Author Topic: Air Quality Sensors  (Read 16441 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Air Quality Sensors
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
oh, TLA reffering to the forum name being only 3 letters

I atually googled TLA and The Lat Airbender did actually come up (as did three letter acronym)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
Only the reentrant version; here it's TWO letter acronym.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Eno

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »
Purple Air finally got back to me after a couple weeks.  The "Support" email worked whereas the "Contact" email did not.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »
Purple Air finally got back to me after a couple weeks.  The "Support" email worked whereas the "Contact" email did not.

Did they seem good?  Are you buying one?

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
Finally heard back from Purpleair.
They confirm they do ship to the Uk and the mains supply works from 100-250 volts.
Think I will hold fire on ordering one of their sensors though until I see a genuine first hand users review ...

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
Hi,
I have attached a link to what appear to be a review of performance on the PurpleAir sensor taking into account field and lab conditions

http://www.aqmd.gov/aq-spec/product/purpleair-pa-ii

Most of it is over my head though. (a bit like the particles being measured ...)

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
Well... Im not that excited about this. As far as I can see it does not measure any gas concentrations only PP and for 250USD? Im also a bit suspicious about anything from WU based on previous experience.

What are the pros and cons of thinking about air pollution from a point of view of gas type concentration, or particles?

I have been wondering about pollution from nearby outdoor wood burning, so I think (?) particle detection alone might be interesting to me.  The quality looks okay (possibly very good?), but, I am still concerned about the relatively high price too.

Looking at the map, it might be that some of the red areas are related to forrest and brush fires.  I guess in the metro regions it might be industrial output and car exhaust on some days (smog).

They have gone from about 250 sensors to about 500 since we have been discussing this topic.  Most of the concentration of sensor locations are still close to places they say have business centers.

But, there are still very few returns on Google.  WU lists them on the main pages, but the new system does not integrate into WU, what's with that?  What is the connection between purple air and WU, professional friends? A possible WU future acquisition trying to prove themselves worthy of acquisition?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:18:37 PM by waysta »

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
Hi all,

I have one of these sensors up and working here in New Zealand and it runs seamlessly. After initial setup (which is relatively easy), unit just runs.

The readings are responsive however temp and humidity should be ignored due to the sensors proximity to the WIFI Board, which causes higher readings.

I have spoken with Purple Air and I will be selling these from my website.
www.eliteweather.co.nz

The mains power plug that comes with the unit, will be changed to NZ/AUS standard 3pin plug so for easy installation.

If you would like to know more I can be emailed through my website so please do ask away.

Cheers,

Weather Display now supports the sensor and I am working with it author to better improve its integration with WD.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
Interesting to know.
Taking a serious look at the purple air sensor.
Would be nice if they supplied some widgets to use on my personal web page and not just their web site.
Here in the Farmland of Michigan could provide some interesting information.  Be even better if the EPA actually took note and made use of the FREE data.
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
They are very useful sensors and a fraction of the cost of expensive air quality sensor sensors equipment.

I’m also working on having these run totally standalone, no need for mains power or local internet connection.

Brilliant for local environment councils and other industries.

Be great to hear more feedback.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 12:37:24 AM »
Might want to check out https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,65512.0.html Really only the first couple pages would give you info on this person's experance with the Purple Air. The rest is just getting WD to get data from the unit.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
Re: Purple Air Sensors and Ozone
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
I have sent several (Unanswered) Emails to Purple air.  If they want us to support them it would help if they responded.
I will probably get one of their sensors next week.  My only reservation I would hate to buy one only to have them come out with one that also measures Ozone 2 weeks later (the usual luck of Bob)
Has anyone else seen, or gotten any information from them in regards to adding Ozone detection?
I see it mentioned on their web site, but I can not google any further information.
Don't like my weather

Offline waysta

• Contributor
Re: Purple Air Sensors and Ozone
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
I have sent several (Unanswered) Emails to Purple air.  If they want us to support them it would help if they responded. ...

Did you see Eno's post above, said only "support" worked, not "contact". 

I'm still intrigued by them too, but the price point, lack of wider adoption, severe lack of communications, and unavailable models (weeks later, the SD version is still pre-order) has me on hold.  However, their map is up to 600 reporting units today.

Ozone sensing would be great, but is typically more expensive.  A company had a little stand alone box with a LED bar indicator some years back, and $350 just for that alone. [$395 now!] https://www.ecosensors.com/product/ez-1x-ecozone-data-sheet/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:58:42 PM by waysta »

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
Might want to check out https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,65512.0.html Really only the first couple pages would give you info on this person's experance with the Purple Air. The rest is just getting WD to get data from the unit.

That is a really disturbing thread, particularly reply #129.  hmm, too bad this little company is not more market savvy. 

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
Yes been sending Email to Support.
Time will tell.
Don't like my weather

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
I ordered and paid for mine on the 13th of August. It was shipped on the 20th of September. The USPS tracking number provided by Adrionics was not identical to the one actually found below the USPS bar code, making it impossible to track the parcel. I was notified by mail on the 25th of October, that the sensor had finally cleared customs (Norway) and arrived at the local post office, ready to be picked up (as well as US$ 100 worth of duties to be paid).

My experiences this far:
  • The contact@ email address is not monitored (never had any responses from Adrionics).
  • The USPS tracking number provided by Adrionics was invalid.
  • The (apparent) link to the USPS tracking engine did not work.
  • Documentation is sparse (if any at all).
  • These are prototype products. The one-page documentation also states "Your sensor is a prototype (...)".
  • Setup for Weather Underground (etc.) requires input of "KEY1" and "KEY2". I can only assume that these are meant to be the WUnderground station ID and the WUnderground password (or possibly the station key?)
  • Neither the device itself nor the web-based interface provides any feedback on whether upload attempts to Weather Underground are successful.
  • The device also provides "local output" by means of HTTP requests (GET, PUT or POST) which can be directed to - say a Raspberry Pi. The JSON data set is not documented.
  • The temperature and humidity readings are way off and cannot be used for external applications.
  • The barometer readings seem to be reasonably accurate.
  • There are hints that the device is based on the Arduino (nothing wrong with that, just FYI).
  • The power supply comes with a US-type plug only (the power supply accepts 100-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz (slightly hard to read the specs)). No adapters provided, you're on your own if you're not anywhere near a US-type outlet. I guess most people can find a way around this, but it adds to the  impression that this product just isn't ready for prime time quite yet.
  • The power supply seems to be reasonably weather proof (moulded inside the plastic case) but there is no documentation stating anything about weather proofing (or an IPx grade).
  • The mounting bracket has only one screw hole - at the top/above the sensor housing. There really should have been one more screw hole, placed below the sensor housing.

My WUnderground data can be found here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTFOLDM6
Still waiting for the PurpleAir data to show up, though.

Summary: The edges are a bit rough. Much to be done in the documentation department. Price is way off the scale for a prototype product (did the WUnderground marketing actually state that they're pushing a prototype product?)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:28:11 PM by torkelmj »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
even though wunderground do get the data
they do not show it
even though they marketed/promoted the product

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
Thanks. That explains why nothing shows up. Leaves me wondering even more why WU decided to promote a prototype product.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
That explains many things.
I have sent over 10 emails to both "Contact" and "Support"
Never received a reply.  Can not believe WU is trying to promote this if it is so not supported. 
Still going to hold off until there is one that also monitors ozone.

Will keep an eye out.
Don't like my weather

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
Here is what I have gotten from them by e-mail.

Code: [Select]
Dear valued PurpleAir customer.

You are getting this message because you ordered a PurpleAir PA-II-SD air quality sensor.

There has been a delay caused by a version of the PCB (printed circuit board) that did not pass our design checks. We are working hard to fix this and the new PCB will be with us for testing in the next few days. After this we will need a bit more time for final testing and expect to start shipping SD version sensors around mid October.

Please note, that if you have WiFi with internet, the SD version is not necessary. This SD version is intended for remote locations without WiFi and internet access. All PurpleAir sensors will send data to the internet when a WiFi connection is available. You may download all your data from our cloud servers for your sensors and all other public sensors at any time.

If you prefer not to wait, we can change your order to the standard PA-II without the SD storage (available immediately), or offer you a full refund.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards
PurpleAir.com

Hi PurpleAir,

I read somewhere that you may be coming out with a new unit that would include Gas reading like Ozone. Is this something that may be coming out soon?

If this new unit would be coming out soon I may wish to cancel and wait for that unit.
If this new unit is not planned or will not be out for a long time then I wish to keep waiting for the PA-II-SD.

Thanks,

Thank you, we do not anticipate soon, so will ship a PA-II-SD when ready.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
WOW,
You received an answer from them.  Better than I have done.
I was really interested in getting one, but would rather wait for Ozone.
Hopefully Purple air and WU will get their stuff together.
Don't like my weather

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
WOW,
You received an answer from them.  Better than I have done.
I was really interested in getting one, but would rather wait for Ozone.
Hopefully Purple air and WU will get their stuff together.

I did have communication from them about a month ago, but since then they have ignored all my emails. looks like they are having supply issues which in turn will effect revenue and staff levels. the longer they have issues the likelihood this is an adventure that is going wrong.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline schwab

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
After a 1 month delay following purchase I received by USPS and then installed a PurpleAir brand air quality sensor (PA-II-SD) that as of today is uploading real-time data to Wunderground and www.purpleair.com

Click on the Green Dot in the zoomable map here:
http://tinyurl.com/y72n27bj

These air quality sensors have been shown to be quite accurate when compared to much, much more expensive air quality sensors.

They have been promoted by the Wunderground network which is how I learned about this new amateur weather watcher option.

https://www.wunderground.com/sensors/purpleair

During the registration process PurpleAir gives new users options of where data is supposed to flow...eg Wunderground

My station is posting air quality:
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/mn/rochester/44.04%2C-92.438

I may refine and pinpoint the Air Quality sensor link on our website: www.schwab1.com

Air Quality may be a measure that WXForum may wish to devote a new forum topic option.

AirQuality is also available at this site: https://www.airnow.gov/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:41:27 AM by schwab »

Offline Eno

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »

Did they seem good?  Are you buying one?

Wow that took a long time, ordered in early August, received in mid-November.  But after an initial delay, email contact was pretty good, I got questions answered, I got updates.

It was pretty easy to mount and register, first one in SW Idaho.  Boise.purpleair.com.  Four days later another one popped up on the map across town. The nearest active EPA PM2.5 monitor is 7 miles west.

It seems very sensitive. At first it was mounted on a post on the far end of our patio. One small cigar smoked in the interior of the patio on a slightly breezy afternoon, I didn't even see any smoke going towards the monitor, but it spiked.  Also thought it would be far enough from the grill, about 25 feet.  We grilled just a few jalapeno poppers, again, smoke going up, but the monitor measured a spike again.  We just moved it to a far south corner of the house under the eaves where there is better ventilation. It's probably about 100 feet from our fire pit, but I have a feeling next time we have a fire we'll generate some New Delhi-level measurements.

PM2.5 seems to drive the AQI.  Probably in the summer ozone will come into play, but ozone seems more predictable: hot day, lots of sun, lots of cars, diurnal ozone pattern. I feel like with the monitor I'll get a better idea of how bad the winter inversions and summer wildfire smoke are.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
Hoping someone here can help as Purple Air customer service is spotty.

I received my PAII today and got followed instructions and for several minutes during the setup in my room it was working just fine for a few minutes. Then I unplugged the sensor to move it to it's permanent spot outside. After installing the sensor and plugging it in again my PA pop-up window said that my sensor hadn't updated in an hour. Now it's 2 hours. I figured the house WiFi was weak in the spot I had it in so I moved it back inside in my room where it worked before and still it's not sending anymore

I know the sensor is still working because the red light under the dome is on and my phone is picking up it's WiFi signal and showing 5 bars. But the data is no longer streaming to Purple Air. It only worked for the first few minutes after I received the confirmation email.

Anyone else experience these issues? How do I fix this?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything