Author Topic: Make your own Purpleair  (Read 14316 times)

Offline blacklistedcard

Re: Make your own Purpleair
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »
I got my code working with my Adafruit ESP8266.  Also, the RGB LED notification is working great!

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 01:28:13 AM »
My sensor mounted to the house.  Been running fine for a couple of weeks.

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 12:48:52 AM »
Just wanted to report back on both my custom sensor and the purple air that I own.  All three sensors are only reporting zeros.  I had to replace all three sensors.  So the really hot and humid summer really did a number on the PMS5003 sensors

Anyone else have their PMS5003 sensors stop reporting?

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
I fixed the three PMS5003 sensors that were not working for anyone that has the same problem.   Used compressed air and blow into the fan opening....   After I did that.  All three sensor started working again.....

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
I cam across this article on Adafruit - it's about the Arduino and the same Plantower sensor Purpleair uses.
If you wanted to make a sh**-ton of these things, you could probably do it cheaper.

Here's the article:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pm25-air-quality-sensor
Or use this one, the "luftdaten" sensor, already hundreds of stations in Europe, how-to-build in multiple languages (sorry the English version is not the best one), Open-Data, Open-source of all scripts via Github.

One big map and multiple local = city wide maps such as Leuven or Brussels
In my home town of Leuven-Belgium they = the inhabitants,  are rolling out a hundred of these sensors.
I have one  on my own website also, on the home page a small expandable block and a full page at http://weer.sluispark.be/index.php?p=mnu_aqhi_luft&lang=en

The scripts used,  look the same as for the Purpleair,check this  user site and also the normal AQ scripts as used in the US at this demo site

The sensors plus arduino board cost less then 30 dollar and there is a shopping-list with links to the ali*** chiness site.

There are a few users in Northern America also. it is becoming quit a success here as multiple cities sponsor this development by organising how-to-build workshops a.s.o.

Wim

Hello,

I am now on progress of making my own Purple air sensor using these german AQI device, I already have the arduino and the sensor, still on delivery sched. anyways where to download that script to add on my web page? hope you can send me or link me one. Thank You and have more power to your leuven scripts.

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
Here is a picture of the LED on to get a better understanding of the lighting.

It will be nice just to look at the sensor and know the air quality.

can you share the code? I want also to have a LED indicator which easily to identify without looking at the pc. Thanks in advance

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »
Here is a picture of the LED on to get a better understanding of the lighting.

It will be nice just to look at the sensor and know the air quality.

can you share the code? I want also to have a LED indicator which easily to identify without looking at the pc. Thanks in advance

Here is the code.......   I'm using the beta branch with my custom LED code added.

https://github.com/DwaineGarden/sensors-software/tree/beta

Here is the project original code.  You have to watch what device you are using.  The pin are directly hard code for specific sensors.  Also the function calls going out to their server has the specific pin hardcoded.   So if you use pin 5 instead of pin 1, then you have to make the changes.

Thats the reason why some people get the sensors working with the web interface, but the data never shows up on the server and map.

https://github.com/opendata-stuttgart/sensors-software/tree/beta

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
Hi

After a couple of weeks to study, supply and install AQi sensor using SDs011, I successfully obtained and its fully functional, Thanks to Sir Wim for his assistance  and scripts I requested, however still needs to polish in one page but I guess it worked, I also put its status as my first page on DASHBOARD using saratoga script techniques. As i initiated the sensor I guess only ME shows on the Map and the rest are relying on Airflow products which cost expensive and also you cannot use it to your own web site polish, so here it is You can check it out

http://pimohweather.com/wxLuftdatenAQI.php
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:21:11 AM by pimohdaimaoh »

Offline Supercell

• Dublin Weather
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
Has anyone managed to integrate one of the Luftdaten sensors with weeWX?
I'd love to add a page to my site with a bunch of charts and tables using the inbuilt generator. I'd really like to dig into my local air quality data and see if there are any patterns etc.

Offline Supercell

• Dublin Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
I've installed my sensor and created a page for the data, thanks for the thread, its been an interesting and fun thing to do!
Here's the air quality page on my weather website - https://www.loughlinstown.ie/airq.html
I really would like to integrate this in the weeWX databse so i could go full on geek with the numbers, I'm realy curious to see any patterns in spikes and return rates of values over a certain number etc, it looks doable but lots of reading first.

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
I'm surprised that there are not more people making their own sensors.

Offline Vertikar

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »
I'm surprised that there are not more people making their own sensors.
I've got a Luftdaten setup in build, but having issues configuring it. Can't get into the GUI to set the SSID and password

Offline Supercell

• Dublin Weather
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2020, 03:24:23 AM »
Initially it creates its own wifi access point so you need to connect to that, mine was called airRohr-ID
It will use an ip of 192.168.4.1 and IIRC the access point doesnt use dhcp so I needed to temporarily manually put my nic ip to 192.168.4.100 (anything from 2-254 should be fine) to be able to connect
Once connected to its WiFi put 192.168.4.1 in your browser and go from there, its pretty self explanatory.
Once done put own wifi settings back to normal and it will pull its new ip from your router assuming you put ssid etc details in correctly after it reboots.

Offline Vertikar

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 03:31:22 AM »
Initially it creates its own wifi access point so you need to connect to that, mine was called airRohr-ID
It will use an ip of 192.168.4.1 and IIRC the access point doesnt use dhcp so I needed to temporarily manually put my nic ip to 192.168.4.100 (anything from 2-254 should be fine) to be able to connect
Once connected to its WiFi put 192.168.4.1 in your browser and go from there, its pretty self explanatory.
Once done put own wifi settings back to normal and it will pull its new ip from your router assuming you put ssid etc details in correctly after it reboots.
For some reason after I connected to its SSID it dropped shortly after, and had to restart to get it back, then it'd drop out again. Need to do some more debugging via its serial output when I get more time.
Thanks for the hint about DHCP though, I think I did get an IP at one stage from it, but will try static addressing next time

Offline Supercell

• Dublin Weather
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2020, 03:42:39 AM »
Its signal is pretty poor, i had to have my laptop right beside it to set it up initially, after that, once it was set up and mounted outside it was fine though.

Offline alittle

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »
I stumbled across this thread a few weeks ago and built three of them using the luftdaten . Two with SDS011 and one with PMS5003. https://maps.sensor.community/#10/38.8150/-121.4003.

There is a PurpleAir a couple miles away, so I added it to the chart.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2023, 06:35:55 PM »
Has anyone else built their own sensor?   I would of thought more people in North America would build one.

Offline Vertikar

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2023, 10:48:34 PM »
Has anyone else built their own sensor?   I would of thought more people in North America would build one.

I've got one of the AirGradient Pro DIY kits (https://www.airgradient.com/open-airgradient/instructions/diy-pro-v37/) I'm hoping to build soon. Open-source, and a bit of an upgrade from the luftdataen (sensor.comunity) sensors

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2023, 10:51:25 PM »
I really like the PCB design.   I'm thinking of adding the CO2 sensor to my unit that I built.

anything