Author Topic: Andrew 24 years ago  (Read 2717 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Andrew 24 years ago
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:23 PM »
Hurricane Andrew 24 years ago. I was living in Margate Florida which is just inland from Pompano Beach, Florida which is in northern Broward County.
As you can see in the pic Broward county which is the next county north from Dade County is firmly in the CDO.
There were gusts at Pompano over 100mph. I was about 8 miles inland from Pompano so the "show was pretty good.
The winds were due east. I lived in an apartment that was on a big lake and I pretty much watched most of the storm outside on the west facing wall of the apartment building. Man it was incredible. The winds were sustained about 50 -60. Every now and then a gust would come  through and it was
so impressive to see the trees shake so violently. The sound was equally as impressive with a roar like I never heard before.
Of course what I experienced was nothing like what they saw in Homestead, Fl but being my first hurricane I was freaking amazed.
Truly a memorable night. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
Re: Andrew 24 years ago
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:13:10 AM »
Margate, FL is in a very high risk hurricane zone. 83 hurricanes have been recorded in the Margate, FL since 1930. The largest hurricane was Unnamed in 1886. 40 percent of all hurricanes in America strike Florida. The most recent of the major hurricanes struck in 2005, which caused $16.8 billion in damages.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
Ha, this really ages me.  I was living in Houston TX and in my mid-twenties at the time.  When she passed over Florida, there was quite a bit of uncertainty as to where Andrew would make landfall in the Gulf Coast.  Initial reports put it right into Galveston.  I remember all the stores being out of nearly everything.  The city manager of Galveston advised evacuation to the residents.  I remember after it actually made landfall in Louisiana, said city manager got lambasted by the media and others for that recommendation.  She pretty much told everyone to piss off, as she'd rather err on the side of caution then have lives lost because of inaction.

I remember standing outside my apartment door and feeling the only thing Andrew gave us in SE Texas...about a 35mph wind gust.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
Ha, this really ages me.

Some of us weren't born yet  ;)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
I was doing what I loved most. Bow hunting monster mule deer on the North Kiabab in Arizona. Back then the hunt lasted a full month and I would spend all 4 weeks in the mountains doing what I loved.
All we had for news was a couple distant radio stations out of Cedar City and St. George Utah but remember listening to the news.   
Randy