Author Topic: VWS and Windows 10  (Read 25291 times)

Offline shaggy073077

Re: VWS and Windows 10
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
My 10 is home 64-bit with all updates & patches installed.  I haven't had any problems mentioned.  VWS and am running an old weather station WM-918 and mine is plugged into usb.  I have a serial to usb cable.

Offline mmiller9

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
I'm having all sorts of trouble migrating my VWS to windows 10. I have followed all the directions from others on how to copy it over into same directory however when I start the program it places me back into the serial port setup screen but won't save the settings.
I have migrated this same software several times to different Win 7 machines and always came up running just fine.
I am loading it as Admin with all privileges and still no luck.

Anyone have this same problem Win 10 64 

Thanks

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 02:29:58 AM »
MMiller9 take a look at the reply I posted to your other thread on this just now.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 01:06:10 PM »
So what was the final verdict ? Looks like I'm in the same boat; running Windows 10 Pro and VWS aprs V 2.0.2.0 and nothing. Sorry I'm late
to the party but wondered what the fix is/was ? Thank you!

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »
There is no real fix other than to get off of it. It crashes with no rhyme or reason so I have it scheduled to reboot every 4 hours.

As my game plan I loaded both Weather Display and Cumulus for testing a while back now. I didn't intend it to be this long, but I like aspects of both, but have not picked which one will drive my site.

Once I figure that out, I will take the time to redo the Saratoga Scripts to match that program, shut down all writing features of VWS except what is needed to generate the one "broadcast slide" which is below because it can't be duplicated easily any other means that I could find. Its sentimental I know but its Mom. Hopefully with all the other features shut off it won't crash so often.

Hope that helps.
Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
I truly appreciate the quick response and feedback. I will try Weather Display first and see how that works. Thanks again !

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »
Weather Display has tons of features but not so intuitive to setup or at least when I did so. But has never crashed.

Cumulus looks great and is very very easy to setup/configure, and also has never crashed. It is a bit strange to do updates/upgrades where you just copy it over your existing files. Not sure where custom code lives as not to be overwritten.

My bet is that site scripts will be pointed to WD files since it is so simple. But I still may use Cumulus. I guess it depends on what data you need to reference.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
This will give me something to go on. Hope to hear what you finally settle on. Yes Weather Display is very intimidating to set up
especially at age 65. I liked VWS as I could tie in my Amateur Radio Station and report out via APRS. Not sure if I can use WD for that.
But we'll dive in and find out. thanks for your feedback...
Norm

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2021, 06:15:18 PM »
you can set WD to send out via TNC comport, or just create a APRS WXNOW.TXT file

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2021, 07:07:17 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback !!!
Norm

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »
OK so went with Weather-Display. Got everything configured after a week. Unfortunately have to figure out why it continues
to crash. I've gone as long as two days and as short as four hours. Hmmmmm....stay tuned...

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
Sorry to hear of your WD crashes.  I've been running WD for about 2 years now, maybe a bit more.  And on two different computers, I recently upgraded. I have yet to have a single crash on either PC.  Win10 Pro.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2021, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks. I'm very new to this program. But I'm assuming when the data feed stops and Temperature shows nothing that it
probably quit. Would like to see if a Virtual Com port will work More to come. Truly appreciate you chiming in. We'll continue to figure it out... Norm

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2021, 05:46:12 PM »
My WD is connecting to a WIFIlogger.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
that doesn't sound like a crash, instead it looks like a problem with the usb connection being lost or a driver problem
i.e if you reselect the com port, does the data then start flowing again?

one thing, make sure windows is not set to power down the USB (selective suspend)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:28:31 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2021, 06:02:14 PM »
With this logger, it's purely an IP communication.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »
its not all that clear
but I think
Greatlefty
has a USB data logger?

Offline Greatlefty

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »
Yes correct. I should have mentioned that I am using a USB data logger. But I may have cured the problem. For whatever reason,
I was running VWS with the baud rate set for 9600. The default rate for WD is 19200. I have now reset my David VP2 for the 19200
baud rate and so far it has not crashed. Norm