit products over the years and miss that hobby. Benton Harbor, Michigan surely misses them. Good luck finding something, but it will be hard. Did you try eBay?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Heathkit ID 4001/5001 Wind Sensor Boom Wanted
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
Unless you need the look of a classic station, have you considered doing a replacement that I think is now available?

That is, if you need 'something' up in the air to give your station the data to display, there is a gizmo now to interface a Davis anemometer head to the station. 

I tested one for a bit and worked well, and now am (behind) in assembling one from scratch and taking (I hope) pretty good photos to help.  Being employed and having a late spring has disrupted my plans of getting the photo and assembly work done to share, but if you want to know more, go to ask questions of Mitch at

http://angryelectrons.co/heathkit-id-40015001-weather-interface

to see if this would be a modernization alternative to getting an original.

I'm hopeful (as one who loved heathkits and did learn a lot from them, both understanding how things work and assembly skills) that these old internal electronics can be put to good use.  I have a 4001 that a friend assembled from scratch decades ago and was still working well when he had to sell his home and move to assisted living.  Unfortunately, like so many of the outside parts, the boom was lost to mishandling and an unaware handyman that was just getting the stuff off the roof.  It is still working since I used the test board from AngryElectrons to test and I'm proud my friend's 4001 is still purring along.

Ah, the disclaimer.  I have no financial interest in the company listed above.  I DO have an interest in keeping vintage stuff running.  Another amateur radio friend restores WWII and after Collins radios, Viking stuff (the radios, not the football players) and it is a labor of love.  His obsessive nature makes him do an outstanding job, and these no longer are boat anchors but nice radios which would be even more rare if they got recycled.

Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything