Author Topic: If you own a PurpleAir  (Read 6598 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
If you own a PurpleAir
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
 How about joining the Facebook page also Link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/purpleair/

They only have about 79 member make you wonder why as they have over 1300 sensor online. I don't see a link on there web site funny
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: If you own a PurpleAir
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
Spread the word, but perhaps there is a certain avoidance of FaceBook and other attempts to let a data-mining company shoulder the burden of hosting a comment site.

For example, a local newspaper recently decided to shut down it's web site for comments, shifting entirely to facebook and twitter and others for comments.   

That essentially cut out those of us with paid subscriptions to the paper who have weighed the risks and dangers of facebook with the convenience.

There are enormous helpful services that they dangle in front of users, especially for family who has spread across the world and yet all this free stuff comes with a price.

I, for one, think that having the forum exist on facebook excludes many who would otherwise participate but cannot since they choose not to be a facebook user.

I like forums like this one, for my two cents worth.

Just commenting, but I think your effort to get the Purple Air community talking and exchanging ideas and experiences is great.  I'm hoping to add that to my set up this summer.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
I have also posted a link on the PurpleAir Facebook page back to this Forum. I don't know people think someone or something is trying to do them in. Well you all know by now if your on the web on a browser they got you. I Don't think Facebook is any worse then Amazon or any wal-mart or Home-depot or any Corp. web site if your worried now a days you shouldn't be on the Web.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline tpkirkp

• Clyde, CA local weather
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 10:55:47 PM »
Just joined wxforum today to see if I can find info on the PA-II I got last week.  Powers up and fans work.
I see the SSID on both win7 and Linux Mint (using WICD netwk mgr), but trying to connect just times out.
I also got a conflict btwn the mac addr Adrionics sent me and what came up on my ARRIS cable modem/router 2.4Ghz wifi config page.
The label on the PA-II and the email shows mac addr starting with '60' and the router shows '62', the rest of the addr being the same.
I sent 2 different support inquiries to purpleair, one via the website and the other direct to their support email addr.
Has any of the forum members had any issues connecting to a PA-II and what are the odds of getting a response from purpleair/adrionics?
I have $244 USD wrapped up in this thing and did a lot of prior research b4 buying it, and saw some early issues with the sensors, but most users
seem to have minimal issues with the install.
Thanks
-tim
Amateur Radio call K6TPK
CWOP: CW9461
WU: KCACONCO16
Rainwise MK-III-RT1-LR with UV/Solar radiation sensors.
Boltek LD-250 lightning detector w/Microsferics add-on
PurpleAir PA-II AQI sensor
Oregon Scientific WMR968.
All mounted on 20' Rohn 55G tower.

Offline tpkirkp

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
Well, I finally got the PA-II up and running this PM with Adrian and Amanda's help from Purpleair.
It definitely wasn't easy.  Had to set up the WICD network manager on linux mint to connect to the AirMonitor_30ce SSID while I did a page re-load
on Chrome to 192.168.4.1 at the same time.  Finally got the page up to configure the wifi.  Now it's running on my 2.4Ghz network and I see it on the map.
Purpleair's install procedure needs some work.

-tim
Amateur Radio call K6TPK

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
Well, I finally got the PA-II up and running this PM with Adrian and Amanda's help from Purpleair.
It definitely wasn't easy.  Had to set up the WICD network manager on linux mint to connect to the AirMonitor_30ce SSID while I did a page re-load
on Chrome to 192.168.4.1 at the same time.  Finally got the page up to configure the wifi.  Now it's running on my 2.4Ghz network and I see it on the map.
Purpleair's install procedure needs some work.

-tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.  Glad you got your Purpleair working.  I am intrigued by the description of your rainwise in your sig.  I would like to add solar and UV to my Mk III but I didn't even know they were available.  Do you have any info about them?  May be time to call Lonnie at Rainwise!

Offline tpkirkp

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:10:02 PM »
ggsteve:

Yeah, I called Lonnie and gave him the model/part #'s off their website.
800-1200 MK-lll EXPANSION Expansion Board for MK-lll ($78)
800-1300 AGROMET EXPANSION Add-on Board for AgroMET
808-1005 PYRANOMETER Silicon Photo Diode Pyranometer ($400)
808-1006 UV UV Index Sensor ($200)
810-1004 LW Leaf Wetness Sensor
800-1100 SM Soil Moisture Sensor w/ 15’ cable
800-1095 ST Soil Temperature Sensor w/25’ cable
Lonnie told me they have to wait on their supplier for the hardware and then Rainwise will assemble them with the correct mounts for the MK-III.
Make sure you tell Lonnie whether you have the regular MK-III or a MK-III-LR like mine.  The exp. board is different for each.
I really like the Rainwise product.  Still waiting on my order to ship..been almost 3 weeks now.  getting a little impatient to finish the project up.
I'm not going to bother with the leaf wetness or soil temp, don't need it and just more $$ I don't need to spend when on a fixed income (retired AT&T).
-tim
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:43:31 PM by tpkirkp »
Amateur Radio call K6TPK

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
I too like Rainwise, and figure their station would be just a wee bit better with those additions.

Is there any documentation on the expansion board, the sensors and so on? 

Just curious so one might look about a bit.
Thanks for raising the awareness of these possible additions.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline tpkirkp

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »
I too like Rainwise, and figure their station would be just a wee bit better with those additions.

Is there any documentation on the expansion board, the sensors and so on? 

Just curious so one might look about a bit.
Thanks for raising the awareness of these possible additions.
Dale

Hi Dale,
Sorry I replied to the wrong post.  Haven't been on any forums in years, so kinda forgot how they work, lol.
I haven't received my order from Lonnie at Rainwise yet.  When I get it (hopefully RSN) I'll try to post the docs that come with it for members interested.
The 3 parts + shipping came to $704, so it ain't cheap on top of the $1260 for the MK-III-LR.  It is what it is I guess..
-tim
Amateur Radio call K6TPK

Offline i_fiorentino

• Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Vue, Boltek Stormtr., Mobotix M22-IT
    • Meteopistoia.it
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:12:06 PM »
Hi,
installed today and just joined to fb group :)
Regards,

Alessandro

Offline KennyBKK

• Khu Khot WX Station
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
Just made my PurpleAir online this evening.  A lone dot in Thailand.
Ambient Weather WS-1900
WUnderground, PWS - IPATHUMT2
CWOP - EW4214
http://kanok.net/pws

Offline Fabius

• Ambient Weather station model 1201.
  • Undocumented Meteorologist.
    • Weather Station with Air Quality Readings
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
FYI The PurpleAir Facebook group as of this posting is at 812 people.
Undocumented Meteorologist.
La Porte, Indiana USA
Weather Station: https://tinyurl.com/uu4f9sa

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
I have been thinking about adding a purpleair to my location.  The access I have to 'outside' is through one basement window, and a screened in porch just above the area is where we do a lot of outdoor cooking, grilling and sometimes a slow smoker all day.

I would assume that the purpleair will 'smell' this and indicate a poor air quality.  Has anyone discovered by accident or testing how far from a source of smoke like a grill should be between the sensor and the source, even an outside kitchen vent, to prevent major errors?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
I have been thinking about adding a purpleair to my location.  The access I have to 'outside' is through one basement window, and a screened in porch just above the area is where we do a lot of outdoor cooking, grilling and sometimes a slow smoker all day.

I would assume that the purpleair will 'smell' this and indicate a poor air quality.  Has anyone discovered by accident or testing how far from a source of smoke like a grill should be between the sensor and the source, even an outside kitchen vent, to prevent major errors?
I can tell when my neighbor stokes his wood stove.  My grill is around the corner of the house about 40 ft away from the Purpleair and it easily senses ribeyes cooking!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »
If you are cooking ribeyes, then I'll be right over, no purple air indication needed!

I forgot about wood stoves in the neighborhood.  When you can smell them there has to be a certain level for my sensor (nose) to tell, and wonder if the PA can detect even less intense particle concentration?

I recall a couple decades ago visiting a friend in Jackson, WY and when he picked us up from the airport, which is maybe 15 miles north of town in the Hole, he said that a lot of skiers were complaining loudly that there was a burning ban or suggestion to not use fireplaces.   They paid a lot to fly in, ski on the hills stay in their lodges and wanted the full package of sipping drinks around a roaring fire pit or inside at a fireplace.

I do recall there being an inversion and a heavy dense layer that ended abruptly about 1/3 the way of the mountains and tailed off towards the Teton National Park and Yellowstone.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Oh, forgot to put in the last post, when there are stong concentrations (grass fire, wood smoke, etc) does that 'poison' the sensor so it is no longer as sensitive, or once the air clears out is it back to normal?
Are they ruined by exposure to stuff in the air?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
Oh, forgot to put in the last post, when there are stong concentrations (grass fire, wood smoke, etc) does that 'poison' the sensor so it is no longer as sensitive, or once the air clears out is it back to normal?
Are they ruined by exposure to stuff in the air?
I had a sensor failure about a year ago.  I sent the unit back to Purpleair and they fixed and returned it straight away.  Other than that it just works.  I have seen no degradation of the sensors.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 10:08:59 PM »
My purpleair sensor is on year 4 now and I have had zero issues. They recalled the power supply years ago and I was sent the new version straight away. Never had any issues with the original but was glad to see them being proactive about it.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
I'm not sure how the gizmos work, so I was concerned that the sensor would be 'poisoned' by too much stuff in the air, or in the case of the old heavy sooty smoke or something getting the inner works gummed up.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
Mine has been very stable for four years with no cleaning. One nice thing about the purpleair device is that it actually has two sensors inside and it constantly checks for consistency in the data. So if one sensor ever does start to underperform or experience some other issue, the device and will know.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »
Now you guys have got me interested again.
I see that I don't need to run wires to it from a router, it uses WIFI for communication.  Only the power supply.

I don't have a powered spot some distance away from the side of a building, like a free standing post.  Is it  important to have it open like on a post or is it OK to mount along side a building where there is some air flow?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 10:40:37 PM »
I have mine on the side of my house near the electric box. At my previous house, it was on a fence next to the house. Basically anywhere that gets airflow is fine.

Also, the power cord is about 15ft long. If that isn't enough then you can easily make your own power cord. It's powered via a micro usb jack. The power supply it comes with is just a beefy outdoor-rated micro usb power supply.

You can see the dual sensors and the usb power port in this photos:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0080/5552/1377/products/PAII_bottom_15_9896_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks, that is very helpful.

One last question, is the bottom open as shown on the photo that you linked to, or is there a screen over it?

I have paper wasps and mud dabber wasps which gum things up given the chance.   If it is open, can a fine screen be placed and not interfere with operation?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
The bottom is open. We have wasps here and I frequently have to clean nests out of my rain bucket. However, they've never built anything in my purpleair sensor. My guess is that they don't like the small vibrations from the two fans inside the device. The fans are dead silent so vibration is all I can think of.

That said, I don't think a mesh screen would hurt anything. Anything air can freely move through should be just fine.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »
Mine is under the back porch.  No issues except some confusion with initial setup and Support was helpful with that.  I was thinking about the possibility of "poisoning" the sensors.  As far as that goes, look at the Purpleair US map sometime especially during fire season out West.  These things report on some God awful air quality and just come back for more.

With regards to pests, it's never happened but I bet spiders could be a problem.  If they can screw up the burners in my outdoor stove, I bet they could clog my Purpleair.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:30:53 AM by ggsteve »