Author Topic: Air Quality Sensors  (Read 16439 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Air Quality Sensors
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
WU is pushing this for its maps.  https://www.purpleair.com/sensors  Interesting tech.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waysta

• Contributor
Re: Air Quality Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Agree, interesting.  From the WU email:  Governments don't have enough ground sensors to track air pollution accurately. At Weather Underground, we want to solve this problem. We are partnering with PurpleAir to build the largest crowdsourced air quality networks. But we need people like you — citizen scientists — to buy and install the equipment.

I wonder if there will be discount prices later?  Or, does this seem like a good price?

Any experiences with outdoor air quality monitors?  This company?

I guess I might order a PA-II-SD, not so much for the SD card, but for the internal clock.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:07:27 PM by waysta »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Well... Im not that excited about this. As far as I can see it does not measure any gas concentrations only PP and for 250USD? Im also a bit suspicious about anything from WU based on previous experience.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:24:32 PM by waysta »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
This is about the same price (still overpriced IMHO), but at least has also the gas concentrations and I would trust it more than something from WU

https://shop.wickeddevice.com/product-category/air-quality-egg/

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Looks like Purple Air is trying to establish a CWOP concept for air quality. It appears uploads will happen automatically from the sensor to a person's WiFi router to a server in the cloud without a computer. If so, maybe some day uploads to CWOP and WU can occur without a computer or the Davis Envoy, which would be useful!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
It appears uploads will happen automatically from the sensor to a person's WiFi router to a server in the cloud without a computer. If so, maybe some day uploads to CWOP and WU can occur without a computer or the Davis Envoy, which would be useful!

Available today as a feature on more than one vendor's PWS...just not from Davis.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »
This is about the same price (still overpriced IMHO), but at least has also the gas concentrations and I would trust it more than something from WU

From the Purple Air website. "Purple Air sensors may include other detectors in the future like Ozone or other gases."

I also find this a pit pricey, but very interesting.  Particulate matter is a major source of respiratory health issues, especially the really tiny particles.

Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline JanWerbinski

• Davis Vantage Pro2, Meteobridge Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »
It appears uploads will happen automatically from the sensor to a person's WiFi router to a server in the cloud without a computer. If so, maybe some day uploads to CWOP and WU can occur without a computer or the Davis Envoy, which would be useful!

Available today as a feature on more than one vendor's PWS...just not from Davis.....
Available for Davis with Meteobridge or Meteohub. With Meteobridge Pro no Davis console is needed - reading directly from ISS.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
Yup... "just not from Davis"   #-o
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Eno

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
The PA-II-SD is in pre-order status as of Aug 14, says shipping could be two months away.

I sent Purple Air an email with some questions nine days ago on Aug 5, so far, crickets.

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
Hi,
I had four queries that came to mind, as I too like many people received the email from Weather Underground.

As I live in the UK, I assume the sensor's power supply will need a step down transformer from 240 to 120 volts?

Does it have a powered motor? (sorry if this sounds a bit stupid to ask), as I have experienced problems with imported clocks and tape decks as some motors need 60hz and run too slow when running on 240 volt and 50hz UK and European power.

Will they ship to the UK?

Finally, is it any good? I can find precious independent information on line

thanks, regards, Tim

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »
It uses standard 5v USB for power. And yes it has a powered fan. Learned this all on their website. Not sure about your 240 vs 120 volt question but I do seen some sensor locations other than in the USA.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
The PA-II-SD is in pre-order status as of Aug 14, says shipping could be two months away.

I sent Purple Air an email with some questions nine days ago on Aug 5, so far, crickets.

not a good sign ... Odd that WU would start an international campaign for the project, when two of the three sensor models are not yet available. 

I wonder if it is the Tesla Model 3 approach, where they need the funds from pre-orders to pay for parts and production? 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:43:59 PM by waysta »

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
you could be right about the fact they await for enough pre-orders and then when a certain threshold is reached go ahead with production.
Otherwise the two month delay on some models does not make sense.
I am keen on an air quality sensor but may go an indoor sensor instead from an existing mass market proven and available product, such as LaserEggg or Footbot.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 07:28:49 PM »
I received the same email days ago, I choked when I seen the price  :shock: if they want my help they need to lower that price waaaay down!!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
I like the map, an interesting way to see area trends, such as from brush fires.  There is local burning from time to time in my neighborhood and it would be interesting to see the particulate numbers.

I got close to buying one of the original models (in stock) during a weak moment yesterday afternoon, but when I got to $244 with shipping at PayPal, I closed the window.

Wish they had a phone number so we could talk with them.  The emphasis on PayPal and lack of a contact phone number concerns me, maybe too small an operation.  On the other hand, the map shows some pretty well concentrated coverage areas, at least near one of their locations.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:47:22 PM by waysta »

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Every young company has to start somewhere.  But I agree roughly $250 for something I really don't need is quite a bit of money.  On the other hand I would be the first in my state to install one.  And it would be interesting to see the air quality trends when all the nasty air blows up here over lake Michigan from northern Illinois and Indiana and give us air quality alerts.  I will have to see how things pan out over the next weeks and months.  It won't break the bank but I do have to justify it somehow even if the only justification is "it would be cool to have one". :-)
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »
WD has now added support for this sensor (see a thread on the WD forum for more details)

Offline Eno

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

WD has now added support for this sensor (see a thread on the WD forum for more details)

WD forum.  Weather for Dummies?  Weather Display?  Witch Doctors?  Western Digital?  Writer's Digest? WD-40? Women's Development Forum? World Domination?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Weather Display
and yes Weather Display forum

but you answered your own question. Weird.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
I suspect the TLA was slightly confusing to non-regulars of WxF.  :)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
the last airbender?

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
Hi,
I emailed Purpleair last week to ask about shipping, etc to the UK but heard nothing since, so I have bought a LaserEgg instead.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »
the last airbender?

TLA is usually "three letter acronym," but in this case there's only two letters.....  #-o
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol: