Author Topic: VWS and Windows 10  (Read 25292 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
VWS and Windows 10
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
I'm still running my production system with Windows 7-Pro, but have a test weather software system with Windows 10-Pro.
I tried to run VWS 15p03, and received an error message (attached) -- VWS wouldn't start.

I contacted Ed and he said
Just delete the file c:\vws\WININET.dll and restart

Regards

Ed

so I renamed WININET.dll to old-WININET.dll, then VWS would start and work again.  This may only happen with folks who have older installations of VWS and have updated them over the years, but it's something to be aware of.

Happy updating...

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
Re: VWS and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »
Ive updated my Hard drive with the SSD drive had to reload win 10 for what ever reason I cant seem to get VWS to load I have the latest version. I keep getting some message that say's no software will be installed or removed. Any help would be appreciated ](*,)

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
I finally got it working this morning. \:D/

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »
One tip on working with both Windows 10 and Windows 8 for that matter.  Even when you do a "restart" in the menu, it isn't a full restart like Windows 7 and older does.

I've had issues where an install hung and I had to do a reboot.  Start the install again and it would say a previous install was already working.

To do a full and true restart in Windows 8 and 10, go to the Command Prompt.  Run shutdown /r /t 0 .  That is /r for restart.  /t 0 is time zero seconds until reboot.  You can do a /s for shutdown instead of /r if you wanted to as well.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline cfuller57

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
Instead of using the cmd prompt, right click the Window Button, aka Start Button, and choose restart.
This will do the same thing.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Not always.  Sometimes the restart is to just reload what is cached.  Windows 8/10 have a "quick boot" feature.  That right click restart is just a reload of the quick boot.

I've been in situations where I was installing software, and the installation would fail.  Second attempt to install anything would fail stating a previous installation was still in process.  A regular restart wouldn't fix it.

That's when you have to resort to the command prompt restart, which is more like Windows 7 full restart.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »
I guess it's called Fast Boot in Windows 8, and Fast Startup in Windows 10.  But they both have it.  It's a hybrid shutdown to a hibernate file, and boot back up again off the hibernate file.  Usually that's fine, but sometimes can cause issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:39 AM »
Well for what ever reason when my computer updated the win 10 version to a newer one my VWS software stopped working, it would not let me open the file at all that I might not have administrator access. Ive never seen this before so I tried to reinstall all I get is a message stating that no software was installed or removed Ive got VWS downloads saved on a backup drive that wont install either. ](*,)

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
I've not had to reinstall in Win8.1, but in the past when I did in XP and Win7 I always had to go in and delete the VWS Installer folder in Programs. Don't know if that's what's happening in your case or not.

I just bought a little HP running Win8.1 as a backup, I absolutely will not go to Win10, I'll go to Apple or Linux.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Ive got WD installed and up and running I think Ill try this for a while I have been using VWS since 2005. Ill try to get my VWS at some point.

Offline swl2

• Adrian Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »
Being concerned that Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 in the near future, I finally bit the bullet and updated to Windows 10 4 days ago. I'm running Parallels on an iMac so I can continue to use VWS V15.00, p03 (and also Quicken). I was using WeatherLink 5.7 with a serial driver to USB connection, and after the Windows 10 installation, I did get the WININET error, and fixed that, but then found that my Davis VP2 console cannot communicate with the PC anymore. I ran an update and troubleshooter in the Device Manager, and it tells me the driver is OK (no updates), but also states that "This device cannot start (Code 10)", and also "A device which does not exist was specified".

A call to Davis Tech Support advised me to update to WeatherLink 6.0.3, which I have done, and I still have the same messages in the driver properties. Also, in the WeatherLink set-up walkthrough, it cannot communicate with the device, either. In trying to Test the port, it says "Error (-11) opening COM9. It is not present on your system, or is in use by another program".

Guess I should have stayed on Windows 7! Anybody have any idea of what is going on (or not) here? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
I had a problem with VWS not wanting to run after updating last summer to win 10. I ended up updating to V15.00 p05 which is under the VWS topic I believe there is a beta after installing it I was able to get mine running. Windows 10 forum has been a big help http://www.tenforums.com/ with a wide range of topic's.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »

Guess I should have stayed on Windows 7! Anybody have any idea of what is going on (or not) here? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

If you can't resolve the problem with Win10 and want to rollback here is a link to do that.

How to rollback to Previous version of Windows

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Here's the first shoe to drop
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/windows/yes-windows-10-subscriptions-are-coming-at-least-for-enterprise.html
And you know sure as night follows day, once you're hooked into Win10, consumers are next.

I've got XP systems that work just fine, they date back close to 10 years, with the new MS "utility" charge I'd have paid $840 for the OS - and continuing. How would you like to have a small biz with maybe 25 employees and having to pay $175 a month to the blood suckers at MS? - not me.

My stations run on FrontPage 2003 just fine thank you. This has to be the greatest boon ever to Linux and Apple.

Offline swl2

• Adrian Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »
Well, on the third visit to Davis Tech Support, they agreed that it appeared to be a driver issue. I was using WeatherLink 5.7 (for the last 10 years), and the Serial-to-USB data link seemed to be the problem. The Tech was puzzled that I had a Davis Serial Data COM device connected to a Gigaware Serial to USB cable (he didn't feel that the entire link came from Davis, but I feel that it did). He tried a driver update in his system, but it wouldn't load. He then came to the conclusion that I needed a new Serial-to-USB cable, so I ordered it. Unfortunately, this order occurred on June 29th (a Wednesday), and he stated that this was also the end of their fiscal year, and nothing would be processed on Thursday (as they closed the past years books), nor on Friday (as they opened up the new fiscal years books). Oh, then the weekend (they're not open on weekends). Oh, and Monday is a Holiday (July 4th), and they are not open then, either. So, the order would go in the system on Tuesday, July 5th. Well, they are in California, and I'm in Michigan, and my notification on Thursday, July 7th said the expected delivery date would be Tuesday, July 12th. Well, by then I'd been off the air for 13 days!!! But, it showed up today, I plugged it in, VWS came up, downloaded 1,760 data sets, and I'm back in business!! I really wonder how Bill Gates got so many MILLIONS (if not BILLIONS) from his stint at Microsoft. Clearly, they can do a better job than they have been doing for the last 20-30 years.

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 06:20:48 AM »
My station will be down 2 weeks this Friday if the new transmitter board for my Rainwise MK-III-LR does not ship soon,  :sad:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
Well, I took the plunge yesterday and installed Win10 on my weather laptop. It is an HP Intel i7-based machine with a 1GB hard drive in it. I started the download and install yesterday at 11:56am and it didn't complete until 8:12pm that night. Can't imagine why it took so long but I watched it off and on all day and could see that occasionally it would reboot but otherwise everything seemed to just run slowly.

After the install finished, startwatch cranked-up and that then triggered the normal start-up sequence I have set up. VVP, VPLive, VWS, Image Salsa, WL and WD all began their startup sequences. WL almost immediately failed and wouldn't start (I am running v5.9.3). Image Salsa also failed. All of the other software, including VWS, cranked right up and ran normally without any attention to get them running. I was very surprised to see VWS run. My website came alive and the normal uploads by both VWS and WD appear to be working for the most part. However, Fling will not allow me to log-in to my 1and1 account for uploads. I simply get a login failure indication. Not sure why but I will do some troubleshooting later this evening to see if I can identify the problem.

And, btw, I have been unable to upgrade my main desktop computer, another HP i7-based system. The upgrade process starts but then tells me my monitor isn't compatible with Win10. Have upgraded the video drivers for both the graphics card and the monitor without any luck so far. This is another thing to work on this week before the deadline hits on the 29th.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »
Well, I took the plunge yesterday and installed Win10 on my weather laptop. It is an HP Intel i7-based machine with a 1GB hard drive in it. I started the download and install yesterday at 11:56am and it didn't complete until 8:12pm that night. Can't imagine why it took so long but I watched it off and on all day and could see that occasionally it would reboot but otherwise everything seemed to just run slowly.

After the install finished, startwatch cranked-up and that then triggered the normal start-up sequence I have set up. VVP, VPLive, VWS, Image Salsa, WL and WD all began their startup sequences. WL almost immediately failed and wouldn't start (I am running v5.9.3). Image Salsa also failed. All of the other software, including VWS, cranked right up and ran normally without any attention to get them running. I was very surprised to see VWS run. My website came alive and the normal uploads by both VWS and WD appear to be working for the most part. However, Fling will not allow me to log-in to my 1and1 account for uploads. I simply get a login failure indication. Not sure why but I will do some troubleshooting later this evening to see if I can identify the problem.

And, btw, I have been unable to upgrade my main desktop computer, another HP i7-based system. The upgrade process starts but then tells me my monitor isn't compatible with Win10. Have upgraded the video drivers for both the graphics card and the monitor without any luck so far. This is another thing to work on this week before the deadline hits on the 29th.

Finally got my desktop upgraded to Win10. Problem was that I was running an older version of TeamViewer which had created a virtual graphic device. That is what Win10 was complaining about but it never clearly identified what "monitor" device was preventing the install to begin. I found it by using Device Manager that showed a virtual graphics driver. I uninstalled TeamViewer and then reran the Win10 update and it immediately said the system was compatible so I began the download and installation. I got the green-light shortly after 10:30pm, about 1-1/2 hours before the July 29 cutoff... The install went smoothly and so far, I've had no issues with installed software. The only issue I am seeing at the moment is a pop-up that appears every 10 minutes with a message that says "How do you want to open this file?" There is a list of software that can be selected but there is no filename indicated. I have rebooted but the pop-up just keeps happening on a regular basis every 10 minutes. I have to click on the pop-up and then hit ESC to get rid of it. I've attached a screen capture of the pop-up. Anyone else had this issue? It's driving me nuts.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »
Found my problem with the pop-up occurring every ten-minutes. I found a note on the Microsoft support website that mentioned something similar. The issue was a process that was being kicked-off every ten minutes, indefinitely by the Task Scheduler. The old process was something I had run many years ago back when I was running WinXP. It had apparently been running all this time, and failing, but until Win10 was installed it never complained about it. Crazy for sure and it makes me wonder what else could be lurking in the background that I am not aware of? Will have to do some sleuthing when I have the time.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »
Hey all!
   I now have a reason to be allowed to go on forum again. I got a new computer and I got the
Version of VWS for Win 10 and had it running pretty good. Every once in a while it would freeze up.
Today it froze and I rebooted and I cannot get it to run. I am getting can not open Com port.
I did not change anything. I am stumped. Help! :shock: :shock: :shock:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:23:22 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
Sorry I can't help with VWS but great to see you back,

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »
Hey thanks! I decided to double check all the connections and I believe the USB port was loosened. I have it back up and running. Still trying to figure out why it will freeze up at random times.
   I am glad I finally got to post something real again!
 ](*,) =D>

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »
I have v.15.00 Internet ed.  and what is the latest that is out there and is there a big difference between the current version and the one I have?
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Last I checked V15 is the newest.  I think it was left at P02 or patch 2.  Hasn't updated in over a year.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
My windows 10, 64 bit desktop really struggles with VWS.  It crashes and crashes.  I tried to make it run in windows 7 compatible mode.  Still crashed.
I loaded an ambiet patch to fix the crashing.  It helped, but the software still won't run more than a few days.